What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Race lines up NRL's quick men

saint pebba

Coach
I remember when Brett Morris first came into the dragons they were playing the storm at Kogarah on a wet night and Morris gave Slater a 15m start and rounded him up within 50m.

The thing with the Morris boys is they don't have the best accelaration but can maintain the speed over long distances.

Packy

Bench
I wouldn't disagree with anyone about Hayne being teh fastest. I remember when he gave Merritt an intercept and turned and chased him. When he need to go he does.

Kinda like Amos Roberts who on his day would have smoked absolutely anyone. Just didn't get out of snooze mode often enough.

chrisD

Coach
Jenko doesn't have last years pace, I didn't need Morris to run him down or Soward to maintain a gap to be able to see it, it's just there and it's really obvious (well obvious to anyone who watches Jennings closely).

hellteam

First Grade
You automatically think that players like Slater and Jennings would be the fastest, when they run they look so quick. But I've seen them run down plenty of times.

Can't ever remember Hayne or Inglis being run down, they just go as fast as they need to.

Bman26

Juniors
Slater over 100m isnt comparatively quick. Over 40m though he is lightning, its his acceleration that makes him look so quick. Over 100m from the Storm Inglis or after watching him catch Morris maybe Mad pup?

MacDougall

First Grade
If they have to run with a ball in their hand I would honestly say, with my Tigers goggles on, Chris Lawrence would win.

Without the ball I have a feeling Hayne would give it a shake.

andrew057

First Grade
NRL pace race set to explode

247663-dtstropy-greg-inglis.jpg

Source: The Daily Telegraph

GREG Inglis was barefoot the last time he raced over 100m.

"Yep, Year 9 at Macksville High," the Kangaroo superstar laughs. "We had a school carnival and I think I might've won that day. I know I definitely ran without shoes because that's the only way I've ever done it ... never worn a pair of running spikes in my life."

Widely regarded as the most naturally fluent sprinter in rugby league, Inglis has officially been granted lane one for a blockbuster dash that will finally end all water cooler, cyberspace and front bar debate over exactly who boasts the tag of NRL's Fastest Man.

Arriving in Sydney late yesterday for tonight's match against Parramatta, the Melbourne centre put on his first pair of spikes, practised his starts and later spent an hour touring the world-class Sydney Olympic Park facilities where he will be competing in September as part of the Competitive Edge Athletic All Stars meet.

Asics will be kitting out the Queensland Origin star - who will be one of eight starters vying for a $20,000 purse provided by Centrebet - in a customised pair of signature GI spikes, which will most likely sport the indigenous colours of black, yellow and red.

"And to be honest with you, I can't wait," Inglis grins.

"When was the last time our game did something like this? How long has it been since eight of the fastest players in the game all raced?

"Wearing the spikes will be a bit different because I've only ever raced barefoot, really. But the fans will love it, the players will love it ... I'm a big supporter of anything that puts more fun into rugby league."

Inglis has also outlined the seven rival players he fears most over 100m. An eclectic mix of Kangaroos, explosive Islanders and a Canberra Raiders smoky whom he insists is a genuine threat for that 20 large. And he's not alone in supporting them, either.

Jarryd Hayne

Ask which player he fears most over 100 metres and Inglis doesn't hesitate. "Have to be Haynesy," he says of the Eel, who covered a footy field in a just over 11 seconds at 15. "He's an incredible athlete. One of those guys you always worry about with the ball. We're expecting a hostile crowd at Parramatta Stadium but I'll be more worried about Haynesy, to be honest."

Kevin Gordon

Legendary Souths winger Mike Cleary once beat the late, great Ken Irvine in footrace at a sodden Wenty Park. But if he was having a punt on today's crop? "Oh, definitely that little winger from the Gold Coast. What's his name, Gordon? He doesn't rock, roll and fight like a lot of the others. He has beautiful balance, stays relaxed ... he'll win it."

Michael Jennings

PANTHERS conditioner Carl Jennings always laughs when asked what a sprint coach would make of his superstar centre. "Well," he'll deadpan in that thick English accent, "they'd pick him to pieces."

While he may boast the style of Max "Tangles" Walker, Jennings boasts footwork, acceleration and devastating Islander genetics, making him one of the game's most dangerous runners. Forget being run down by Josh Morris a few weeks ago, Inglis sees him challenging for the podium.

Chris Lawrence

Twelve years ago, Lawrence set a state record over 100m. The following year he set an Australian record over 70m. Both still stand.

"And I can still see him running now," NSW Little A's chief executive Kerry O'Keefe grins. "His leg speed was, and still is, absolutely phenomenal." Respected Australian track coach and former Olympian Penny Gillies is another backing the Eagle Vale product. "Chris is an incredible athlete. A beautiful runner," Gillies enthuses. "And being a Wests Tigers supporter, he'll certainly be getting my support if he gets a start come September."

Akuila Uate

Andrew Johns has seen 'em all in his time as a player and now coach.

"But none stretch out like Aku," Joey insists. "I've never seen a footballer boast more raw athleticism than this kid. You look at his big legs, big hamstrings, he's built like Maurice Greene, all power. He'll be leading over 40 metres and carrying my money for the rest of the way."

Josh Morris

While Centrebet rates Josh Morris a $7 chance and brother Brett tighter at sixes, Inglis reckons it may be yet another case of mistaken identity. "I'd say Haynesy, Jennings, Josh, they're the first three that come to me," he says. And so the debate continues. Like Nathan Hindmarsh backing Luke Burt. Or Melbourne pushing for Billy Slater to jag lane two. Even manager Sam Ayoub is making serious noise about having a space open up for one of his charges, Cowboys winger Michael Bani.

Drury Low

Unlisted in betting markets. Unknown outside Canberra. Even Raiders skipper Alan Tongue struggles to divulge much on this anonymous Kiwi whose phone was switched off late yesterday. "Ah, lives with Josh Dugan, how's that?" the captain laughs. Yet certainly Inglis has heard enough about the Auckland rookie, a 20-year-old centre who crossed for a double against the Warriors in his one and only NRL appearance a couple of weeks back, to tag him the race smoky. Get on!
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-pace-race-set-to-explode/story-e6frexnr-1225875222861

Can't wait for this. I'm hyped.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I seriously doubt Hayne is anywhere near the fastest players at the Eels

_Johnsy

Referee
IMO one of the Morris boys would go very very close. I remember Brett giving slater nothing but dust in his face, he didin't even get close. Brett actually put distance between him & slater.

Josh made Jennings look average at best the other week, made 10m on him over 70m.

I think Brett would beat Josh. I cannot wait for it, the real shame about this race for mine is that its not in full RL uniform and on a field. would be great to see it at 1/2 time of the GF. At least melbourne could field all 17 runners if they wish.