What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R8 | Knights 20-21* Sharks @ Hunter | Sun 2.00pm

Round 8 result :: Knights vs Sharks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
2. 14-14 - chance to take the two from directly in front 10m out and we take the tap. If you take the two at 6-0, why the f**k wouldn't you at 14-all?

Major mistake.
We know Bennett likes to take the 2. We went against that and scored a try and took that chance again. Wrong time to take that 2nd chance and if it went against Bennett I think a spanking is in order.

knightsarmy

Juniors
well.....one of those games
before kick off you thought we should win , give us a buffer from other teams that had lost
lost Gallen scored first all good...BUT man may calls seemed to go against us but still we need to regroup and refocus

Oh well onto next week :(

Apey

Staff member
http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news-display/Bennett-We-lacked-intensity-in-patches/73927

Bennett: We lacked intensity in patches

Sunday 5 May 2013 4:56 PM

00073312-leadimage.jpg

Hunter Ports Newcastle Knights head coach Wayne Bennett says the Knights should not have allowed themselves to be in a position to lose to the Cronulla Sharks at Hunter Stadium on Sunday afternoon.
Jeff Robson’s field goal in golden-point extra-time gave the Sharks a 21-20 victory while also handing the Knights their first home loss of the season.
Bennett said the Knights only had themselves to blame for the loss, with periodic lapses in concentration and effort costing them the match.
“The first 20 minutes we were OK, but other than that our last 10 minutes before the full time hooter was our next best stage,” Bennett said.
“The rest of the match there was just a lot of ordinary stuff from us. Not a lot of intensity and not a lot of effort.
“I don’t think the game should have been in that (golden-point) situation, as good as Cronulla played in the second half.
“They had 100 per cent ball completion, I don’t think they dropped the ball.”
Knights forward Chris Houston echoed his coach’s sentiments saying the loss was a tough one to take.
“The way we were playing there in the second half, they came out a bit harder than we did,” Houston said.
“It’s always a bad way to lose a game in golden point
“We have players that can swing the momentum a bit, but we just need to do it collectively.
“Someone will do it for a set and then someone else will try in the next set, but we all just need to get on the same page and try to win back a bit of momentum at stages.”
The Knights jumped out to an 8-0 lead early in the contest, but the Sharks levelled the scores when they were awarded a controversial try in the 27th minute, despite Wade Graham appearing to have knocked the ball on in the lead-up.
While Bennett admitted he didn’t think the try should have been awarded, he also clarified that he didn’t believe it the decision was the reason his side lost the game.
“We thought he’d knocked the ball forward,” Bennett said.
“They can ring me up and apologise tomorrow if they want, but that’s not going to mean anything to us.
“It had an impact, but the biggest impact on the game was our own performances.
“You hope something like that will go with you, but it went against us. I don’t think there’s much doubt at all that there was a touch on that ball.”
The Knights’ only injury concern from the match was Jarrod Mullen, who left the field midway through the second half with a bruised knee.

IanG

Coach
START RANT:
Very disappointed with our performance today. On current form we should've had them for breakfast. Especially after Gallen went off. Ill disciplined and complacent. And yes I'm joining the brigade to f**k Golden Point off! Very disappointed. I'm shattered to be honest. Cronulla should go out and buy themselves a Lotto ticket. Hope the boys take on board this kick in the balls. Raiders in Canberra next week wont be easy, especially as they will be full of confidence after knocking off the Storm last night. Thank goodness though it'll be a day game and not a night in sub zero tempratures
END RANT

Burwood

Bench
I discussed it in the game day thread. Can't believe that an ex-player, and especially one of 100+ games for the club, can be a video ref in games involving their old club.

In the game today, it very well could have been a case of Hayne saying no-try and Mellor saying that the video evidence is inconclusive, meaning that they have to go with the original on field no-try decision.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories, but we did get stitched up today.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Honestly, how did the ball change direction after Grahams hand "didnt" touch it. The video ref must live by different laws of physics than the rest of us

Any way. Ill dicipline lazy ruck defence and poor last tackle options killed us in the end. Disappointed but at least we are still in 5 th spot

Swarzey

Bench
We retain 5th spot and still have a two point buffer with a good for and against. I'm absolutely fuming over the dodgy calls from the refs but we have Canberra next week and I can't see them being impressive two weeks in a row.

Jono078

Referee
Refs had some major calls go against us, but it's not the reason we lost.

And Gidley is not the reason we lost. This was his best game for us in a long time, great kicks in general play, set up the try before half time and didn't miss with the boot. And as always his defense was top notch.

He shouldn't have been the go to guy in that last 10 minutes, but unfortunately he tried to take it on himself.

I feel sorry for Wayne Bennett. They just do not get it this team. Intensity when the opposing team goes up a gear must be met equally. We do not have another gear ATM. We are very good at putting chances away but we aren't looking very challenging around the ruck and subsequently must push wide for points. That said half our starting pack is in the stands.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Didn't realise we were without Mullen today. Would have made a huge difference. Kurt is just not a playmaker's arsehole. He's a good fullback and I imagine he'd make a good centre, but he shouldn't be the guy we're relying on in a pinch.

Who was the video ref?

Nuffy

Bench
Didn't realise we were without Mullen today. Would have made a huge difference. Kurt is just not a playmaker's arsehole. He's a good fullback and I imagine he'd make a good centre, but he shouldn't be the guy we're relying on in a pinch.

Who was the video ref?

Mellor

Jobdog

Live Update Team

Who was the video ref?
Mullo went off injured with about 15 to go.