What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Racial slur in Parra v Souths match

Moffo

Referee
Lego_Man said:
With that attitude the human race would never progress.

define progress?

i used to think as a society we had progressed and we probably have in some ways but define it?

Do we live in a better world than we did 50yrs ago? i dunno, in some aspects, yes, but in other ways, no

Moffo

Referee
Anyways, progress will see me at work at 8am tomorrow so I should best retire to my mattress

Good night all, interesting discussion. For the most part kept above the table, well done to all

fish eel

Immortal
progress?

OK, lets look at the way the aboriginals lived off the land compared to the unsustianable farming practices introduces by the european settlers. Is that progress? Progress and what it is is just a matter of perspective!

TooheysNew

Coach
I start at 5.30. Oops. lol

We did better than most 4 Corners fights - most posts had structured thoughts. Yay for no millers and mong. ;-)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Moffo said:
If you got called a fat bastard on the football field would you report it willow?
Nope, would you?

If not, would you report being called a white merkin?
Nope, would you?

If yes to 2 but not to 1...why?
I answered no to both. But that's just me. I wouldnt tell anyone else how to react.

But sure Moffo, we'll play out the scenario. If fat white fellas were in the minority and I was a fat white fella playing football, I wouldn't let some idiot get away with it, especially considering I had been copping such slurs for as long as I could remember.

BTW, im not condoning for a second what went on and Widders has every right to lodge a protest with the stewards
He's a bit big to be a jockey but I take your point.

Now did you get my point? Basically, blokes like Widders have been told to stay quiet about this sort of stuff for years. Whenever an indigenous person complains about racism, you can be sure there'll be a line up of the usual suspects telling him stop whinging.

We've got people who say its OK to make a racial slur because from their keyboards, they think it's 'just words'. But challenge them to make racial slurs in public and I'll bet London to a brick that most wouldn't have the guts to openly declare their bigotry. That's because when all is said an done, they know it may offend the recipient.

And that's the bottom line... if it offends someone, then its not on.

innsaneink

Referee
bartman said:
I think you're just really struggling to put a spin on things other posters have said versus their admitted heritage, and finding definitions of racism etc, rather than actaully adding anything significant to discussion of the issue at hand, or of racism in general in a wider sense.

Contribute well-structured thoughts and opinions of your own (of whatever hue) rather than short snipes at what others have said, and I'll be happy to re-assess the above view.

Aaah yes this long winded snipe at me is valid, where my short snipes with words of two syllables or less is not up to your standard?.

Wanker.:lol:

Go f**k yourself.

bartman

Immortal
Re progress of indigenous communities, positive aspects and negative aspects are all valid, as are both positive and negative aspects of the "traditional" apsects of indigenous cultures.

It is tempting to think that society and the world is progressing, because it is on so many fronts, technology, medicine, etc. But also it has failed to progress on many other fronts that are harder to measure, like qual access to the benefits of "progress", equality, poverty etc.

And still we have the (mis)use of power by the powerful against the powerless, an example of which is racism, of which the Fletcher-Widders allegations are at the source of this thread. Unfortunately no matter what progress we still have a long way to go, even on something as smale in scale as a football field - but it can and should be the start.

Good night all.

Bubbabunny

Juniors
has this become a battle about who has suffered the most?and who should pay? and how much should the debt be? and if so what is it you want fletcher to do? hes already offered an apology. what is the reccomended punishment ? a word for a word

bartman

Immortal
innsaneink said:
Aaah yes this long winded snipe at me is valid, where my short snipes with words of two syllables or less is not up to your standard?.

Wanker.:lol:

Go f**k yourself.

If you re-read my post, you'll see I edited it after you posted your apology for mis-reading Dilmah. So I took back my snipe (but left it there for accuracy of what was posted at the time).

Care to do the same? I thought your apology might put an end to your use of "snappy" and oh so witty debating tactics in this thread. Guess I was wrong...

Briza

Juniors
I love a Sledge, but refering to One's origin in a derogitory manor is wrong.
I wouldn't suspend him but I'd embaress the f**k out of him by making him do a public apology!

Bubbabunny

Juniors
explain to me how " black c***" refers to his ethnicity ? if anything its refering to genitalia that he doesnt have if anything its a sexist remark not a racist one

CAPSISCOOL

Juniors
Racial discrimination is completely different so say..discrimination by body weight, body height etc. When was the last time a hate crime was committed against overweight people by a skinny person? When was the last time a bloke got pulled off a bench for being skinny and got beaten to death?

I know it sounds silly but its two different kettles of fish.

mickdo

Coach
Bubbabunny said:
explain to me how " black c***" refers to his ethnicity ? if anything its refering to genitalia that he doesnt have if anything its a sexist remark not a racist one
Yeah. Real funny :rolleyes:

redVgirl

Juniors
ugh theres no room for racism in the NRL. especially when Souths represent places like redfern which have such a large aboriginal population. if fletch did this hes a tool and deserves punishment.

however i just wanted to point out that racism works both ways. people tend to get caught in that political correctness trap and assume that racism is only white people discriminating against dark people. although that may be the most visible and most destructive form of racism, its not the only one. im an anglo celtic australian and i have experienced shocking racism at my university. i won't go into it coz it doesnt really relate to football, but its definitely hurt and distressed me very much. i cant even imagine what it must be to live an entire lifetime of being discriminated against continously though...it would eat away at your soul.

hrundi99

First Grade
It's incredible that this happened while there was a special event being held outside the ground celebrating Aboriginal sportspeople.

Big Bunny

Juniors
Lego_Man said:
Yellow wasn't being used as a derogatory term, merely descriptive.

And as a European New Zealander i do have a problem with Auckland being flooded by immigrants who do not share our language, culture or values and who have no desire to integrate.

I'm all for diversity, but there is such a thing as too much diversity.

New Zealand is not China.

No, you're not for diversity at all, you're for a narrow spectrum, a homogenised society. It's quite clear that you're a xenophobe with a poor grasp of racism, its repercussions and bigotry on a wider scale. To you its all well and good for Europeans to have forcibly integrated the Maori into your concept of what constitutes society yet when it happens to you there's no way you'll allow it. I do hope that you're a child, so that perhaps you may still have the opportunity to learn how ignorant you truly are. Perhaps with that hope you won't have the opportunity to infect your offspring or the children of others.

New Zealand isn't China, but then it's not a frozen in time European enclave either, the sooner that you come to that realisation the better for all concerned. NZ is an evolving society and if its future is an Asian dominated one then so be it. But then, perhaps you're not comfortable with living in a democracy either. You're a hypocrite and a fool. If you must ask it of others then practice what you preach and in turn develop a thicker exterior toward your own immediate environment.

Moffo: Ignorance and bigotry comes in all flavours, including insulting a person for their weight issues. No insult can ever truly be justified, however it's that racism is a problem where a persons ethnicity is being judged without logic and labelled a negative. Being fat on the other hand (when it's not a genetic issue) is most often the product of a lazy person creating their own problems. Were race a negative to begin with then only then could you possibly draw such parallels in a successful manner.

Timbo: It's hardly surprising that you're not offended. Whilst it's obvious that you've experienced bigotry, it's more obvious that you've never been hurled a barb that you were truly offended by and then made to feel bad about it repeatedly. Perhaps your skin is thicker than Widders, but then it's your dismissing subjects such as this and the feelings of others that makes you weak. People like you who won't stand up to intolerance that allows it to flourish. It's people like you who allow for the development of people like Lego Man and then the even more ignorant and driven racists that follow.

If I was called a white c*** then I would make a complaint. If I was called n****r I would issue a complaint as well. I've been called both and many other names in my time and have experienced racism so frequent and intensive that after my first 10 years of life my father moved our family to another town. Any person is capable of racism, its an inherent weakness in us all. Only that those who lack in education, guidance and intelligence often are willing to try and justify it, brushing it off without thought as to how greatly it can wound a person. The same indifference applies to all forms of bigotry. Nobody is free of guilt when it comes to bigotry, only that some like Lego Man and perhaps Timbo, dwell and revel in it.

hrundi99 said:
But 69 that scenario isn't what occurred.

If it did then it should be treated in exactly the same way.

Aboriginals are frequently abused because of their race, white folks aren't. If you were in their boat you'd get sick of it as well.

sorry you are wrong Hrundi

i am living at Taree and get called a white C a few times a month from some Aboriginal people,just for doing my job as a Council Ranger

it is fairly common to be called a white C up here if you are white

i am not condoning or justifying calling someone a black C,just pointing out that it is a two way street

Latest posts