What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Racial slur in Parra v Souths match

Moffo

Referee
Dilmah said:
20-30 years is considerably longer than a month. ;-)

It is a saying :?::

If you look over the past 3,000 years racial discrimination wasn't always an issue like it is today

sydraider

First Grade
Dilmah said:
Teabag? Is that an insult? Are you discriminating against my username now? sh*t - thats worthy of a whinge if anything is. :roll:

I'll put it as simply as I can for you, because you seem a bit dim.

If you were an aboriginal and your ancestors had underwent years of racial torment then you would have basis to comment on what is offensive at what level. You aren't, they haven't, so you can't.

Excuse me kamahl but my ancestors are Irish catholic and as far as i know we are still persecuted by the protestant english, yet being from the jewel of the commonwealth you should know all about this or is dilmah just a name??

As for some of my closest friends, they are polish, croatian and middle eastern, all have been through various concentration camps, religous persecution and racial discrimination, yet im sure none of that compares to being called a black c$#% on a rugby league field!

bartman

Immortal
sydraider said:
\If i was called a white @##$, I would try to reply with as much witt and humour as I could, cos I am bigger than that, I will get on with life. '
We can be "bigger than that" because we are members of the majority cultural grouping that has all the power in numbers, structures, political representation, socio-econimic power, access to health and education etc that means that a racial slur does not carry with it the same strength. (Even though it is equally racist to make one.)

For any person who has faced the other side of those power relationships all through their lives, then the same racial slur carries a much greater cumulative effect. It is harder for them to take it with wit and humour, and be "bigger than that". They should fight it, not with tit-for-tat slurs, or punches or other means, but through official channels provided by the laws.

Racism is a structural issue, not about each individual comment and how it's dealt with, but about recognising that each individual comment contributes to a larger situation that goes against the notion of a fair go for all. No place for it during anyone's work day, Fletch should be sorry, but also should be shamed in public, through fine or suspension.

KFC

Juniors
Widders should have just put one on Fletcher's chin.

Dean has every right to be upset but surely he could have meet with Fletch after the game and thrashed it out.

hrundi99

First Grade
Moffo said:
Not fat mate but it is the classic example of a form of discrimination that gets overlooked. What would it matter if I were???

It was an ironic attempt at humour...failed again I guess.

No. Racial abuse against aboriginials has only come into the spotlight in the past 20-30yrs

Ask the aboriginals if they've only been copping it in the last 20-30 years.

bartman

Immortal
Lego_Man said:
Im actually a NZer, and was talking in general. Basically i was referring to my own experience, living in Auckland, where if you walk down the main street, you now hear Mandarin more than English, and see more yellow faces than white.

So?

Moffo

Referee
sydraider said:
Excuse me kamahl but my ancestors are Irish catholic and as far as i know we are still persecuted by the protestant english, yet being from the jewel of the commonwealth you should know all about this or is dilmah just a name??

As for some of my closest friends, they are polish, croatian and middle eastern, all have been through various concentration camps, religous persecution and racial discrimination, yet im sure none of that compares to being called a black c$#% on a rugby league field!

racist :blahb: :blahb: :blahb:

lol

fish eel

Immortal
Moffo said:
It is a saying :?::

If you look over the past 3,000 years racial discrimination wasn't always an issue like it is today

that doesnt make it any less of an issue, an no matter how small the incident, it should be stopped.

Problem is, if you dont take at action at a small incident, then the next thing is you have a slightly bigger incident, and another...and then another etc and then you have a real problem.

Not saying that is going to happen in the NRL, its just the reason why, small as it may seem, the fletcher incident must be acted upon should dean feel the need to make the complaint.

TooheysNew

Coach
sydraider said:

It's just a name. My ancestors are aboriginal. I believe that puts me in a better position to comment on the issue at hand than your irish catholic background.

You are really missing the point. Racism is racism. Racial genocide is racist just as calling someone a black merkin on a football field is racist, it's just on a different scale.

bartman

Immortal
sydraider said:

Sure in scale they don't compare, but don't those situations make you you think that maybe it's desirable to nip any racial comments on a football field (work place) in the bud?

Moffo

Referee
hrundi99 said:
It was an ironic attempt at humour...failed again I guess.

Ask the aboriginals if they've only been copping it in the last 20-30 years.

sorry don't read irony off a discussion board well

Your second point is an entirely separate issue. Ask fatty boombala if he was still being called fat 100yrs ago as well

innsaneink

Referee
Dilmah said:
It's just a name. My ancestors are aboriginal. I believe that puts me in a better position to comment on the issue at hand than your irish catholic background.

You are really missing the point. Racism is racism. Racial genocide is racist just as calling someone a black merkin on a football field is racist, it's just on a different scale.

If I wasnt mistaken I'd think youre being racist here.

f**kin hypocrite.

hrundi99

First Grade
sydraider said:

I'd be interested to know what your friends think about this situation, assuming they don't have any untoward feelings towards aboriginals.

Moffo

Referee
bartman said:
Sure in scale they don't compare, but don't those situations make you you think that maybe it's desirable to nip any racial comments on a football field (work place) in the bud?

Nip in the bud? lol

sorry

Godz Illa

Coach
One of the people in here brought up the Barry Ward-Anthony Mundine fracas from a few years ago to bolster their own point of view. Mundine used the term "fat merkin"; Ward retorted with "black merkin". This banter right here proves that adding the word "black" is more sinister than simple skin colour recognition, as so many of you are labouring to suggest. The word "black" is stapled on there as a derogatory prefix - we can feign innocence and ignorance, but the truth is EVERYONE knows the history of this prefix. We all know it has been stapled to our speech to demean, deride, and denigrate Aboriginals since day one. Fletcher is not a naive, innocent child - he is an adult. No adult that uses the prefix is innocent. Dean Widders and Anthony Mundine are proud Aboriginals. Thus they have a right to be offended by a deliberate slur at their culture, their people, and themselves.

bartman

Immortal
sydraider said:
Excuse me kamahl but my ancestors are Irish catholic and as far as i know we are still persecuted by the protestant english

Pretty true, the protestant English have been the majority in Northern Island, and held the structural power over the Catholic nationalists for many years. So doesn't that make you realise how someone else (in this case an aboriginal australian) could feel about the same situation in their natural land, and having their race (very similar to religion) being commented on during the carrying out of their work duties?

Latest posts