What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders game talk

MattYg1

Bench
Personally i don't think its one or two players, its the whole team. When was the last time you saw 2 one on one steals in a game? A team can go a season without this happening to them yet we have two in a game. Sorry but thats a f**king joke.

At the same time, we have this crap happening because of what can only be described as the worst recruitment plan in the comp. f**king Titans who don't have a cent are doing a better job of attracting players than we are.

There's something SERIOUSLY wrong for a team that has one the biggest, if not the biggest supporter base, and one of the proudest histories in the NRL to not be able to attract top tier players.

I support the Dragons and the Chicago Bulls both have this same issue... With the Bulls it often comes down to Michael Jordans shadow... with us im not sure what it is... 11 Premierships in a row?

I honestly have no idea why, and we can sit here and pay out on Doust and Price about it but I cant remember a single high profile player WANTING to come to us either.

Hornby summed it up in the press conference. They believe they will beat us. Until that is turned around, we will always be up against it beating them.

Why the game is always on a cold night in the middle of winter really gets me. Why don't we ever get them in Round 1 or Round 26?????

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Hornby summed it up in the press conference. They believe they will beat us. Until that is turned around, we will always be up against it beating them.

Why the game is always on a cold night in the middle of winter really gets me. Why don't we ever get them in Round 1 or Round 26?????

Sounds like a piss poor excuse if you as me...why don't we believe we can beat them? they have half their friggin team out and we don't believe we can beat them? We believe we will not give away dumb penalties? we believe we won't hold onto the ball? f**k off Hornby...pull the other one

64 Dragon

Coach
Everyone on here talks about players not wanting to come here. But when you think about it, are they being asked to come? Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not see any evidence of us chasing the signatures of any players off contract at other clubs. Most of the time it is all media hype. The Dragons may not have the funds available to sign players. Who knows? Maybe we are relying on our juniors to come through.

Incidentally our under 20s beat their Canberra rivals who are 2nd on the ladder. The hoodoo did not affect them.

Saint Angelo

Juniors
35/40 Completion rate
55% Possession
5-1 Penalty Count
300+ extra metres gained
5 or 6 Forced Drop outs
19/20 first half completion rate
60% first half possesion

How were we ever meant to win that game?

Best game they played all year.

However, one very poor kick chase costs us in the end. How with a 4 minutes to go, did Robinson make 50 metres returning a kick?

Some of Hornby's decisions with the ball are baffling. He has been pined how many times over the past few years for running players off the ball, yet he still does the same thing every other week. You'd think he'd try and be a little more discreet.

Sitting on the sideline would be discreet enough for me at the moment

Hornby does this every friggin time?
The dumbest play in the game.
Considering Nightingale was at fullback and the chaser was never going to get near the ball, why does Hornby do this.
Give the Raiders a free crack at the ball and at worst they get a penalty.

He should of been hooked there and then.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
they have half their friggin team out and we don't believe we can beat them?
To put that in perspective, we had half out team our too due to injury and Origin, as well as a bunch of reserves unavailable due to the NSW Residents.

Last edited:
Bad luck guys. You fought hard, and pretty much shut our attack down in the second half. Mitch Rein almost won that game on his own. He's going to be a very good player. There was only one bad defensive read in it.

I'm just happy to avoid spoon territory for now.

russell border

Juniors
QUOTE=saint06;8474040;36691]35/40 Completion rate
55% Possession
5-1 Penalty Count
300+ extra metres gained
5 or 6 Forced Drop outs
19/20 first half completion rate
60% first half possesion

How were we ever meant to win that game?

Best game they played all year.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe the Raiders deserved to win when you look at those stats but there were penalties the Dragons didn't receive (& I have seen them given this year) at vital times that could have swung the game-just on Nightigale-attacked unnecessarily & somewhat late while on the ground after the head clash, high tackle while he ran ball back late in game & even later a flop on him. None were given but COULD have been.
The Dragons were poor & frustrating but it is the timing of penalties given away or not received that swing games these days- I reckon the same will be able to be said about the refs after Wed night

mightydragon

Juniors

russell border

Juniors
Blaming the refs? Really?

Not blaming the refs at all. The dragons didn't do enough to close out the game.
What I don't like is refs picking and choosing when they will make decisions- I think you will see similar things happen on Wed night-they keep happening unfortunately & some teams seem to get a better run than others.

hardbaby

Coach
Just got back from the game and see the predictable comments. Hardly anyone however has commented on how good the Raiders played. !

The Raiders were outstanding. No doubt about that. But it was a shadow of their true side. As I mentioned previously, the Dragons played their hearts out. There was a lot of good stuff. But our direction and structure were terrible. So you look at a couple of guys and say WTF?

bottle

Coach
I support the Dragons and the Chicago Bulls both have this same issue... With the Bulls it often comes down to Michael Jordans shadow... with us im not sure what it is... 11 Premierships in a row?

I honestly have no idea why, and we can sit here and pay out on Doust and Price about it but I cant remember a single high profile player WANTING to come to us either.

Consider -

You are a high profile player and you have a choice between a number of clubs.
You see the way some fans berate and turn on their most loyal servants.
You hear the derision heaped upon them at games.
You get told stories of guys actually calling out players for a 'fight', and then bragging about it later.
You may even be internet savvy and browse the forums, where you see long standing Premiership winning players referred to as 'useless', 'shit', 'weak', 'soft'.
You read people imploring them to 'f**k off'.

All things being equal is that the club you would actively choose to go to? Or would you make it easier on yourself and go somewhere where the personal cost is not so high?

There have been plenty of anecdotes about players either leaving, or not wanting to come here, because of the behaviour of some fans. Perhaps we need to look closer to home to find the root of the problem.

Elias1983

Coach
Consider -

You get told stories of guys actually calling out players for a 'fight', and then bragging about it later.
You may even be internet savvy and browse the forums, where you see long standing Premiership winning players referred to as 'useless', 'shit', 'weak', 'soft'.

All things being equal is that the club you would actively choose to go to? Or would you make it easier on yourself and go somewhere where the personal cost is not so high?

There have been plenty of anecdotes about players either leaving, or not wanting to come here, because of the behaviour of some fans. Perhaps we need to look closer to home to find the root of the problem.

That would happen at most clubs though wouldn't it?

Obviously it's more intense at some clubs than others but surely this can't be a major factor.

Consider -

I highly doubt that players or their managers worry about the behaviour of the fans when weighing up a deal. It's all about the money on offer and a coach they want to play under.

If it was all about the fans then the Dogs wouldn't sign anyone.

Stdavid

Juniors
A positive out of last night's game was the play of Bronx Goodwin. I thought he was outstanding in a beaten side. He certainly made every effort to get involved, his defence was good and he looked dangerous on occasion. His only blip was getting taken out when given a hospital pass. Would love to see him given the 1 jersey with Bmoz and Flo back on their proper wings (as per Possm's suggestion).
I would drop Vidot after that effort - how can a guy that big not keep hold of the ball?
Interested in feedback.

smi962

First Grade
A positive out of last night's game was the play of Bronx Goodwin. I thought he was outstanding in a beaten side. He certainly made every effort to get involved, his defence was good and he looked dangerous on occasion. His only blip was getting taken out when given a hospital pass. Would love to see him given the 1 jersey with Bmoz and Flo back on their proper wings (as per Possm's suggestion).
I would drop Vidot after that effort - how can a guy that big not keep hold of the ball?
Interested in feedback.

Vidot makes good yardage, best in the team last night - 176m. I would keep him whilst he he is doing this despite the few errors every game.

stg666

Juniors
Bottle , i have felt for a long time that there are quite a few supporters who like seeing their name up on the screen , while they dump on people from long distance . not nice.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Blaming the refs? Really?

didnt you get the memo
its an obstruction to be supporting the ball carrier and being pushed by a dumb shit winger into the only bloke capable of getting near a try saving tackle.
Disgrace

simple fact is i cant explain it, you blokes cant explain it, neither coaching staff have a clue one way or the other but every year, we pull out our best performance and so far, as hard as you've tried (and last night you blokes did) its just not good enough

i cant figure it out, the last 10 years v the saints we should have a record aiken to ours against the storm.

I said to a good mate before the game "if we're within a try with 10 to go, we'll win"
the reason is, body language, you must have seen it in the final 5 minutes, not a single raider on the field thought we'd lose and not a single saints player thought they'd win. The hoodoo is completely mental but in the dying moments, that's all that counts

you've probably saved us from the spoon and ended your season, but mentally every year the saints come to lose. Wayne Bennett's comments last year post match conference were very telling. Culturally as a fan base, as a club, this game is a loss. Until that changes it will always be a loss because your done before a ball is kicked.

Same deal with us and Melbourne