What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queenslander!

timka4

Bench
here we go the drug jokes haha, well naturally as qlders u hate him (waiting on fellow support from other NSwelshmen)

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Yup, the main reason is that it could lead to more biff as Qld will be gunning for him and so they should. I grew watching all the blues in the late 80's and early 90's as a kid and loved it. If picking White might lead to more of it then I am all for it. Hell I loved seeing Goddard belt Joey all those years back. Thats one of the main things I like about origin.

Amen.

Good post.

Dazzat

First Grade
After he was done dealing out losses to Queensland.

What was his win-loss ratio in Origin, including the games when he was playing second fiddle to Kimmorley and/or Toovey. I've got a feeling he'd be about middling.

Oh, how did the "great player in the world" end up playing second fiddle so much over his career. Didn't happen to Wally Lewis, and it certainly hasn't happened to Thurston.

Dazzat

First Grade
NSW selectors.

It's an interesting comparison. Queensland have won many a game with players pulled out of reserve grade, the maligned and the unknown.

John Doyle.

John Buttegig.

Adam Mogg.

Dave Brown (was playing reserve grade for the Roosters I believe at the time).

But NSWers whinge about a player like Gidley.

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
There's a little know piece of Origin history ... rarely talked about, but its important.

Back in Wally Lewis' heyday, there was a match at Lang Park against NSW where Queensland were winning 40-0 at half time.

In the sheds, the players got together, and Alfie said, "Look guys, Wally and Gene Miles are playing so well, let's go and leave them to it. We'll go to the Caxton for the second half and leave Wally and Gene to take on the Blues between them. We'll be back after the game to catch up."

Everyone agreed, and the 13 other players (only two reserves in those days) went for a few drinks at the Caxton, confident in their decision.

After full-time the team walks back into Lang Park and noticed the score 46-10. The team couldn't believe that Queensland, playing with the champions Wally Lewis and Gene Miles, were outscored in the second half 10-6!

Alfie queried Wally, "What happened mate. We were on a roll in the first half, and you didn't go on with it!".

Wally scratched the back of his head, "Yeah, mate. Tough first half. Geno was sent off after five minutes."

ANTiLAG

First Grade
What was his win-loss ratio in Origin, including the games when he was playing second fiddle to Kimmorley and/or Toovey. I've got a feeling he'd be about middling.

Your feeling is wrong. In non super league effected games Joey has a record of 12 origin wins, 5 losses and 2 draws. If you add the Super League effected games of 95 and 97 he is still ahead - 13 wins 8 losses and 2 draws. Thats not middling. That speaks to 5 won series, 2 lost series and two drawn.

As a Qld fan I disliked Joey for the skill and all round football ability he brought.

Your point on Thurston is accurate, however. I think Thurston has been an incredibly influential player in Qld's success. I truly hope that Qld get the five peat and Thurston and Inglis are remembered as fondly by Qlders as Lewis, Meninga and Langer are. Thurston's success had an element of luck to being selected. The '06 series it could have easily been '05 grand final winning Prince in the jumper after Thurston lost the '05 series. Since '06 why drop a series winning half? Probably the methodology that has kept Lockyer in and Prince out.

Last edited:

RABK

Referee

Oh, how did the "great player in the world" end up playing second fiddle so much over his career. Didn't happen to Wally Lewis, and it certainly hasn't happened to Thurston.

Let's see a few of us Origin nerds throw together some of the greats winning % at Origin level.

I'll start with a couple of obvious ones - but i stress it's hard to research exactly what games a player played in and which ones they missed so i maye be slightly off.

Wally Lewis - 19 wins and 12 losses in 31 Origin games for a winning percentage of 61.29% and a losing percentage of 38.70%.

Andrew Johns - 13 wins, 8 losses and 2 draws in 23 Origins for a winning percentage of 56.52% and a losing percentage of 34.78%.

Allan Langer - 18 wins, 15 losses and 1 draw in 34 Origins for a winning percentage of 52.94% and a losing percentage of 44.11%.

Laurie Daley - 13 wins, 9 losses and 1 draw for a winning percentage of 56.52% and a losing percentage of 39.13%.

Shows just how close Origin is.

RABK

Referee
Johns tasted defeat as a percentage less than any other Great Origin player.

Those stats were from 2007 so Lockyer probably sits pretty with about a 62% win percentage by now.

And for the Record Johns was always wanted at club level - Lewis was rubbish in the ARL and punted from the Broncos to lead Gold Coast into oblivion. Don't hate Johns because he could turn up more than 3 times a year to play some footy.

Dazzat

First Grade
Alfie's stats suffered pretty badly because he came back (I'm not talking about THAT game) in an attempt to virtually rescue the Queensland team when they were going through a hard time ... he was at the end of his career and some would say he shouldn't have bothered, and should have retired much earlier.

RABK

Referee
What did happen to Thurston was a viewing of greatness at work as a 31 year old, one legged Johns with about 5 games of footy under his belt in 2 years play 2 of the top 10 Origin performances of all time within 3 weeks of each other.

When Thurston has even half the game Johns did in 2005 we'll talk about Thurston in the same sentence as him. Price and Petero >>>>> Lockyer and Thurston in value to this 4 year dominance.

Fittingly, we haven't looked like winning a series since the great one retired.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Johns tasted defeat as a percentage less than any other Great Origin player.

Those stats were from 2007 so Lockyer probably sits pretty with about a 62% win percentage by now.

And for the Record Johns was always wanted at club level - Lewis was rubbish in the ARL and punted from the Broncos to lead Gold Coast into oblivion. Don't hate Johns because he could turn up more than 3 times a year to play some footy.

Lockyer has a record of 15 origin wins, 14 losses, and 2 drawn games.
Win 48%
Loss 45%
Draw 7%

RABK

Referee
Lockyer has a record of 15 origin wins, 14 losses, and 2 drawn games.
Win 48%
Loss 45%
Draw 7%

Haha, pretty piss poor on paper but when you consider he had to contend with Johns and he missed the entire 2008 series it's understandable.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Haha, pretty piss poor on paper but when you consider he had to contend with Johns and he missed the entire 2008 series it's understandable.

So you're saying one of the reasons Lockyer's origin record is piss poor on paper because he could not contend with Joey's influence? I concur.

Do not think the 2008 series would change the numbers that much - 2-1. Plus there is no guarantee Qld would have won game 2 with Lockyer in the side.

cornerposter

Juniors
Newcastle might of recruited Wally if he had a drug habit :roll: