What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs signings, rumours and injuries 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
hopefully we can unearth a top winger/ centre player preferably a souths junior or from elsewhere i want souths to be a real force in 2016

alien

Referee
shadow, i'm looking forward to the nines and seeing how some of these newer and younger players go. i've been counting down the days! :)

Rabbits20

Immortal
Look, what you've said is partially correct, Goodwin isn't the best centre around. He has been pretty damn solid for us though, especially last year.

Our argument is that we expect him to start in the centres in Round 1, regardless of what anyone else thinks (besides Maguire).

Whether a young gun comes in and performs better than him, that's yet to be seen.

No one here is saying Goodwin is the best centre in the world, or even at Souths.

He is a solid club centre who can do the job when he is called up. He is only human, and therefore has error in him.

Correcto:cool:

DiegoNT

First Grade
Remember shannon Hegarty? Im sure all of us can agree he was absolute shit for Souths. He was completely hopeless at defence, fielding kicks, brought nothing whatso ever in attack. But every week he'd get his 10-12 scoots out of dummy half and get his stats up so it looked like he was contributing to the team. Even if there was a potential play on Hegarty would still push the hooker out of dummy-half so he could do his 'hard work' and justify his role in the team. Goodwin is similar. He doesn't have the standard of defence/decision making a centre needs, has no speed or agility, zero passing game, and poses no threat so he doesn't take pressure off the halves and inglis in attack. All he has is the hard work, which if is what souths is after then maybe someone like turner should be in the centres. Many here say goodwin doesn't have many bad games (which i disagree with) but he never has great games either. Every centre in the game wants to dominate his opposing centre. Guys like Hodges, matai etc seem to take it personal, guys like lyon and Jennings like to make their opponents look silly with their skills, but when was the last time goodwin completely got the better off his opposite number? He did ok in a poor side that lost the final against the Sharks, and their was that time he shutdown lyon in 2013, but that's about it. Even average centres like bj leulia, takarangi, idris, jack reed, etc have those games were you think 'wow, he completely got the better of his opposing centre today'.

doyen

Bench
He is 21.
Compare him to the likes of fittler, lockyer, jt, johns etc and what they got upto at a similar age. The overdose couldn't be the reason as we've kept gray who was involved as well

It's a crying shame that we lost Dylan!!

If Sam hadn't been in the mix I reckon he'd still be with us.

Sths had to upgrade his contract to match his growing status;IMO,the drug business gave them a reason to kick him out to help get Sam under the cap.

Sths have botched this one!!

Dylan had issues, but,as a young bloke, could have been helped & encouraged more,IMO!

Last edited:
Diego I hear what your saying about Goodwin but if what you say is all true then you must know more about the game our team and our teams needs than the coach ( Madge) which with no disrespect to you I find highly unlikely seeing as our first grade coach consistently picks him .....

DiegoNT

First Grade
Diego I hear what your saying about Goodwin but if what you say is all true then you must know more about the game our team and our teams needs than the coach ( Madge) which with no disrespect to you I find highly unlikely seeing as our first grade coach consistently picks him .....

Well considering our coach is constently looking for better options at centre, and is not afraid to drop him/ shift him to wing the second a better option comes available shows that maguire sees him as depth player (who got en extended run last year due to auva'a's suspension and grays injury) and not the star that many on here make him out to be

Exsilium

Coach
I can't believe the discussion around Bryson Goodwin still has momentum!

Lets look at the reality of the situation and completely disregard meaningless stats which, in the right context can make any player seem more or less a world beater or a chump.

Bryson Goodwin is a solid, not spectacular centre. I compare his brand of football to the likes of Brad Tighe or a Chris Lawrence (08-2012) . Players who can hold their own but neither over achieve or perform poorly enough to see long stints in NSW Cup. They offer stability, consistency (good or bad) and are what I call the coaches "Go to" players.

Whilst some of you will say he is better than X player for X reasons you are merely trying to justify their position by using past performances as a measure but lose sight of what they are in the side for. They are a stop gap, a filler, a poor mans choice and to a lesser extent a coaches "safe option".

I used to LOVE Adrian Purtell, people slammed his performances, drop balls, missed tackles and most fans loathed his selection but he was solid in defence, played his heart out, made those 1% plays count and found the tryline more than some of his more notable peers. When other more "preferred" players came in and saw the same missed tackles, the same dropped balls they brushed over it like they never happened.

Why did he make the side? because Matt Elliott knew what he was getting, week in week out. When some of the juniors came into the fold, off he went to England and the rest is history.

Basically, just see him for what he is and you'll all find that his role in the side becomes clearer. When a gun centre comes along, like when Roberts was being shopped you'll soon forget about him and focus on the "other guy". All the while Goodwin will know that he did his role for the team and the coach.

:)

foreverinourshadow

First Grade

rabbitohs95

Bench
i can't believe the discussion around bryson goodwin still has momentum!

Lets look at the reality of the situation and completely disregard meaningless stats which, in the right context can make any player seem more or less a world beater or a chump.

Bryson goodwin is a solid, not spectacular centre. I compare his brand of football to the likes of brad tighe or a chris lawrence (08-2012) . Players who can hold their own but neither over achieve or perform poorly enough to see long stints in nsw cup. They offer stability, consistency (good or bad) and are what i call the coaches "go to" players.

Whilst some of you will say he is better than x player for x reasons you are merely trying to justify their position by using past performances as a measure but lose sight of what they are in the side for. They are a stop gap, a filler, a poor mans choice and to a lesser extent a coaches "safe option".

I used to love adrian purtell, people slammed his performances, drop balls, missed tackles and most fans loathed his selection but he was solid in defence, played his heart out, made those 1% plays count and found the tryline more than some of his more notable peers. When other more "preferred" players came in and saw the same missed tackles, the same dropped balls they brushed over it like they never happened.

Why did he make the side? Because matt elliott knew what he was getting, week in week out. When some of the juniors came into the fold, off he went to england and the rest is history.

Basically, just see him for what he is and you'll all find that his role in the side becomes clearer. When a gun centre comes along, like when roberts was being shopped you'll soon forget about him and focus on the "other guy". All the while goodwin will know that he did his role for the team and the coach.

:)

thank you ding ding ding ding ding someone has it right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts