What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R8 FNF — St. George Illawarra v Penrith — *SPOILERS*

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You would've screamed at your own fullback for playing a game you'd normally see out of Corey Hughes :lol:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Panthers have got some real problems. I tipped them to miss the eight before the season but sat up and took notice after they beat the Bulldogs and Broncos. They've ben pretty shocking since.

They lack creativity and form in the key positions. Gower and Priddis have the organising skills but not the explosive running game they used to have. Wallace isn't getting early ball so it would be tough to judge him and without any sort of platform Wesser is a non-event. It's a shame because given a proper platform the Panthers have the backrow and outside backs to really pile on some points.

Dutchy

Immortal
Have to say though...Ive been impressed with Wallace in such a sh*t performing team.

Timmah

Staff member
He tried but noone around him wanted anything to do with winning. Saints knew they needed the victory and slugged their guts out and good on them. The problem now is that next week they're up against the Tigers. They can only hope that tomorrow is a close, physical game and one that will sap the life out of the Tigpies and give them a chance.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Dodger said:
He tried but noone around him wanted anything to do with winning. Saints knew they needed the victory and slugged their guts out and good on them. The problem now is that next week they're up against the Tigers. They can only hope that tomorrow is a close, physical game and one that will sap the life out of the Tigpies and give them a chance.

True, but the question needs to be raised, why weren't the Panthers as desperate? After the Broncos win they're now a Roosters upset away from being dead last.

Timmah

Staff member
I wouldn't even say a Roosters 'upset' given Parra's disrupted preparation. Penrith don't look like they're going to do anything... early mail was lower range finishing position for them, they appeared to have disproven that early but since those wins in the second and third rounds they've failed to lift a finger tbh... only REALLY getting close in that Titans match.

As Saints get more players back they'll come home, fringe eight though.

mxlegend99

Referee
Deadset, i feel sorry for Elliott.

He has inherited plenty of international players, rep players and generally great team... but those who have won before, just don't give a crap about winning.

It's time to ditch those players.... piss of Gower, Priddis, and Tony Puletua.... and replace them with guys who have a desire to win. Tony Puletua especially... he started off decently... then just played ok, and is currently our worst forward. For his size, no one should be stoppping him.

Timmah

Staff member
Can I ask... WTF was with Rooney's opening try? He was f**king OUT!

pantherz9103

First Grade
Mr Saab said:
Panthers are the lowest team in the comp without question.
They are laughable!

Agreed although your obsession with them is also laughable. But then again I can combat that with my own anti-Broncoism. So i guess i should just put up or shut up? :cool:

The Broncos :oops: you should be winning nearly every game with the team you have but conspired to play one of the ugliest games i've seen in years. 8-4 what the f**k is this baseball? The Broncos won the arsiest premiership ever last year that rightfully should have been melbourne's you just got lucky with some very arsey displays against teams that choked on the night and suffered from the 'refereeing' :p

Someone should tell the Broncos that Paul Simpkins called he still wants all his 'monies owed' for last years grand final deal.

Waits .............

Mr Saab

Referee
Panthers bottom of the ladder after this weekend

hahahahahahahhahahah

Matt Elliott the saviour....

hahahahahhahahah

Pathetic low team..

Timmah

Staff member
Most comprehensive wrap I've found of the game:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21674432-23214,00.html

Dragons taste rare victory
May 04, 2007

ST George Illawarra coach Nathan Brown is happy his players finally believe they can win again after the morale-boosting 28-16 win over Penrith at Oki Jubilee Stadium.

The Dragons tried every manner possible to throw away the two competition points before eventually securing victory nine minutes from time through a try to Wes Naiqama.

The loss was the Panthers' fifth in a row, coach Matthew Elliott admitting "I'm probably in the middle of the desert with the vultures circling."

With Dean Young back in the side for his first game in eight and half months and co-captain Jason Ryles, Matt Cooper and Mathew Head back on deck, the home side had a more imposing look.

Still they started in familiar fashion with fumbles on their first two possessions including one to Jason Nightingale with his first touch in the NRL, but they recovered to eventually run out five tries to three winners.

"With Deano and Rylsie back training we actually thought we could win today," Brown said.

"We've been going into games the last three weeks where a lot of people weren't sure we could win. It showed in the way we played.

"Tonight we went out there as a team that thought we could win.

"That little bit of experience in some key spots ...those young blokes just needed a bit of support around them.

"A lot of fans and media think because a kid's playing first grade footy at 19, 20 that he's definitely a first-grader...it just doesn't happen over night – they need guidance and that's what those blokes offered."

Nightingale became the 10th Dragon to debut this year, but recovered from his horrendous start to score a vital try before the break.

The game was littered with dubious decisions by referee Sean Hampstead and his video assistant Bill Harrigan. Hampstead got the ball rolling in the seventh minute with his decision not to go to the video proving foolhardy as replays showed Luke Rooney's knee on the touchline as he touched down.

The controversy continued as Harrigan awarded Cooper his first four-pointer of the night, only a split hair the difference between his and Rooney's arm touching the corner post.

Panthers skipper Craig Gower accused the officials of squaring up the ledger in awarding the try, his anger heightened on the half-time siren when a Head forward pass sent 17-year-old Chase Stanley over for his third try in just his third game for an 18-10 lead.

The Panthers closed to within two points thanks to Rooney's second of the night three minutes after the restart, the beginning of a sustained period of dominance by the visitors.

But Penrith failed to capitalise on a host a try-scoring opportunities, Rooney denied a hat-trick by Harrigan with his foot brushing the sideline as he stretched out to score.

"It's hurting – there's no getting away from the fact," Panthers hooker Luke Priddis said.

"We played well for 60 minutes ... it just got to a point at that 60 minute mark when we got the chance through repeat sets on them but after that we just lost our way."

Priddis was one of the main culprits, an unforgivable forward pas from a 20 metre tap summing up the Panthers' night.

Timmah

Staff member
Favourite quote, and the Raiders kids will eat this up:

The loss was the Panthers' fifth in a row, coach Matthew Elliott admitting "I'm probably in the middle of the desert with the vultures circling."

Timmah

Staff member
...and haven't looked like winning a game since scotty. Think about it.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Dodger said:
I wouldn't even say a Roosters 'upset' given Parra's disrupted preparation. Penrith don't look like they're going to do anything... early mail was lower range finishing position for them, they appeared to have disproven that early but since those wins in the second and third rounds they've failed to lift a finger tbh... only REALLY getting close in that Titans match.

Penrith in the past have been a team that plays really well or really badly. The last two years they were more like a team that never played particuarly well but played both well and poorly at the same time from one 10 minute period to the next. It seems they are getting better and more consistent on just being hopeless.

Don't know how on earth we beat the Bulldogs by 30. When another win finally comes they've got to use that as a catalyst to go on a big run. Parramatta were awful for the first half of last year but still made the 8 so i guess that might give fans some hope. I'm just really not in the mood to be kind about them right now, there's too many other troubles in my life as it is.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Dodger said:

My bad I got the games mixed up. I thought the Roosters were playing Manly but that's the Raiders. That's why I said it would be an upset. I can definately see the Roosters winning even though I still tipped the Eels.

Timmah

Staff member
Pritchard was on fire and Gower actually felt like it that night. The 'Dogs didn't turn up - took you guys for granted and showed little respect, as a result they were trampled. You lost 18-0 the week before so we figured you were easy pickings. Simple.

Mr Saab

Referee
Yes they did, took the 2 points and well done to them for doing so.

But what have they done since? Played like the Broncos but only 1000 times worst and thats bad.

Gower...origin....BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAH.
The team is just pathetic.
Elliott "drops" players and then plays them. Show some balls Elliott and actually drop them.
Even Bennett had the guts to drop Lazarus to reserve grade towards the end of 1994.
When Elliott joined the panthers the ship hit an iceberg bigger than the one that sank the titanic.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Mr Saab said:
Panthers bottom of the ladder after this weekend

hahahahahahahhahahah

Matt Elliott the saviour....

hahahahahhahahah

Pathetic low team..

I think I hate the Broncos more than I like Penrith

Latest posts