What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Racial slur in Parra v Souths match

TooheysNew

Coach
Timbo said:
Wait, so because there's a law governing something it automatically makes it worse?

What if I'm REALLY sensitive about my green eyes and someone called me a green eyed c and it really really hurt me.

People would tell me to grow a thicker skin.

Then do something about it. Don't just take it. If its something you believe in then don't just stand there and let it happen. The best lack all conviction.

bartman

Immortal
sydraider said:
Have you ever played a sport in general?? You ever get a rush of blood on the field, frustration at losing?? You never lost your nerve???
You never made a mistake????
Yes. Yes. Yes. And yes. But never resulted in me commenting on the racial origin of another player. Why should race come into sport?

sydraider said:
Do you really think that bryan feltcher is the type of guy that runs around in hooded white bed sheets and has a brother named jethro who lives in the swamp????
No. But some "mistakes" go beyond reasonable, in fact become illegal, and an apology is not enough to correct them.

sydraider said:
You my friend are a knobhead and so is dean widders for not realising that in such an intense game like rugby league we succumb to such pressures and lose our nerve.
Softc#$ks the lot of yas!
He could have just accepted an apology and got on with it.
Your premise was disproved, so your conclusion doesn't stand.

sydraider said:
And to think woolford was voted sook of the year!
Dean Widders seeks to make one complaint about an illegal act that took place on the field. Woolford (and some other captains) complain week in week out to get in the referee's face in the hope he can influence later decisions in favour of his side. No comparison.

innsaneink

Referee
hrundi99 said:
No sidestep needed. Where's the head banging against the brickwall icon?

You're basically saying that Widders should shutup because he didn't have something as bad as being raped or shot happen to him.

Your attempts to marginalise what he experienced are ridiculous.

Oh, because Im not jumping up and down screaming like the rest of you, I'm "marginilising":lol: it?
Because I dont think its the end of the f**ken world like you do....I'm maaaaarrrrginilising.

Read my first post on the matter....I said, "Its not right."

You still didnt answer my question... as expected.

blaine train

Juniors
At school, if we racially abuse another person we are referred to the police. No second chance. We have to go through many courses of counselling. I haven't done it but just heard about it. Why should being a pro football player give you the right to abuse other players. The old what happens on the field stays on the field thing is crap.

In junior league it is the same story as school. NRL players are role models. I'm sure young footy players will hear about this and think its alright. It's not fake when they say young footy players act like they're role models. They will hear stories about Fletcher trying to get under Widders skin and seeing that aboriginal players are so dominate at junior level, they'll say I might do that, it will put them off and we'll win. Anyone who says it doesn't matter needs to look at the bigger picture

fish eel

Immortal
Lego_Man said:
He copped it sweet...and so should Widders.

Dean doesnt have to cop anything sweet.

And you are in no position to judge him.

On the Gilchrist/Latiff incident, Latiff should have got the same penalty Lehmann got.

They were covered by the same laws.

Bazal

Post Whore
Timbo said:
Rashid Latif got off with a slap on the wrist as I recall. Darren Lehmann was nailed to the wall the previous summer when he used the reverse wording.

Rashid got off, yes, as they couldn't hear what he'd said. But Gilly was certainly upset and that was more my point.

bartman

Immortal
Timbo said:
Rashid Latif got off with a slap on the wrist as I recall. Darren Lehmann was nailed to the wall the previous summer when he used the reverse wording.

Oh I see, it's a conspiracy against white australians :rolleyes:

Moffo

Referee
blaine train said:
At school, if we racially abuse another person we are referred to the police. No second chance. We hace to go through many courses of counselling. I haven't done it but just heard about it. Why should being a pro football player give you the right to abuse other players. The old what happens on the field stays on the field thing is crap.

In junior league it is the same story as school. NRL players are role models. I'm sure young footy players will hear about this and think its alright. It's not fake when they say young footy players act like they're role models. They will hear stories about Fletcher trying to get under Widders skin and seeing that aboriginal players are so dominate at junior level, they'll say I might do that, it will put them off and we'll win. Anyone who says it doesn't matter needs to look at the bigger picture

I agree

But your school should be looking to stamp out all forms of discrimination. If you see someone calling someone else a fat boombala then they should be taken through the same counselling that the school provides to racist people

It is simply that 'race discrimination' is the flavour of the month. I'm not humourising or justifying it but that is the reality

Cheers,
Moffo

hrundi99

First Grade
Timbo said:
Wait, so because there's a law governing something it automatically makes it worse?

What if I'm REALLY sensitive about my green eyes and someone called me a green eyed c and it really really hurt me.

People would tell me to grow a thicker skin.

There are laws in place because the "general public" thinks it's worse.

sydraider

First Grade
Dilmah said:
Here we go - perfect example of a closed minded person.
For your information teabag, i have friends of various ethnicity and colour, racism is not my go, whingers are.

Remember the Barry Ward v Mundine incident, both were labelled c@#$ by each other, one black, one fat, yet all we heard about is the black part.

I agree with moffo, its all discrimination one form or another, If i was called a white @##$, I would try to reply with as much witt and humour as I could, cos I am bigger than that, I will get on with life. '
Reminds of that episode of south park, hate crimes.
I wont elaborate for you teabag cos im sure a worldy person such as yourself with worldy views, should know what Im talking about.

bartman

Immortal
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Radier Ultra said:
Some of you blokes need to head to the north of England and have a look at the racial divide there between whites and Asians if you think racism is such a minor matter.

Lego_Man said:
Thats what happens when you bring immigrants from such an alien environment and culture in such large numbers and expect them to integrate. They don't integrate, they form their own ghettos and communities and hence breed separatism.

:lol: at Lego Man. We're talking about a comment against an Aboriginal Australian, and you start blaming racial divides upon immigrants in large numbers?

News flash - we white anglos were immigrants in such large numbers to Australia that now descendents of the original inhabitants are the ones in the minority receiving the racial comments.

Where's that brick wall icon again?

hrundi99

First Grade
Moffo said:
I agree

But your school should be looking to stamp out all forms of discrimination. If you see someone calling someone else a fat boombala then they should be taken through the same counselling that the school provides to racist people

Are you fat Moffo?

It is simply that 'race discrimination' is the flavour of the month. I'm not humourising or justifying it but that is the reality

Cheers,
Moffo

Racial abuse against Aboriginals has been "flavour of the month" in this country for 200+ years.

TooheysNew

Coach
sydraider said:
For your information teabag, i have friends of various ethnicity and colour, racism is not my go, whingers are.

Remember the Barry Ward v Mundine incident, both were labelled c@#$ by each other, one black, one fat, yet all we heard about is the black part.

I agree with moffo, its all discrimination one form or another, If i was called a white @##$, I would try to reply with as much witt and humour as I could, cos I am bigger than that, I will get on with life. '
Reminds of that episode of south park, hate crimes.
I wont elaborate for you teabag cos im sure a worldy person such as yourself with worldy views, should know what Im talking about.

Teabag? Is that an insult? Are you discriminating against my username now? sh*t - thats worthy of a whinge if anything is. :roll:

I'll put it as simply as I can for you, because you seem a bit dim.

If you were an aboriginal and your ancestors had underwent years of racial torment then you would have basis to comment on what is offensive at what level. You aren't, they haven't, so you can't.

Lego_Man

First Grade
bartman said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:lol: at Lego Man. We're talking about a comment against an Aboriginal Australian, and you start blaming racial divides upon immigrants in large numbers?

News flash - we white anglos were immigrants in such large numbers to Australia that now descendents of the original inhabitants are the ones in the minority receiving the racial comments.

Where's that brick wall icon again?

Im actually a NZer, and was talking in general. Basically i was referring to my own experience, living in Auckland, where if you walk down the main street, you now hear Mandarin more than English, and see more yellow faces than white.

hrundi99

First Grade
innsaneink said:
Oh, because Im not jumping up and down screaming like the rest of you, I'm "marginilising":lol: it?
Because I dont think its the end of the f**ken world like you do....I'm maaaaarrrrginilising.

Read my first post on the matter....I said, "Its not right."

You still didnt answer my question... as expected.

Ink your question had nothing to do with the issue. You're trying to move the goalposts.

I don't think it's the end of the world, but I don't think it's "nothing" either.

Moffo

Referee
hrundi99 said:
Are you fat Moffo?

Racial abuse against Aboriginals has been "flavour of the month" in this country for 200+ years.

Not fat mate but it is the classic example of a form of discrimination that gets overlooked. What would it matter if I were???

No. Racial abuse against aboriginials has only come into the spotlight in the past 20-30yrs