What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs signings, rumours and injuries 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabbitohs95

Bench
i can't believe the discussion around bryson goodwin still has momentum!

Lets look at the reality of the situation and completely disregard meaningless stats which, in the right context can make any player seem more or less a world beater or a chump.

Bryson goodwin is a solid, not spectacular centre. I compare his brand of football to the likes of brad tighe or a chris lawrence (08-2012) . Players who can hold their own but neither over achieve or perform poorly enough to see long stints in nsw cup. They offer stability, consistency (good or bad) and are what i call the coaches "go to" players.

Whilst some of you will say he is better than x player for x reasons you are merely trying to justify their position by using past performances as a measure but lose sight of what they are in the side for. They are a stop gap, a filler, a poor mans choice and to a lesser extent a coaches "safe option".

I used to love adrian purtell, people slammed his performances, drop balls, missed tackles and most fans loathed his selection but he was solid in defence, played his heart out, made those 1% plays count and found the tryline more than some of his more notable peers. When other more "preferred" players came in and saw the same missed tackles, the same dropped balls they brushed over it like they never happened.

Why did he make the side? Because matt elliott knew what he was getting, week in week out. When some of the juniors came into the fold, off he went to england and the rest is history.

Basically, just see him for what he is and you'll all find that his role in the side becomes clearer. When a gun centre comes along, like when roberts was being shopped you'll soon forget about him and focus on the "other guy". All the while goodwin will know that he did his role for the team and the coach.

:)

thank you ding ding ding ding ding someone has it right

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
3vAStqqHEiAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Rabbits20

Immortal
I can't believe the discussion around Bryson Goodwin still has momentum!

Lets look at the reality of the situation and completely disregard meaningless stats which, in the right context can make any player seem more or less a world beater or a chump.

Bryson Goodwin is a solid, not spectacular centre. I compare his brand of football to the likes of Brad Tighe or a Chris Lawrence (08-2012) . Players who can hold their own but neither over achieve or perform poorly enough to see long stints in NSW Cup. They offer stability, consistency (good or bad) and are what I call the coaches "Go to" players.

Whilst some of you will say he is better than X player for X reasons you are merely trying to justify their position by using past performances as a measure but lose sight of what they are in the side for. They are a stop gap, a filler, a poor mans choice and to a lesser extent a coaches "safe option".

I used to LOVE Adrian Purtell, people slammed his performances, drop balls, missed tackles and most fans loathed his selection but he was solid in defence, played his heart out, made those 1% plays count and found the tryline more than some of his more notable peers. When other more "preferred" players came in and saw the same missed tackles, the same dropped balls they brushed over it like they never happened.

Why did he make the side? because Matt Elliott knew what he was getting, week in week out. When some of the juniors came into the fold, off he went to England and the rest is history.

Basically, just see him for what he is and you'll all find that his role in the side becomes clearer. When a gun centre comes along, like when Roberts was being shopped you'll soon forget about him and focus on the "other guy". All the while Goodwin will know that he did his role for the team and the coach.

Great post.

Ding ding ding.

This is a truth telling post.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I can't believe the discussion around Bryson Goodwin still has momentum!

Bryson Goodwin is a solid, not spectacular centre. I compare his brand of football to the likes of Brad Tighe or a Chris Lawrence (08-2012) . Players who can hold their own but neither over achieve or perform poorly enough to see long stints in NSW Cup. They offer stability, consistency (good or bad) and are what I call the coaches "Go to" players.

Whilst some of you will say he is better than X player for X reasons you are merely trying to justify their position by using past performances as a measure but lose sight of what they are in the side for. They are a stop gap, a filler, a poor mans choice and to a lesser extent a coaches "safe option".

I used to LOVE Adrian Purtell, people slammed his performances, drop balls, missed tackles and most fans loathed his selection but he was solid in defence, played his heart out, made those 1% plays count and found the tryline more than some of his more notable peers. When other more "preferred" players came in and saw the same missed tackles, the same dropped balls they brushed over it like they never happened.

Why did he make the side? because Matt Elliott knew what he was getting, week in week out. When some of the juniors came into the fold, off he went to England and the rest is history.

Basically, just see him for what he is and you'll all find that his role in the side becomes clearer. When a gun centre comes along, like when Roberts was being shopped you'll soon forget about him and focus on the "other guy". All the while Goodwin will know that he did his role for the team and the coach.

Agree with a lot of what you say.
The only thing i disagree with is you say he has never had an extended stay in nsw cup, he was dropped for the back end of 2014 (not to mention his stints in lower lower grades at other clubs)
But yes he is a poor man's centre, a stop gap, someone to fill in until a junior comes along. He's a relatively safe option, while we know he's not the best back it might be less of risk then using someone like Olive or Goolagong before they are ready. You say that 'preferred players' who made similar mistakes to purtell tended to have some of there mistakes glossed over, similar thing happened last year with walker and goodwin. They both got caught out in defence regularly, but walkers youth and x factor in attack meant he wasn't called out on it as much.
I do agree that once a gun centre comes along we will forget about Goodwin, it's already happened in 2014 whem auva'a took his place.

Exsilium

Coach
Agree with a lot of what you say.
The only thing i disagree with is you say he has never had an extended stay in nsw cup, he was dropped for the back end of 2014 (not to mention his stints in lower lower grades at other clubs)
But yes he is a poor man's centre, a stop gap, someone to fill in until a junior comes along. He's a relatively safe option, while we know he's not the best back it might be less of risk then using someone like Olive or Goolagong before they are ready. You say that 'preferred players' who made similar mistakes to purtell tended to have some of there mistakes glossed over, similar thing happened last year with walker and goodwin. They both got caught out in defence regularly, but walkers youth and x factor in attack meant he wasn't called out on it as much.
I do agree that once a gun centre comes along we will forget about Goodwin, it's already happened in 2014 whem auva'a took his place.

It's like we have all aligned!

doyen

Bench
You guys give me way too much kudos hahaha

In your summation of Goodwin you failed to mention he'd played 10 tests for NZ,scoring 8 tries & 58 pts. 8 tries in 10 tests is a pretty good strike rate in international footy.

He has also played in 140 NRL games scoring nearly 450 pts.[52 tries].

So he is a more than handy player.

Maybe better than,say,Purtell!!

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
In your summation of Goodwin you failed to mention he'd played 10 tests for NZ,scoring 8 tries & 58 pts. 8 tries in 10 tests is a pretty good strike rate in international footy.

He has also played in 140 NRL games scoring nearly 450 pts.[52 tries].

So he is a more than handy player.

Doyen mate great post. Great facts here.

You are great at truth telling.

We are fellow truth tellers re Goodwin:)

Dogmatix

Juniors
Wikipedia does say Bryson Goodwin has scored 8 tries from 10 games for NZ. But claims The Rugby League Project as the source and it says 6 tries from 9 games for Bryson in internationals

His 6 tries are 0 vs Australia, 1 vs England, 2 vs France, 2 vs Scotland and 1 vs PNG. This shows that Bryson can score tries if he drops back down in class to play World Cup minnows. Put him back in the Bears in NSW Cup and he will score plenty of tries as he will appreciate the class drop

doyen

Bench
These centres--Roberts,Lafai,Hiku,Copley & Jennings have been on the market in the silly season & who do we end up with----Hymel HUNT!!??

Jennings to the Eels;Copley signed by the Roosters!

DiegoNT

First Grade
Already been mentioned, but it's popped up again on The mole, Titans are after Goodwin. Souths apperently only signed goodwin to a very small contract and titans are offering a lot more money

Rabbits20

Immortal
Already been mentioned, but it's popped up again on The mole, Titans are after Goodwin. Souths apperently only signed goodwin to a very small contract and titans are offering a lot more money

Well we need to keep him.

We can't lose anymore players.

We are already too thin in the backs.

We have too much inexperience with young ones.

Bryson adds much needed experience and leadership.

If he goes though, good on him. He does deserve a pay rise.

Rabbits20

Immortal
So on the Mole scoops it says Goodwin would earn double at the Titans.

It also says Bryson has regularly asked for a release and Madge continues to deny it.

It's obvious why, we can't seem to get another decent centre.

If Bryson goes we need a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts