What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Race lines up NRL's quick men

johnnyg

Juniors
Just saw an ad for their 6 o'clock bulletin & it sounds like Ch9 are going to use this tonight on their news.

It sounds reasonable, but is flawed. Even after the 20m line, Hayne swerved before straightening while Jennings virtually ran a straight line. Also, Hayne ran to reach the line, while Jennings dived over. Finally, even though it might be a guide, they weren't running side by side so it's all irrelevant. ( ie - they weren't running against each other, only doing what was needed to score )

Did they end up using it? Although not the best comparison, would still be good to get abit of an idea.

mene

Juniors
Fair enough then...Do you have any idea what time Mead runs over the 100m?

Totally agree with holding this event annually at half-time in a major game on a footy field in footy gear.. ie: Test or Origin.
Sure do.

Mead has run a 11.07 over the 100 on grass with no shoes. Kevvy has run 11.2 on track with spikes. Kevin has the better running style which is def suited to the track. David has issues with his running due to a chronic soreness, watch his running style and you will see him gallop. Many people have told him if he trained for running he could get a fair bit quicker ie. somewhere around the 10.8 maybe 10.7 mark for the 100.

Shannon Walkers fastest 40mtr - 4.67
David Mead - 4.78
Kevin Gordon - 4.86

add in Ryan Tongia from under 20s Titans and they could possibly have the fastest current nrl relay team ever.

These 3 have all beaten each other at various stages over the 3 yrs they have been at the Titans. Aaron Cannings has a personal best of 5 flat :lol: and he is a monster

petetheileet

First Grade
Ill throw Peni Tagive in...

Dell Speaks as though he is the quickest at the Dragons by a distance....video on dragons website sees him take on Nightingale over 40m (fair enough Nighty aint the quickest winger in the comp, but he is no slouch) he looks to get Nighty by 6 or 7 metres.

The most impressive thing however is his form and technique, looks incredibly balanced and upright with a nice long stride, would probably go better over 100.

Would love to know how he travels against BMoz and maybe even Soward over 40m

petetheileet

First Grade
Both the Morris boys seem to be great at chasing down blokes...

From when they were teenages, Josh always seemed to be a little more powerful than Brett, But Brett seemed to have better balcance/co

C1WGA

Juniors
Sure do.

Mead has run a 11.07 over the 100 on grass with no shoes. Kevvy has run 11.2 on track with spikes. Kevin has the better running style which is def suited to the track. David has issues with his running due to a chronic soreness, watch his running style and you will see him gallop. Many people have told him if he trained for running he could get a fair bit quicker ie. somewhere around the 10.8 maybe 10.7 mark for the 100.

Shannon Walkers fastest 40mtr - 4.67
David Mead - 4.78
Kevin Gordon - 4.86

add in Ryan Tongia from under 20s Titans and they could possibly have the fastest current nrl relay team ever.

These 3 have all beaten each other at various stages over the 3 yrs they have been at the Titans. Aaron Cannings has a personal best of 5 flat :lol: and he is a monster

Thanks for your reply MENE, it's very interesting...
I am certain that the Titans have the fastest relay team in the NRL by a fair margin.
Although I am a Bulldogs fan (since 1979) I really enjoy watching the Titans play, especially Kevin Gordon & David Mead because of their speed.
I think Kevin Gordon will play Rep footy next year.

The Gold Coast have had some real flyers over the years..

*Robin Thorne ran 10.8 sec in QLD League sprint 1987, played at the Bulldogs 1988-1990 then Gold Coast Seagulls from 1991-1993.

*Lee Oudenryn beat Martin Offiah in around 11 sec while at Parra but later played for Gold Coast Chargers?

* Dale Shearer played for Gold Coast Seagulls..not sure how quick he was but could really motor.

mene

Juniors
Thanks for your reply MENE, it's very interesting...
I am certain that the Titans have the fastest relay team in the NRL by a fair margin.
Although I am a Bulldogs fan (since 1979) I really enjoy watching the Titans play, especially Kevin Gordon & David Mead because of their speed.
I think Kevin Gordon will play Rep footy next year.

The Gold Coast have had some real flyers over the years..

*Robin Thorne ran 10.8 sec in QLD League sprint 1987, played at the Bulldogs 1988-1990 then Gold Coast Seagulls from 1991-1993.

*Lee Oudenryn beat Martin Offiah in around 11 sec while at Parra but later played for Gold Coast Chargers?

* Dale Shearer played for Gold Coast Seagulls..not sure how quick he was but could really motor.
The Oudenryn Offiah race was interesting. Chariots was a little bit out of his prime as far as speed goes but still came back at Lee towards the end of the race after getting a bad start.

Rowdy Shearer is my all time fav footy player. He was quick as hell and knew how to score a try. His rep career speaks volumes about his ability.

Blacklock and Wesser were my next 2 favs. Pure excitement machines.

Its good to see Titans persist with Shannon Walker and when he gets the mistakes out of his game he will mature into a deadly 1st grader.

Noa

First Grade
The fastest would probably be someone in Toyota Cup... 18-20 years old... full of speed and flexibility and haven't bulked up yet with all the extra weight. Since it's against other codes we should use them.

Ummmm, NO.

Otherwise sprinters wouldnt get faster as they got bigger and stronger.

C1WGA

Juniors
I guarantee you Mead is faster than Kevin Gordon and comfortably at that. Mead is out til next season so I would have to go with Isaac Gordon. If Mead was in I would say he could give Gordon a real good go. Whatever happens there wont be many metres if any between the first couple.

After watching Issac Gordon closely, I would say he is a MUST for this race.

He runs quick players down people easily..

He looks faster than Gardner to me, yet Gardner is guaranteed a start.

mene

Juniors
After watching Issac Gordon closely, I would say he is a MUST for this race.

He runs quick players down people easily..

He looks faster than Gardner to me, yet Gardner is guaranteed a start.
I got a few mates who play for Sharks and they say he is the fastest and I can see it. Gardner is fast and some media reports say he is a confirmed starter. However I dont really see Isaac as a fulltime 1st grader yet even though he has played a fair few games. Hopefully we get to see a race that will answer some questions.

Uate should be confirmed as the sh*tty Knights wont be playing semis :D

Serc

First Grade
haha yes one positive to come out of us being terrible...Aku must be a shoe-in! If not, its not a proper race without him!

C1WGA

Juniors
The race in September has turned into "the most popular FAST football player race" with all codes running.
2 players from Union, League, Soccer and AFL.
Hayne & Inglis are nominated for league.
This is a shame because it was meant to be the "Fastest Man in League" and it had a lot of people debating ...
I think the NRL should showcase "The Fastest Man In League" at halftime in the grand final because we all know the Grand Final entertainment is "POOR" especially compared to AFL.