What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs signings, rumours and injuries thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabbitohs95

Bench
So for those who were at the last home game (against the Cowboys) each year they show the players that are set to leave at the end of year. Thought i'd give a run down.

- Matt Hyland (Released)
- Nat Neale (Released)
- Joe Picker (Apparently Retirement)
- Beau Champion (Parramatta Eels)
- Ben Te'o (Irish Rugby)
- Sam Burgess (English Rugby)

I believe the club is going for more of a development/attracting younger players style for the coming years, with the exception for Glenn Stewart and Tim Grant who are direct replacements for Sam Burgess and Ben Te'o, however it is good to see that the club is looking to re-sign a lot of promising under 20's players as well as recruiting players such as Cody Walker and Damon Goolagong.

hurricane57

Juniors
So for those who were at the last home game (against the Cowboys) each year they show the players that are set to leave at the end of year. Thought i'd give a run down.

- Matt Hyland (Released)
- Nat Neale (Released)
- Joe Picker (Apparently Retirement)
- Beau Champion (Parramatta Eels)
- Ben Te'o (Irish Rugby)
- Sam Burgess (English Rugby)

I believe the club is going for more of a development/attracting younger players style for the coming years, with the exception for Glenn Stewart and Tim Grant who are direct replacements for Sam Burgess and Ben Te'o, however it is good to see that the club is looking to re-sign a lot of promising under 20's players as well as recruiting players such as Cody Walker and Damon Goolagong.

Boy, I am not impressed with Tim Grant.

Rabbits20

Immortal
For those who might not have known or were unsure Auva'a is signed for next year when he signed with us it was a 2 year deal. I am expecting Ben Lowe to be given a 1 year contract. I think he deserves it as well, he is putting in off the bench he is making 30 plus tackles off the bench and last week he made 18 hit ups. I would only expect home to make about 8-10 hit ups. Lately he has cut out the silly penalties too.

southsport

First Grade
Reports that Glen Stewart is having more surgery today and that his playing days with moanly are over.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Reports that Glen Stewart is having more surgery today and that his playing days with moanly are over.

I'm starting to think his signing was a waste of time and a big chunk of money which we could have spent a lot better. He must have a terrible ankle problem.

I hope I'm wrong but we might struggle to get him to play even 8-10 games next year.

He might not play as well either, he may be off the pace. Considering he is about 30 now I think he may continue to struggle or have more issues with his ankle.

Galeforce

Bench
Bad luck for Stewart if he does not get a chance to have a farewell home game for Manly.

With my Souths hat on , this is probably the best scenario for Souths.
If Stewart wants to play on next year , he will have a full off season to get ready with Souths and will be fresh and should be fully fit.
If he cannot get over his injury , will be a Stewart decision if he needs to retire. I would expect that he would retire if he cannot get over his current injury.

Franko

Juniors
I'm starting to think his signing was a waste of time and a big chunk of money which we could have spent a lot better. He must have a terrible ankle problem.

I hope I'm wrong but we might struggle to get him to play even 8-10 games next year.

He might not play as well either, he may be off the pace. Considering he is about 30 now I think he may continue to struggle or have more issues with his ankle.

We will have to see but I must admit I would rather of loaded up on someone like Kevin Proctor.

Achillies

Juniors
If he cannot get over his injury , will be a Stewart decision if he needs to retire. I would expect that he would retire if he cannot get over his current injury.

Why would he retire when he stands to collect over a million dollars for playing very little footy over the next two years for a club he has no emotional attachment to?

Bad signing from the get go.

The club was to quick to replace Sam. With Toms development i dont know that we needed to go and out and buy another big name forward.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Why would he retire when he stands to collect over a million dollars for playing very little footy over the next two years for a club he has no emotional attachment to?

Bad signing from the get go.

The club was to quick to replace Sam. With Toms development i dont know that we needed to go and out and buy another big name forward.

Yep it seems like it is a bad signing. We should have waited and thought about buying a younger forward than Glenn Stewart maybe a forward around 25. I know there isn't too many on the market but the club probably could have assessed options better.

Hopefully Glenn's signing isn't similar to how much footy Champion played over the last 2 years.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Rumoured that Dylan Farrell may be offloaded by St George for next year. Seems a bit strange considering B. Morris might be off to the Dogs.

Considering Champion is leaving and it looks like Merritt and Tuqiri are retiring we need another back. I don't know if we are getting R. Robinson from Canberra but it doesn't look like it at this stage.

For next year so far these are our backs:

1. Inglis
2. Johnston
3. Walker
4. Auva'a
5. Goodwin/Gray/Reddy

Damon Goolagong and Irae Simone won't be ready fo first grade next year, probably a big chance for 2016.

I think Farrell would be a good choice if he wanted to come back. I know he has had injury problems this year but I think he will be fine for next year and play a lot of footy. What does anyone think?

Also Reddy and Goodwin are off contract at the end of 2015 we could sign Dylan for 2 years.

ram raid

Bench
If souths don't win or at least play well in the GF this year I don't expect Reynolds to be the starting half next year.

Battered Burgess beats pain barrier

By Matt Encarnacion, Western Sydney Correspondent
NRL.com
7:30am Sat 30th August, 2014

Sam Burgess crosses for one of his two tries of the evening in the Rabbitohs 21-14 win over the Bulldogs. Credit: Grant Trouville. Copyright: NRL Photos.

Having been battered and bruised for the first 46 minutes, Sam Burgess looked a broken man when he limped up the tunnel after his second try against the Bulldogs on Thursday night.
His team had been fumbling their way through a rotten night, unable to find their usual rhythm in attack that had been the Rabbitohs' trademark since the Burgess brothers arrived on our shores.
So when the departing star hauled his beaten frame into the sheds at a critical junction in the match, South Sydney's hopes of a statement victory seemed to go with him as the Bulldogs regained the lead not long after.
"I was in that much pain, that was all I was thinking. [But] the doc managed to calm me down and I got back out there," he said post-game.
Burgess's inspirational return to the field coincided with momentum turning in South Sydney's favour, as halfback Adam Reynolds ripped the carpet from the Bulldogs' feet with a handful of clutch plays at the death.
His position in the halves under threat, Reynolds forced a line dropout, threw a long cutout for the match-winner, then sealed it with a sideline conversion, a penalty goal and field goal in the closing minutes.
And he later said his teammate's inspirational comeback might've had something to do with it.
"Seeing what he puts his body through, it's a massive eye-opener for everyone else. It gives all the boys a lift. It was great having him out there," Reynolds said.
"Sammy's a special player and all the boys love having him around. He's tough, and gets the boys rolling forward. He's an inspiration to everyone out there on the field at the time."
By the end of the night, Burgess finished with a game-high 193 metres, two tackle breaks, 31 tackles and two tries – a statline that even had his coach at pains to describe his frontman's willingness to continually put his body on the line.
Asked on the exact nature of Burgess's ailments, Michael Maguire said: "I think just his whole body. He throws himself around and he's incredible how he keeps going.
"But I think he had a knee clash with Greg [Eastwood], and it was just a bit of a cork there. But that's just how Sam plays, we all know that.
"He does it for his teammates, which is great to have. But as a team, everyone gets behind each other, and that was just one of those moments, there that Sammy did for the team. He just kept going."
His personal duel with countryman James Graham certainly lived up to the billing, with Burgess copping one shot in particular to the ribs from the British bulldog in the first half that halted play for a few moments.
"Yeah, he got me a couple of times me old mate. He's a great bloke, but that's footy you know?" Burgess said.
"I was probably trying to do the same thing to him. We're best of mates after the game. That's footy out there. I really admire the way he plays.
"I thought he was very good tonight. And he's tough to control when he's in that form. I've played with him many a times and certainly enjoying playing with him, sometimes it's tough to play against him."
So a knee cork, bruised ribs, and a shoulder problem that Burgess describes as "ongoing". How does he do it?
"I really don't know. I guess just the team, really. Obviously we've got a good bond with the team," he said.
"I want to be out there as long as I can. I struggled a bit tonight. I've got a few little injuries but I managed to get through. I don't know, I kind of enjoy the game and enjoy playing with my teammates.
"... I've not been this sore for a long time. We'll see how we go. Next couple of days will be a telling factor. Like I said, we've got a good medical staff and we'll certainly work out on trying to get as much recovery as we can this week."

http://www.nrl.com/battered-burgess-beats-pain-barrier/tabid/10874/newsid/81411/default.aspx

Rabbits20

Immortal
We should strongly consider resting Sam this week. We have made the top 4 which is the main thing. Positioning in the 4 doesn't matter too much cause it is all Sydney teams.

Without Sam coming back on we probably lose and our top 4 spot would have been in jeopardy. He is completely irreplaceable we don't want him playing and completely stuffing himself next week.

McQueen may have a rest as well his eye looks bad.

Rabbits20

Immortal
If souths don't win or at least play well in the GF this year I don't expect Reynolds to be the starting half next year.

You may be right there. He has to step up. It's pretty much now or maybe never for Adam. I know it sounds harsh but we have been in big games and he has gone missing.

We should strongly consider resting Sam this week. We have made the top 4 which is the main thing. Positioning in the 4 doesn't matter too much cause it is all Sydney teams.

Without Sam coming back on we probably lose and our top 4 spot would have been in jeopardy. He is completely irreplaceable we don't want him playing and completely stuffing himself next week.

McQueen may have a rest as well his eye looks bad.

Kind of agree R20,but it wont happen re Sam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts