What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs signings, rumours and injuries 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

alien

Referee
Adam's biggest asset is his goal-kicking.

If he stays fit he will consistently nail 200+pts in a season.I admit it's hard to criticize a player who converts 4 to 6 almost every time.

But ther than that skill I reckon he can be equalled in every other facet of a halves game & significantly improved on;particularly since he has been affected by injury & busted confidence!!

Walker is an excellent goal-kicker.

it's not just his goal kicking, but also his kicking in general play.

DiegoNT

First Grade
At the back end of 2015 our forwards were being dominated. They were being dominated in tackles, getting slow play the balls and generally being out enthused by their opposition. It's hard for any halves to perform under them kind of conditions.
The reduced interchange is thought to be in favour in 'jack of the box' type halves like milford, but i think it's going to make the game manager halves, guys like cronk, reynolds, widdop or even robson more important to their team. Repeat sets (and not giving away 7 tackle sets), field position, working to specific game plans and playing smart footy will become vital. The last time we saw a reduction in interchange, in 2008, it gave rise to heavily structured teams being successful, from. Melboure, des hasler coached manly and bulldogs teams, Bennetts incredibly boring dragons teams and eventually Maguire's souths.
The proposed changes to the interchange rules are said to bring fatigue, make space more open etc, yet the same could be said about 9s. It was supposed to favour niopy running halves, the excitement machines, it certainly wasn't expected to favour a halve like Reynolds 2 yet not only was Reynolds effective, he was completely dominant, by far the best player in last year's tournament with smart intelligent play and accurate kicking.

handyman2190

Bench
Don't worry, people close to Adam and his family say he is going nowhere, he bleeds red and green.

Thats what we would all like to think but money talks he is on marginally more than keary who many here say he is on 450/500k so my mail is AR is on 550k i think keary at the moment is overpaid, thats another subject , so a good 7 is worth say 600 same as hodgkinson who kicks goals etc etc if he is being offered 800 or 900k we cant afford him unless keary goes cody steps up to 6, which in my opinion would not be a bad thing . Keary in u20s kicked in general play and goals but for some reason has dropped this aspect of his game, cody does it all it may suit us better as well as free money up to keep AR which id like to keep.

doyen

Bench
Thats what we would all like to think but money talks he is on marginally more than keary who many here say he is on 450/500k so my mail is AR is on 550k i think keary at the moment is overpaid, thats another subject , so a good 7 is worth say 600 same as hodgkinson who kicks goals etc etc if he is being offered 800 or 900k we cant afford him unless keary goes cody steps up to 6, which in my opinion would not be a bad thing . Keary in u20s kicked in general play and goals but for some reason has dropped this aspect of his game, cody does it all it may suit us better as well as free money up to keep AR which id like to keep.

If Cody has a very good all round game;including a top kicking game;he should be in the halves with Keary as they are both sharp attacking players;players who are able to take on the line with speed----two speedy halves a big bonus in the evolving game.

Cody,if he does, in fact prove the goods, should have AR looking over his shoulder.

Cody is a very accomplished goal-kicker too!

If Cody can match AR's kicking game, his extra running skills & general creativity should give him the nod.
How good Cody is in top company,however,remains to be seen!!

Last edited:

doyen

Bench
At the back end of 2015 our forwards were being dominated. They were being dominated in tackles, getting slow play the balls and generally being out enthused by their opposition. It's hard for any halves to perform under them kind of conditions.
The reduced interchange is thought to be in favour in 'jack of the box' type halves like milford, but i think it's going to make the game manager halves, guys like cronk, reynolds, widdop or even robson more important to their team. Repeat sets (and not giving away 7 tackle sets), field position, working to specific game plans and playing smart footy will become vital. The last time we saw a reduction in interchange, in 2008, it gave rise to heavily structured teams being successful, from. Melboure, des hasler coached manly and bulldogs teams, Bennetts incredibly boring dragons teams and eventually Maguire's souths.
The proposed changes to the interchange rules are said to bring fatigue, make space more open etc, yet the same could be said about 9s. It was supposed to favour niopy running halves, the excitement machines, it certainly wasn't expected to favour a halve like Reynolds 2 yet not only was Reynolds effective, he was completely dominant, by far the best player in last year's tournament with smart intelligent play and accurate kicking.

The i/change drops to 8 for this coming season & plans are to go to 6 in the near future!

The idea is,in fact, to promote a more exciting,open,running game! More viewer friendly--personally,I can't oppose that idea.

Last edited:

alien

Referee
The i/change drops to 8 for this coming season & plans are to go to 6 in the near future!

The idea is,in fact, to promote a more exciting,open,running game! More viewer friendly--personally,I can't oppose that idea.

i think the interchanges dropping down to 8 will make a significant difference. i don't think it will need to be dropped to 6

DiegoNT

First Grade

Yea that's what the theory is, doesn't mean that's what will happen.
It could just as easily mean teams switch to a more grinding game plan to accommodate the less interchanges. Athletic back rowers with an offload replaced by workhorse. Fast exciting centres and wingers replaced by bigger bodies that can help the forwards out with high work rates. Live wire attacking hookers like granville, segaryo faded out in favour of rugged defensive oriented hookers like ballin and friend. Halves that can control a game and kick teams into submission. Game plans around slowing the ruck even more and maybe teams picking adapting the roosters tactics of giving away penalties in strategic occasions.

The argument that it'll open the game up like the old days is kind of ignorant. Yes attacking football can be achieved if the other team is fatigued, but back in the old days the defenses weren't as good, coaching less advanced, players on average weren't as fit, and the gap between the good teams and the bad was alot bigger back then. Reducing the interchange isn't going to be the magic bullet to produce football like the olden days

Rabbits20

Immortal
Reynolds and Keary were both subdued in the back end of 2016.

On that form , one risks losing their position , as we need at least one real damaging spark in our halves. Given AR kicking game and defence , Keary is the one who will be under pressure this year . He needs to lift significantly and be a real threat to opponents defence else Walker will claim his spot.

So they were subdued in the back end of 2016???

Oh you can tell the future:lol::lol::lol:

Agree re Keary being under more pressure.

Keary is money hungry. I reckon he will go.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Good post.

Rabbits20

Immortal
On 2gb sport GI just said he wants to honour his contract with Souths which finishes at the end of 2017.

He says he doesn't know where he will be beyond that though.

alien

Referee
a decision doesn't have to be made yet. he is contracted to souths until the end of the 2017 season and we don't know if he will get injuries again this year. maybe a decision should be made after the 2016 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts