What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Racial slur in Parra v Souths match

TooheysNew

Coach
innsaneink said:
If I wasnt mistaken I'd think youre being racist here.

f**kin hypocrite.
Nope, not racist. The issue is about aboriginals, and i have aboriginal ancestory, therefore I am in a better position to comment.

It's the same as saying my family were all famers, so i'm in a better position to comment on farming than someone on the outside who has no knowledge of racism.

If you're going to attack me at least make the attack stick.

Moffo

Referee
Godz Illa said:
One of the people in here brought up the Barry Ward-Anthony Mundine fracas from a few years ago to bolster their own point of view. Mundine used the term "fat merkin"; Ward retorted with "black merkin". This banter right here proves that adding the word "black" is more sinister than simple skin colour recognition, as so many of you are labouring to suggest. The word "black" is stapled on there as a derogatory prefix - we can feign innocence and ignorance, but the truth is EVERYONE knows the history of this prefix. We all know it has been stapled to our speech to demean, deride, and denigrate Aboriginals since day one. Fletcher is not a naive, innocent child - he is an adult. No adult that uses the prefix is innocent. Dean Widders and Anthony Mundine are proud Aboriginals. Thus they have a right to be offended by a deliberate slur at their culture, their people, and themselves.

Do you think to discriminate against someone based on their weight is offensive?

fish eel

Immortal
Godz Illa said:
One of the people in here brought up the Barry Ward-Anthony Mundine fracas from a few years ago to bolster their own point of view. Mundine used the term "fat merkin"; Ward retorted with "black merkin". This banter right here proves that adding the word "black" is more sinister than simple skin colour recognition, as so many of you are labouring to suggest. The word "black" is stapled on there as a derogatory prefix - we can feign innocence and ignorance, but the truth is EVERYONE knows the history of this prefix. We all know it has been stapled to our speech to demean, deride, and denigrate Aboriginals since day one. Fletcher is not a naive, innocent child - he is an adult. No adult that uses the prefix is innocent. Dean Widders and Anthony Mundine are proud Aboriginals. Thus they have a right to be offended by a deliberate slur at their culture, their people, and themselves.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

innsaneink

Referee
Dilmah said:
Nope, not racist. The issue is about aboriginals, and i have aboriginal ancestory, therefore I am in a better position to comment.

It's the same as saying my family were all famers, so i'm in a better position to comment on farming than someone on the outside who has no knowledge of racism.

If you're going to attack me at least make the attack stick.

Oh, were talking about aboriginals are we? I thought the issue was racism.

There you go again :rolleyes:

bartman

Immortal
Bartman said:

Moffo said:
I find the term yellow as offensive as calling someone black

Yeah me too, I was hoping Lego_Man would explain further, so we could see why he chose to use the word yellow, and why he sees having people speaking Mandarin in an international city like Auckland such a problem.

sydraider

First Grade
bartman said:
Sure in scale they don't compare, but don't those situations make you you think that maybe it's desirable to nip any racial comments on a football field (work place) in the bud?
^

This is my arguement, it happened on a rugby league field where tensions and adrenalin run high. I have said many a time in this arguement that I do not condone racism or discrimination in any way shape or form, yet we are talking about a bloke who was labelled a coloured so and so, offered an apology, yet did not want a bar of it, some people should just get on with life.
IMO if fletch has come to widders after the game and offered an apology to which is more than likely a brain explosion on the field, then what is the drama??
Im sure widders has never offended anybody in his lifetime!

TooheysNew

Coach
innsaneink said:
Oh, were talking about aboriginals are we? I thought the issue was racism.

There you go again :rolleyes:

Racism against Widders. What race is widders?

We are talking about racism, and I was talking in the specific scope of Widders, which was the original topic. From there it broadened into racism in general.

Once again, what you are saying has no point.

bartman

Immortal
Moffo said:
Nip in the bud? lol

sorry

Don't get it, sorry? Instead of "nip it in the bud" maybe I should have used "make use of complaint mechanisms available to reduce future incidents of a similar type occuring".

It's not just about Flecther's comments and whether he's sorry about them. It's about making sure these types of comments don't happen as much/again in the future. That's why it needs more than concilliation or Widders accepting an apology from Fletcher.

innsaneink

Referee
fish eel said:
how so?

I didnt know Irish Catholics were often called a 'black c'?

Dilmah said:
It's just a name. My ancestors are aboriginal. I believe that puts me in a better position to comment on the issue at hand than your irish catholic background.

He thinks because hes of aboriginal heritage he qualifies as knowing more about racism than someone with irish catholic b/ground.

Clear cut case of racism if I ever seen one.

Lego_Man

First Grade
bartman said:
Yeah me too, I was hoping Lego_Man would explain further, so we could see why he chose to use the word yellow, and why he sees having people speaking Mandarin in an international city like Auckland such a problem.

Yellow wasn't being used as a derogatory term, merely descriptive.

And as a European New Zealander i do have a problem with Auckland being flooded by immigrants who do not share our language, culture or values and who have no desire to integrate.

I'm all for diversity, but there is such a thing as too much diversity.

New Zealand is not China.

Moffo

Referee
innsaneink said:
He thinks because hes of aboriginal heritage he qualifies as knowing more about racism than someone with irish catholic b/ground.

Clear cut case of racism if I ever seen one.

how is that racism mate? I think you should take a pill and have a lie down...

fish eel

Immortal
sydraider said:
^

This is my arguement, it happened on a rugby league field where tensions and adrenalin run high. I have said many a time in this arguement that I do not condone racism or discrimination in any way shape or form, yet we are talking about a bloke who was labelled a coloured so and so, offered an apology, yet did not want a bar of it, some people should just get on with life.
IMO if fletch has come to widders after the game and offered an apology to which is more than likely a brain explosion on the field, then what is the drama??

For the upteenth time, Dean's viewpoint is the only one that counts. Its not up to him to accept Fletchers apology, and its not your, mine or anybody else who can tell him he should.

If he was offended and upset and wants to take it further he is entitled to do that and do it without being judged.

bartman

Immortal
sydraider said:

It's not just about Flecther's comments and whether he's sorry about them. It's about making sure these types of comments don't happen as much/again in the future. That's why it needs more than concilliation or Widders accepting an apology from Fletcher.

In scale a racial comment during a football game is not the same as systematic use of concentration camps, but the mere history there shows me how important it is to take a stance to discourage further racial comments in sport, workplaces, and other racial discrimination in life, lest we end up with such terrible historical events recurring in the world.

innsaneink

Referee
Dilmah said:
Racism against Widders. What race is widders?

We are talking about racism, and I was talking in the specific scope of Widders, which was the original topic. From there it broadened into racism in general.

Once again, what you are saying has no point.

LOL....you brush off an accusation of racism yourself by saying it has no point???

You are one mega hypocrite arent ya?

Dont you think you saying your better to talk about something than someone else is based on race isnt racist?

You gotta be joking.

Moffo

Referee
Lego_Man said:
Yellow wasn't being used as a derogatory term, merely descriptive.

And as a European New Zealander i do have a problem with Auckland being flooded by immigrants who do not share our language, culture or values and who have no desire to integrate.

I'm all for diversity, but there is such a thing as too much diversity.

New Zealand is not China.

so you have no problems with calling maoris, blacks?

I think a balance in society is important but i don't know why someone has to be referred to by their colour

Moffo

Referee
bartman said:
Don't get it, sorry? Instead of "nip it in the bud" maybe I should have used "make use of complaint mechanisms available to reduce future incidents of a similar type occuring".

Na I was just being stupid, the nip in the bud comment was ironic in the context of this discussion

Latest posts