What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Racial slur in Parra v Souths match

Lego_Man

First Grade
bartman said:
How about the problems original northern island inhabitants might have had with being flooded by European immigrants - was anyone supportive of their claims of previous waves of settlers to the region not sharing their language, culture or values?

Eurpoean culture is now the dominant culture in Auckland/NZ/Australia. And it's interesting that sometimes the same people who have reaped the diversity benefits of this migration years ago are the same people who fear current waves of migration from non-european countries like China.

But I bet they like going for the occasional chinese, indian, thai or meal now and then? And enjoy the fireworks displays on public holidays etc?

As i said immigration is a matter of scale..i don't want a "White New Zealand Policy" or anything like that, i just want a balance to be preserved.

And as for European immigration: we brought civilsation, technology, writing, rule of law. Indigenous inhabitants did not live in some kind of Pre-European paradise. It was a brutal existence characterised by starvation, tribal warfare, violence and cannibalism.

You can't honestly tell me that they're not better off now.

The aborigines in Australia were given a raw deal, i admit that. The Maori people were treated much better comparatively to just about any other colonisation. Instead of just exterminating them like you did in Australia, we actually signed a treaty with them, and before long they acquired all the priviledges of European New Zealanders e.g voting.

Moffo

Referee
Willow said:
It amusing that people think calling someone a white merkin would be let go so therefore it must be OK to call someone a black merkin.

Are these people in the habit of insulting someone based on their racial background..? And if not, then what's stopping you?

Its also amusing that the same people are basicaly telling Dean Widders to put up and shut up.
Sounds mighty familiar.

If you got called a fat bastard on the football field would you report it willow?

If not, would you report being called a white merkin?

If yes to 2 but not to 1...why?

BTW, im not condoning for a second what went on and Widders has every right to lodge a protest with the stewards

Moffo

Referee
Lego_Man said:
As i said immigration is a matter of scale..i don't want a "White New Zealand Policy" or anything like that, i just want a balance to be preserved.

And as for European immigration: we brought civilsation, technology, writing, rule of law. Indigenous inhabitants did not live in some kind of Pre-European paradise. It was a brutal existence characterised by starvation, tribal warfare, violence and cannibalism.

The aborigines in Australia were given a raw deal, i admit that. The Maori people were treated much better comparatively to just about any other colonisation. Instead of just exterminating them like you did in Australia, we actually signed a treaty with them, and before long they acquired all the priviledges of European New Zealanders e.g voting.

Please answer my question

innsaneink

Referee
dilmah said:
It's just a name. My ancestors are aboriginal. I believe that puts me in a better position to comment on the issue at hand than your irish catholic background.

2 entries found for racism.

rac·ism
n.

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=racism

"I'm white anglo saxon and I know more about cricket than Indians do because whites invented it."

Whats the frikkin diff here?

TooheysNew

Coach
And now we have murder, rape, kidnappings and full prisons. There are negatives to any society - i'm curious as to why you picked only negatives for traditional aborigine society.

bartman

Immortal
Dilmah said:
It's just a name. My ancestors are aboriginal. I believe that puts me in a better position to comment on the issue at hand than your irish catholic background.

I think that people questioning Dilmah's background leading to this reply was a case of trying to play the man not the ball in this thread. (A common diversionary tactic in debates when your original arguments don't hold their ground.)

Dilmah clearly is referring to the issue at hand, being the alleged comments to Dean Widders. And trying to get the topic back to the issue more than dismissing the northern irish situation.

S/He has made no claims to be more entitled to comment on about racism generally than anyone else, despite the assertion by ink that s/he had.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Moffo said:
Please answer my question

Well i thought i had ...but alright, i was referring to Asians.

What i said was "you see more yellow faces than white faces". I didn't call them "yellows" as a derogatory term...the word yellow was an adjective used to describe the colour of their skin.

hrundi99

First Grade
Lego_Man said:

That's a matter of opinion.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Dilmah said:
And now we have murder, rape, kidnappings and full prisons. There are negatives to any society - i'm curious as to why you picked only negatives for traditional aborigine society.

Do aboriginals use phones now?

Electricity?

Running water?

Equal human rights?

What is their life expectancy now compared to 300 years ago?

hrundi99

First Grade
Lego_Man said:
Well i thought i had ...but alright, i was referring to Asians.

What i said was "you see more yellow faces than white faces". I didn't call them "yellows" as a derogatory term...the word yellow was an adjective used to describe the colour of their skin.

I don't think their skin looks yellow at all, and the term has a racist heritage, but anyway...

TooheysNew

Coach
innsaneink said:
"I'm white anglo saxon and I know more about cricket than Indians do because whites invented it."

Whats the frikkin diff here?

The difference is that i'm not claiming to be superior. You are trying to put a spin on it by saying that i'm claiming to be better than another race.

All I said was that I have been in that position so I know what i'm talking about. I wouldnt argue if a protestant who had been involved said they were in a better position to debate protestant vs catholic, because they most likely would be. Its not a case of the race of a person, its a case of the experience they have had with the issue at hand.

I've already put a similar spin on it once - we aren't debating who can put the best spin on an issue.

bartman

Immortal
Lego_Man said:

I'm not going on the attack against you or anything, just pursuing the conversation. I'm aware of the Whaitangi (?) treaty and actually think it's a damned side better than anything Australia has done in terms of relations with our original inhabitants.

I just think that it's possible that waves of immigration from other areas can also bring (different) benefits to our existing cultures, in the same way that it can be said (and agreed) that european migration has resulted (in the longer term) in benefits to the cultures that existed at that time. I think we all can worry about balance too much, integration just takes time.

In the shorter term waves of migration always bring concern and fears among the dominant culture at the time, and I'm sure it was the same in the early days of European migration to NZ and Australia? Balance is important and governments now have ways of managing it that indigenous cultures didn't have in the days of exploration and mass settlement.

Moffo

Referee
Lego_Man said:

Electricity?

Running water?

Equal human rights?

who knows?

Who cares if you live for a long time but hate being alive?

Perhaps they'd rather be in the bush eating grubs instead of living in a modern society, who knows

You can't fall into the fallacy that because you like it everyone else will

Moffo

Referee
mickdo said:
This thread is really a sad read. I can't believe there would be small minded people on here accusing Widders of being a whinger, and that somebody being the subject of racist remarks should just cop it and shut up. Some of you should take a long hard look at yourselves. Very very sad.

i agree. Anyone who thinks this should go unpunished is a jerk or jerkette

fish eel

Immortal
Lego_Man said:

Electricity?

Running water?

Equal human rights?

in some communities, no to electricity and water.
their life expectancy is lower than ours.
we brought disaese to the country. the simple flu killed thousands
raped and pillaged and tried to destroy their culture.
stole their land.
shot them if they tried to keep it.
stole their kids because we thought we knew better.
etc etc etc.

yep, we did them a real good turn.....

innsaneink

Referee
Dilmah said:
The difference is that i'm not claiming to be superior. You are trying to put a spin on it by saying that i'm claiming to be better than another race.

All I said was that I have been in that position so I know what i'm talking about. I wouldnt argue if a protestant who had been involved said they were in a better position to debate protestant vs catholic, because they most likely would be. Its not a case of the race of a person, its a case of the experience they have had with the issue at hand.

I've already put a similar spin on it once - we aren't debating who can put the best spin on an issue.

Yeah OK....I see what youre saying now.....I misread it somewhere along the line, my apologies.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Moffo said:
who knows?

Who cares if you live for a long time but hate being alive?

Perhaps they'd rather be in the bush eating grubs instead of living in a modern society, who knows

You can't fall into the fallacy that because you like it everyone else will

With that attitude the human race would never progress.

bartman

Immortal
innsaneink said:
Oh so the issue at hand and racism in general are two different things are they?

I think you're just really struggling to put a spin on things other posters have said versus their admitted heritage, and finding definitions of racism etc, rather than actaully adding anything significant to discussion of the issue at hand, or of racism in general in a wider sense.

Contribute well-structured thoughts and opinions of your own (of whatever hue) rather than short snipes at what others have said, and I'll be happy to re-assess the above view.

*edit - just read apology re mis-reading a few posts above, no worries, didn't mean to sound harsh. *