What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R12 Dogs.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I have always known him as a Roosters supporter, as do my Easts supporting friends.
You only have to watch the Fox telecast of the 2010 Grand Final and listen to the whinging throughout the whole game on every slight decision that went against the Roosters.
I usually notice his bias to the roosters in every other game I watch on Fox also.
I don't think he has forgiven the Dragons for 2010.
Sounded like an Easts supporter at the 2010 GF that’s for sure.

I know we had the Titans game by the throat but I’d honestly argue Souths were woeful against us. We were worse unfortunately. If only we’d turned up.
In 2010, the death riding was like nothing I've ever seen before. The media and other clubs were really out to get us, the reasons are still uncertain. It may have had something to do with Bennett winning in Sydney, or more likely a long ingrained hatred for St George.
It was a new depth of unprofessionalism from the media and opposition clubs. The closer we got to the grand final, the worse it got.
No doubt the Fox coverage was swept up in this and the commentary became toxic as a result.

In 2010, the death riding was like nothing I've ever seen before. The media and other clubs were really out to get us, the reasons are still uncertain. It may have had something to do with Bennett winning in Sydney, or more likely a long ingrained hatred for St George.
It was a new depth of unprofessionalism from the media and opposition clubs. The closer we got to the grand final, the worse it got.
No doubt the Fox coverage was swept up in this and the commentary became toxic as a result.
Yes, there’s always a level of contempt I’ve found. Gould getting away with calling us “the pretty dragons” most weeks during the Brownie era. Then we were “boring dragons” when Wayne was here.

But as you say the level of obvious dislike near the end was ridiculous. Upsetting the fairytale tigers / roosters GF applecart probably didn’t help.

Historically speaking my theory on the dislike in general is this. Indulge me …..

A generation of fans were brought up by parents that hated Saints for winning 11 in a row. Understandable in truth. That generation’s children (who already disliked us and moreover disrespected us due our late 80’s slump) were probably loathe to see us make GF’s in the 90’s, moreover were probably knocked out of semi finals football at some point by Saints. Anyone leftover, if there was ….. probably felt let down by momentarily supporting ‘that team’ that lost the first GF to a QLD team and then VIC team with the narrative at the time being “get behind the NSW team”.

I mean …….. that’s just one theory, per chance I’ve put too much thought towards it over the years 👀

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The Dogs at Belmore in a packed crowd with old boys turning up would lift them a bit more than other games and Saints did well to win under those circumstances although it was scrappy. What I did like is when the heat was on, Saints seem to find a way to score to get the lead. However not sure some of the tries they scored would have been scored against most teams. Saints have a terrible attack and would be one of the easiest to defend (apart from the Dogs).

Ramsey had a super game and I loved when Thompson ran through a gap and Ramsey brought him down easily. With Dufty in previous years that would have been a try for sure. Ramsey also attacked the ball and took the bombs not letting them bounce. Well done and a super effort by the lad.

The 2 x Molo's are great and good buys for the Saints. Hunt was at his usual best getting another few points to lead the Daly M awards. He has been in great form. A couple of missed tackles but he makes up for them in spades.

Amone's best game so far and will only get better. Moga filled in well for Rava. Saints also have the other Feagai twin so plenty of backups for that position.

How bad are the Dogs to let Macca score from dummy half and then Lawrie. Wow. Good to see them on the scoresheet but that means they will get more game time which is scary. They made Woods also look like a future immortal.

The definitely need to improve to beat the Cowboys in 2 weeks.

Sloth

Juniors
Guys
Any problems with Franky Molo yesterday - didnt look like he got real long minutes hope not injured . I just hope Hook turns the attacking tap on soon we need to score points not just grind out wins
He looked winded and gassed after the first 10 minutes, came back on towards the end and turned the tide. I don't think there is anything to worry about, I hope.

George Sancti

Juniors
We desperately need a half back who can control the game and has a good kicking game. I thought Amone was looking much better in both attack and defence and was taking a lot of ball as first receiver. I do not understand where Bird fits, he adds no impact as a second rower and his defence with Hunts is terrible. How many tries have been scored against us this year because one of them runs up out of the line and misses.

Woods cops a lot of flak but he is one of the few players in our forwards who locks the ball up and controls the speed of the play the ball effectively. The number of times opposition get away offloads when Lawrie, Simms, Bird or De Belin are in the tackle is ridiculous. Mybe also cops flak but at least he makes really solid first contact, generally does not fall off the tackle and tries to wrap up the ball. There were times against the dogs when he had opportunities to pass, from little dummy half runs, to players running into holes but held on. I think it must be difficult to play a bit of everywhere and have your vision and timing up to speed for each position.
I believe we have a half back who can control the game, has speed, plays above his weight in defence and has a good kicking game in young Sullivan. The more I see of this fellow, the more impressed I am. I know Hunt is a very good player and is our club captain but I think the time is approaching that Griffin will have no choice but to elevate Sullivan to our starting half back.

thebigredv

First Grade
I believe we have a half back who can control the game, has speed, plays above his weight in defence and has a good kicking game in young Sullivan. The more I see of this fellow, the more impressed I am. I know Hunt is a very good player and is our club captain but I think the time is approaching that Griffin will have no choice but to elevate Sullivan to our starting half back.

Hunt has just been selected at QLD hooker starting position. Take that in for second.

Add that to the fact that Sullivan is now free from injury and looks set to become a star halfback it's time to make that switch now. Get them both in our starting team and make the opposition reassess how they approach us as a team.

There's nothing wrong with Hunt and fundamentally he is a handy number 7. He's played well despite being behind a lousy forward pack and having one or two average counterparts in the halves in hid Dragons time. As well as he has played, our halves just haven't worked. By now it's time to strengthen our greatest weakness at hooker and reinvent ourselves as a team.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
That'll only happen if Ben Hunt is in Qld Origin camp or is injured.
Hunt has been selected at 9 for Queensland so we'll see how he pulls up after that. There's a two day turnaround between Origin 1 and our round 14 match against North Qld in Townsville.

dannyt

Coach
Nothing new. The death-riding was all through the 2000s, reaching the first peak in 2005 and the second peak in 2010.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Time for the coach to look at the big picture sure a new spine of hunt,Sullivan,alone,Ramsay ,will take time but if that doesn't generate more wins than the current geriatric edition well let's see ........

Latest posts