What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders game talk

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Very well said. The season is well and truly gone now.
We have a tough run home and that game was crucial.
Really disappointing season stemming from a lot of really poor decisions and recruitment.

Your right Choc....but seriously even if we didnt have a tough run home would it really matter..can you seriously see us troubling the likes of Melb, Manly, and Bris etc the way we are playing for 80 mins.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The other willow talks far more sense. Wish that willow would swing by these forums.
They're just nicknames chuckles.
Bring back choc said:
Unless it actually is you willow.. Wouldn't surprise me.
lol. Yeah, you got me.

I see you're in your moment. Saints lost, you won. Got anymore hahas for the gallery? You should start a club.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
21st july you , Rexxy and I and a couple of broncos friends of mine for the famous $2 meal plus footy Gold coast style.
Broncos friends? I suppose no one's perfect.

Yes Father, $2 steaks at the Railway Hotel in Southport. Saturday 21st is good.

Everyone welcomed. :thumn

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I'm gutted I feel like I'm back in 2008 crap !!

Me to...and why Price keeps persisting with this musical chairs with Dummy Half/ Hooker etc leaves me totally bemused....one minute its Young then its Rein then its Fien etc etc......do you see Bellamy doing it with Cameron Smith ........and as far as replacing Rein with 10 to go was as unforgiving as Hornbys effort in running the player off the ball when he didnt have to which ulimately cost us the game......Dumb decision by coach and dumb decision by captain .....the buck stopped with the two of you..thanks very much.

Very disappointing. If we were top 8 contenders we should have put 30 or 40 on that mob.
Both sides were ordinary, but predictably they got up by plucking something out of their arse yet again!!!!!!

64 Dragon

Coach
Gutted! But a penalty count of 5 - 1 against the most penalised side in the league? Something wrong there. No team gives away just one penalty in a game. All that aside we just didn't hack it.

TheRev

First Grade
Gutted! But a penalty count of 5 - 1 against the most penalised side in the league? Something wrong there. No team gives away just one penalty in a game. All that aside we just didn't hack it.

there were a couple of head-high tackles & being run off the ball that I thought should have been called, but we cant sit here each week and blame the refs, its happening because we have been stuck in these close-game mentality for years, we just dont put teams away, not even sure why thats happening, attitude, attacking flair? Definitely I feel like were missing a couple of x-factor players that do something unexpected.

Having said that we didnt make 'that' many mistakes tonight, we were basically out-ground at our own game.

64 Dragon

Coach
I am one of Ben Hornby's biggest fans. I hate to say it. Price must put someone else at halfback. Maybe a rest will help Benny. A permanent rest.

blacksafake

First Grade
It is time (but it won't happen) for soward to move into 1/2 with kyle to 5/8 hell even joey johns said so on triple m tonight.Hornby can take feins place.A young inexperienced player like williams tonight showed hornby how to control the game & make the right decisions.The seasons gone so lets plan ahead because i can only see plenty of pain coming up in the next 6 weeks & the way we are going i can see our season finishing on a low in the last round with parra looking to send hindmarsh & burt out on a high.

blacksafake

First Grade
Definitely I feel like were missing a couple of x-factor players that do something unexpected.

We don't sign these sort of players only cast offs from others who are cheap reserve graders or at the end of their career with the hope of one of them rising to the occasion & if that ever happened we would lose them to someone who pay's more Fact.

Stagger Lee

Bench
Just got back from the game and see the predictable comments. Hardly anyone however has commented on how good the Raiders played. That first half performance from them was one of the best I have seen this year regarding effort and lack of mistakes, they looked like a Wayne Bennet team.

The Dragons showed great effort and as long as I see that effort I will still be supporting Steve Price. Some of the senior players looked frustrated that things were not working for them. A fair rub of the green with ref calls and a couple of wins will get things back under control I'm sure.

Come on Dragons!

Last edited:

Elias1983

Coach
Yep that's the season.

If we can't beat a severely depleted Raiders team then we don't deserve to make the finals.

I'm happy for Steve Price to have his 2 years, he would have learnt a lot this season and hopefully can take into next season.

But if we are struggling like this next season he needs to be punted but chances are Doust will re-sign him for 2 more years.

One positive from the match I thought was Goodwin, he has a bit of speed and I think gives the Dragons another option in the backs.

And one more thing...why was Rein taekn off??? why?why? why?

He was back to his pre-hornby spray best tonight!

Last edited:
Have watched the game a couple of times and with the draw ahead I agree 2012 is gone. I thought our forwards went okay and against a Canberra team that played well as they always seem to against us.
Of most concern to me were the usual suspects;
* Hornby is hopelesly out of form,
* Cooper is not much better, his passes from dummy half are dreadful
* I know he has been out of the game for a while but C Stanley was very ordinary particularly in defence.
* Typical home town refereeing just look at the penalty count.
* Our attack is unstructured and disorganised. It is really just pass the ball and hope mentality at times. If that is a work in progress, heaven help us.

There is no use calling for Price's blood, we all know Dousty will not do anything pro active in the coaching area, instead of going all out for someone like Bellamy he will probably promote Folkes to the head job or extend Price's contract after 2013. Price was never going to win a premiership in his first year particularly with the playing staff at his disposal. With the players going next season and our limited recruiting to date, we may even go further backwards in 2013 unless some tough decisions are made soon. I hope I am wrong.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Top night out... hypothermia, wasted $ and another loss at the death to just about the worst team in the comp! That's the season gone, at best we might provide a bit of nuisance value to the top sides. I honestly can't remember the Raiders dropping the ball more than once and their try on half-time looked like a blatant obstruction.. was always going to be awarded to them though

dragonsman4eva

Juniors
I find it amazing that a team can only give away 1 penalty in 80 minutes of footy, couldn't get a go in that area. Agree with everyone sayin it's time for Hornby to go, I love the guy but it's time he retires. I thought chase went alright in attack and his d was good until that last try, also what did everyone think of robinsons second try, I think it was a dead set no try, pretty filthy with that, anyway no matter what happens I'll support the boys in good and bad times, we can still challenge for the 8 this year, but we got a tough run home.

BigRedV

Juniors
Personally i don't think its one or two players, its the whole team. When was the last time you saw 2 one on one steals in a game? A team can go a season without this happening to them yet we have two in a game. Sorry but thats a f**king joke.

At the same time, we have this crap happening because of what can only be described as the worst recruitment plan in the comp. f**king Titans who don't have a cent are doing a better job of attracting players than we are.

There's something SERIOUSLY wrong for a team that has one the biggest, if not the biggest supporter base, and one of the proudest histories in the NRL to not be able to attract top tier players.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Your spot on Rev with this comment

''Its happening because we have been stuck in these close-game mentality for years, we just dont put teams away, not even sure why thats happening, attitude, attacking flair? Definitely I feel like were missing a couple of x-factor players that do something unexpected''.

saint06

Juniors
35/40 Completion rate
55% Possession
5-1 Penalty Count
300+ extra metres gained
5 or 6 Forced Drop outs
19/20 first half completion rate
60% first half possesion

How were we ever meant to win that game?

Best game they played all year.

However, one very poor kick chase costs us in the end. How with a 4 minutes to go, did Robinson make 50 metres returning a kick?

Some of Hornby's decisions with the ball are baffling. He has been pined how many times over the past few years for running players off the ball, yet he still does the same thing every other week. You'd think he'd try and be a little more discreet.

Godz Illa

Coach
Always is. I was fuming last night, but in the harsh light of day you have to admit this hoodoo is quite impressive. We turn one of the shittest teams in the comp into world beaters every year. Got to respect a phenomenon like that.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
35/40 Completion rate
55% Possession
5-1 Penalty Count
300+ extra metres gained
5 or 6 Forced Drop outs
19/20 first half completion rate
60% first half possesion

How were we ever meant to win that game?

However, one very poor kick chase costs us in the end. How with a 4 minutes to go, did Robinson make 50 metres returning a kick?

Some of Hornby's decisions with the ball are baffling. He has been pined how many times over the past few years for running players off the ball, yet he still does the same thing every other week. You'd think he'd try and be a little more discreet.

Sitting on the sideline would be discreet enough for me at the moment