What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Race lines up NRL's quick men

hutch

First Grade
our best hope of a match race to determine the fastest player in the nrl is before the all stars game every year. 8 - 10 players lined up across the field in their nrl gear. i cant believe the nrl hasnt ever done anything like this!

Serc

First Grade
Hayne has a sprinting background too. I have no doubt he is one of the top 4 fastest in the game. Did you see his pace last night when he got in the clear? Hayne and Inglis run within themselves, they run as fast as they need to.

Hayne would flog Gardener over 100m.

I would have no issue with Hayne being in the race...if it wasn't for the fact that people have posted countless times that he's the 3rd fastest at the Eels...

sooperdooper

First Grade
I would have no issue with Hayne being in the race...if it wasn't for the fact that people have posted countless times that he's the 3rd fastest at the Eels...

people saying he is 3rd fastest are incorrect...
he is the 3rd fastest over 40m at the eels.
The fastest over 100m....

Hayne can motor...

i dont see a problem with other codes competing, lets remember this is not an NRL event.
Plus we will get to see our players show how superior they are to other codes

nrlnrl

First Grade
The fastest would probably be someone in Toyota Cup... 18-20 years old... full of speed and flexibility and haven't bulked up yet with all the extra weight. Since it's against other codes we should use them.

Anyway, the NRL is useless. Let's be honest though, the NRL had absolutely nothing to do with this event. They do not have the foresight, creativity, or motivation to think about let alone organise a fastest man in league race. It could come out in the news tomorrow that the race will now be comprised of only rugby union, soccer and AFL players only and you still wouldn't hear a peep from the NRL admin.

An intelligent NRL administration would have made themselves a part of the event and whole negotiation process from the beginning, co-running and co-promoting the event with Hayden Knowles and whatever athletics body. It's only the NRL's apathy and reluctance to do anything other than the absolutely ordinary and essential that we even find ourselves in a position where the race can be hijacked by other codes.

I agree that the NRL should have done something with a sprint race, but this event is part of the Gatorade launch for their new "Bolt" drink with Usain Bolt being paid $1 million for the trip. There's now some doubt that he'll even take part in the race & might be used as a guest starter. The athletics meet is also being used as a farewell for Aussie athletes competing at the Commonwealth Games.

Serc

First Grade
people saying he is 3rd fastest are incorrect...
he is the 3rd fastest over 40m at the eels.
The fastest over 100m....

Hayne can motor...

Ahhhhh...my mistake, thanks for the info mate :)

Faster than Grothe over 100? Impressive. Hayne sure does look like he can motor - and I guess on the footy field he makes up for the (slight) lack of acceleration with that raw power/strength he possesses to break tackles etc and then boom, off he goes!

stormbati

Bench
Hayne did stop, turn and chase Merritt over throwing a intercept, made the ground but Merritt still scored.

stormbati

Bench
This is sh*t now. The Nrl had a perfect chance to have Usain Bolt all to themselves. Now every tom dick and harry will be in the race. So much for "NRLs quickest man"

mene

Juniors
I guarantee you Mead is faster than Kevin Gordon and comfortably at that. Mead is out til next season so I would have to go with Isaac Gordon. If Mead was in I would say he could give Gordon a real good go. Whatever happens there wont be many metres if any between the first couple.

C1WGA

Juniors
In the interviews I've seen or read with Mead & Kevin Gordon both have said "It's very close, he beats me sometimes and I beat him".
I believe they would finish 1st & 2nd if they were both able to run.

mene

Juniors
In the interviews I've seen or read with Mead & Kevin Gordon both have said "It's very close, he beats me sometimes and I beat him".
I believe they would finish 1st & 2nd if they were both able to run.
I know both of them, believe me that Mead is the quicker of the 2. Mead has not run on a athletic track whereas Kevvy has. I think the event should be on a footy field at half time during a Aust v NZ test match mid season or something similar.

johnnyg

Juniors
In last nights Penrith v Parramatta game 2 of the quick men ran 80 meters to score. Anyone have the footage and the video editing skills to have the 2 screens side by side and have the footage start when they cross the 20m line?

stormbati

Bench
In last nights Penrith v Parramatta game 2 of the quick men ran 80 meters to score. Anyone have the footage and the video editing skills to have the 2 screens side by side and have the footage start when they cross the 20m line?

For me it looked like Jennings exploded just after he took off, towards the end he slowed down considerably. Hayne really powered when he got in the clear. I have no idea but you would think Jennings accels quicker and Hayne has greater sprint speed.

C1WGA

Juniors
I know both of them, believe me that Mead is the quicker of the 2. Mead has not run on a athletic track whereas Kevvy has. I think the event should be on a footy field at half time during a Aust v NZ test match mid season or something similar.

Fair enough then...Do you have any idea what time Mead runs over the 100m?

Totally agree with holding this event annually at half-time in a major game on a footy field in footy gear.. ie: Test or Origin.

Last edited:

nrlnrl

First Grade
For me it looked like Jennings exploded just after he took off, towards the end he slowed down considerably. Hayne really powered when he got in the clear. I have no idea but you would think Jennings accels quicker and Hayne has greater sprint speed.

Just saw an ad for their 6 o'clock bulletin & it sounds like Ch9 are going to use this tonight on their news.

It sounds reasonable, but is flawed. Even after the 20m line, Hayne swerved before straightening while Jennings virtually ran a straight line. Also, Hayne ran to reach the line, while Jennings dived over. Finally, even though it might be a guide, they weren't running side by side so it's all irrelevant. ( ie - they weren't running against each other, only doing what was needed to score )

Latest posts