What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Race lines up NRL's quick men

C1WGA

Juniors
I would be very surprised if Greg Inglis runs 10.5 sec..he's fast but that's super fast.

Shane Whereat ran 10.5 sec but he was a pro sprinter before league.

I expect the winner Kevin Gordon to run between 10.8sec and 11sec just shading Inglis.

Last edited:

andrew057

First Grade
Usain Bolt chasing race against NRL's best

439626-usain-bolt.jpg

Flyer ... Usain Bolt. Source: The Daily Telegraph

USAIN Bolt definitely intends to visit Australia this year. Whether he competes in a proposed 100m race in Sydney is still under negotiation but is looking promising.

Whether the world's fastest man competes against NRL players as well as fliers from other football codes is under discussion between meet director Hayden Knowles and Bolt's people in Jamaica.

But one thing looks certain - with Sydney Olympic Park Athletics Centre already booked there will be a major track and field competition at Homebush on the night of September 15.

Sources last night confirmed to The Daily Telegraph that Bolt, the greatest sprinter in history, wants to come to Australia for a holiday in September after he wraps up his season, most likely on August 27 at the final Diamond League meet in Brussels or at the latest at the Continental Cup in Split, Croatia, on September 4-5.

Bolt broke the world record for both 100m and 200m in winning the sprint double at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games and broke both his own records in winning the double at the 2009 world athletics championships in Berlin.

He has never been to Australia, missing the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games due to injury and will also bypass this year's Games in Delhi in October.

But a run in Sydney on September 15 would suit Bolt and, according to a Telegraph source money would not be a deciding factor, even though a figure of $1 million has been bandied about as Bolt's fee.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-to-hit-homebush/story-e6frey6i-1225883366852

Danish

Referee
Can't be bothered reading back through the whole thread, but just thought I would add that Inglis will not win this race.

He is 10kg overweight, and this will cost him. If this race were in 2007 then I would back him all the way, but not now in his current tubby state.

People also like to make the assumption that because he looks like he is cruising, he must not be trying. I only ask those people to take a look at Bolt at full flight, he never looks like he is out of a canter, despite being the fastest man in the world. Inglis just has a very efficient running style.

IMO Gordon from the titans is the favourite for this race. He is an absolute lighnting bolt

Serc

First Grade
I've heard in a couple of places that Kev Naiqama (from the Knights) ran down Kevin Gordon in an NYC game early last year...and I'm pretty sure he is a tad slower than Uate in the Knights sprinting tests.

It was posted somewhere in our forum so I'll try and dig it up.

aqua_duck

Coach
I've heard in a couple of places that Kev Naiqama (from the Knights) ran down Kevin Gordon in an NYC game early last year...and I'm pretty sure he is a tad slower than Uate in the Knights sprinting tests.

It was posted somewhere in our forum so I'll try and dig it up.
I posted it, was during round 1 NYC last year knights VS titans, Gordon put a nice little in and away on Naiqama and got around him, Naiqama manged to turn and chase him down and put him into touch, though Naiqama is pretty deadly off the mark so not sure how'd he go over 100

Noa

First Grade
how do you draw that conclusion

Just a guestimate. Put the timer on him when he ran the field the other day, obviously not exact but he did it 11.6 to 11.7 in full footy gear, with a corked thigh, carrying the ball on a soft ground, easing down the last 30. Common sence would dictate he will take at least a second off that on the track, in light gear and spikes, running right through to the line.

jc155776

Coach
The race should be run at halftime of the Grand Final, in full footy gear, From tryline to tryline on grass.

Its the fastest player in LEAGUE.

Not a sprint race with league players in it.

Serc

First Grade
I posted it, was during round 1 NYC last year knights VS titans, Gordon put a nice little in and away on Naiqama and got around him, Naiqama manged to turn and chase him down and put him into touch, though Naiqama is pretty deadly off the mark so not sure how'd he go over 100

Ta...I can't remember it even though I would've seen it with my own eyes! :lol:

The forum search function is putting out some odd results for me at the moment (looking for the info on the 40m and 100m sprint times) so will try again later.

88.Knights

Juniors
uate to win (... 2nd after bolt of course and im not bias) edging out gordon, lawrence. inglis to finish down the bottom, doesn't have the body size to threaten the win, to big.

Johns Magic

Referee
They've released the odds at a couple of betting agencies for this race already.

Uate is good value at $1.40, but if you like to back the underdog you can take Bolt at $1.60.