What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Race lines up NRL's quick men

oldmancraigy

Coach
To be fair, Jennings is a fair bit slower now than he was back then. 2008 Jennings wouldn't have got caught by Josh Morris. Not to mention that Jennings had a look back at Josh at the most pivotal moment of the race which slowed him down considerably. Had Jennings kept his head up and just ran he probably would have made it.

Didn't Jennings get run down by Grothe a couple of years ago (or was it lead boots Inu?)

It was the game that Penrith beat Parra 34-32 or something. I couldn't find highlights of it to check who it was. Jennings is explosive off the mark, but I'm not sure his top-line speed is as quick as other blokes.

Fibroman

First Grade
Jennings will win this event if fully fit. He is the only true power runner in this field and on a tartan track, in spiked shoes, the power runner will win.

perverse

Referee
i'm not really sure i understand the definition of a power runner, Fibroman... but you don't see much power in these thighs:

akuila_uate.jpg

?

Aku came to Australia as a sprinter... i'm not saying that Jennings isn't faster, i just don't really understand what you're saying regarding this power running business. Aku will definitely have Jennings beaten for technique... i read an article just a day or 2 ago regarding Jennings and his extremely unorthodox running technique.

Raider_69

Post Whore
its going to be one hell of a race
i dont give raiders drury low much of a chance tbh, he's quick but i dont think he's as quick as Jennings, Morris or Aku

Edited: I dont know now, thats a tough field
I've NEVER seen inglis caught in a foot race, he will be tough to beat i recon. And Hayne is no slouch. Lawerences records speak for themselves.
Low's done super well to qualify to this point. Ill be backing the young bloke but my money's on Aku

Last edited:

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I'm getting sick of all the posts saying that one player ran another player down. If a player has the ball in his hand, he naturally runs slower. Even the quickest player in the comp will get run down by other players if he is the one with the ball.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
I'm getting sick of all the posts saying that one player ran another player down. If a player has the ball in his hand, he naturally runs slower. Even the quickest player in the comp will get run down by other players if he is the one with the ball.

Plus, if a player gets into stride before another, they can reel in a player and it looks deceptive.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Race lines up NRL's quick men

ADRIAN PROSZENKO

May 16, 2010
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/race-lines-up-nrls-quick-men-20100515-v5eu.html

A potential starting line-up could be Hayne, Slater, the Morris twins, Michael Jennings (Penrith), Josh Dugan (Canberra), Jamie Soward (St George Illawarra) and Brett Stewart (Manly). The only sticking point would be that players involved in the finals series - four teams will remain in contention in mid-September - are unlikely to be released by their clubs.

------

A good idea & hopefully it can be part of future grand final days, but for the winner, it'll be like this year's premiers lifting the trophy & people saying yeah, but....( what about Melbourne Storm ? )

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
Ben Creagh runs very fast backwards ... he just needs Justin Hodges running at him and he's got this race in the bag.

ouwet

Bench
To be fair, Jennings is a fair bit slower now than he was back then. 2008 Jennings wouldn't have got caught by Josh Morris. Not to mention that Jennings had a look back at Josh at the most pivotal moment of the race which slowed him down considerably. Had Jennings kept his head up and just ran he probably would have made it.

Josh Morris.jpg

Jennings looked back because he knew Morris was going to get him... From the above pic Jennings was at full speed and had a 5 metre (minimum) head start on Morris who had to turn around. BTW morris is the guy on the far left who you can barely see in the shot (Not the closest Bulldogs player to Jennings that was Dene H).

Fibroman

First Grade
Micky Gordon and Lachlan Coote, who are both speedsters in their own right reckon Jennings is clearly the fastest at the riff. Not saying he will be the quickest over the 100m, but on a track in a pair of spikes, he will certainly be in the mix if this even goes ahead.

jc155776

Coach
I havn't read the whole thread but Isaac Gordon for me is the quickest I have seen in the current comp.

His try against the Broncos this year was pure speed. He scored an intercept vs Newcastle where he burnt Uate, although again as Uate had to turn its hard to judge.

Against the Roosters he was a few steps behind Nathan Gardner and only in second gear when Gardner scored his super solo try.

Any sprint race with leagues quickest men should take place in full footy kit AND at halftime on Grand final day!!!

clipser

Juniors
Why is brett stewart mentioned here and there? surely he would be unable to take part in anything of this nature this year

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Kevin Gordon is very quickly becoming my favourite player outside the Panthers. Origin 2011 should be a fair dinkum goal for this kid.