What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders stand down Goodwin and Carney over club claims

Get rid of Carney...if the media is correct then he is an absolute moron of the highest order and deserves his contract to be terminated.

So if it was some accidental splash back that the other bloke copped he should be fired for this?

Maybe we should do the sensible thing and find out what actually happened before rushing to judgement.

So if it was some accidental splash back that the other bloke copped he should be fired for this?

Maybe we should do the sensible thing and find out what actually happened before rushing to judgement.

Find out what happened ???...not worth talking to Carney who was blind at the time.

As for speaking To Tilse's cousin; probably not gonna get the most honest response IMO...Tilse carries a sh&t track record as well.

A police report should be enough to go on...

Tank30

Juniors
Innocent of p*ssing on a bloke and ' won't be fired ' are kinda two different things and really are unrelated.

I think a talent like Todd Carney would have to be on a murder charge for the Raiders to cut ties with him.

There is a definite double standard shown between players with some talent, and players with superstar talent when it comes to getting the boot.

Dane Tilse is the best example of that.

This is no different to any other work environment. The high performing staff always get treated better than the underperforming staff...

It is the way of the world that if you are very good at what you do, you will be allowed more lattitude than those that aren't..

As for Carney, and footballers in general, I couldn't give a toss about what they do off the field, as long as they perform on the field..Obviously if they get locked up and cannot play, this is different. Other than that, see ya at training and on game day Todd...

Wouldn't mind him in blue and gold....Someone else earlier in this thread commented that it is not all about winning...bullsh*t...

No winning = no sponsorship = no team...

It is all about winning and if having this player in your team is the difference between winning and losing, put him in I reckon...

Tank30

Juniors
Find out what happened ???...not worth talking to Carney who was blind at the time.

As for speaking To Tilse's cousin; probably not gonna get the most honest response IMO...Tilse carries a sh&t track record as well.

Love your work, if Tilse's relative refuses to continue with the case, it is over...

Tank30

Juniors
Mate if the Canberra Raiders felt he had a chance of being completely innocent of this, he sure as hell would NOT be stood down from playing when their season is on the line.

They know what happened, even if we all don't.

The reason he was stood down is to ensure that all those screaming bitches out there calling for any players head who is out after 10pm and drunk to be sacked, drawn and quartered, can sit and be happy that "something is being done" to stop the big bad footy players from being all naughty and stuff...

Karmawave

Bench
The reason he was stood down is to ensure that all those screaming bitches out there calling for any players head who is out after 10pm and drunk to be sacked, drawn and quartered, can sit and be happy that "something is being done" to stop the big bad footy players from being all naughty and stuff...

I think the placating theatrics from clubs work in Rounds 1 or 2.

Not Round 20.

Tank30

Juniors
Don't know that Canberra are certain it will or won't work, they just need to make the right noises to quieten the vocal minority...

Not worth talking to Carney? :lol:

yeah that sounds like a sensible idea, lets not talk to someone who is at the heart of the allegations. :roll:

How the hell do you know how intoxicated he was? the fact is you dont. So perhaps you would do well to not sound like your an authority on the matter.

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
I don't really know how to make that clearer to be honest. I'm definitely not trying to talk down to you ... but you raised the question of 'innocent until proven guilty' and the legal system so I answered it.

why don't we just leave it as I think this is totally reasonable behaviour from the club? it's the same thing they would do in almost all other professions, so I say go for it canberra.

Fair enough.

However I disagree with the fact that it would be a similiar situation in any other profession. In an every day profession 'allegations' are not made public by the media and thus a company would have no right to stand down an employee. As is stands down all we have are allegations.

If there were charges laid then perhaps, but that would be depending on the seriousness of the crime. An individual could easily get away with not telling their employee about charges if they handled it correctly. However as Todd Carney is in the public eye, it's different for him. 'Allegations' are made known to the general public and his employee, as are charges and possible convictions.

In regards to teachers and such, misconduct is regards to their job. Todd Carney's offence, if any, is not related to his work. Somebody who works at Coles stacking shelves is not going to be sacked if allegations are made about them urinating on someone...

sooperdooper

First Grade
Thank you for your insightful reply. Hopefully when I get a bit older i'll be able to be considered half a tool. And a few years later i'd like to graduate into a complete tool.

If you disagree with a statement I make feel free to criticize, I'd prefer you to present your argument though instead of just resorting to random insults 'sooperdooper'.

your the one comparing a phone call from Gasnier to Todd Carney's drink driving and police chase, blind freddy could see they dont compare

Karmawave

Bench
Fair enough.

However I disagree with the fact that it would be a similiar situation in any other profession. In an every day profession 'allegations' are not made public by the media and thus a company would have no right to stand down an employee. As is stands down all we have are allegations.

If there were charges laid then perhaps, but that would be depending on the seriousness of the crime. An individual could easily get away with not telling their employee about charges if they handled it correctly. However as Todd Carney is in the public eye, it's different for him. 'Allegations' are made known to the general public and his employee, as are charges and possible convictions.

In regards to teachers and such, misconduct is regards to their job. Todd Carney's offence, if any, is not related to his work. Somebody who works at Coles stacking shelves is not going to be sacked if allegations are made about them urinating on someone...

Good post...

but doesn't that come down to the players choice of taking a job knowing full well what the consequences are for poor behaviour?

Let alone signing an NRL contract agreeing not to bring the game into disrepute. I am pretty sure none of us sign an agreed contract at our workplace about bringing the reputation of the business into disrepute. NRL players do.

No one is forcing Carney, or any footballer to be stars and play rugby league for a living. With that choice comes the attention of the media no different to that of an actor or rockstar.

He could easily decide to become a plumber, sparky, brickies labourer or whatever else he wants to do if the attention when he misbehaves becomes all too much for them?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Mate if the Canberra Raiders felt he had a chance of being completely innocent of this, he sure as hell would NOT be stood down from playing when their season is on the line.

They know what happened, even if we all don't.

It was the players who voted for him to be stood down, not management of the club. That said, if he isn't charged and convicted I can't see the raiders taking this any further. I mean Laffranchi kept playing while he was under investigation for a far worse crime. In fact I believe he was actually charged.

I'm not saying that he is innocent, I am saying the Daily Telegraph article was a piece of sh*t and every poster here knows that if an article was published in it about a player at their club they would take what was written with a HUGE grain of salt. They publish sensationalist crap from unnamed witnesses and use the word "alleged" throughout so they can publish what is essentially a hit piece to sell papers. I don't see why we are taking the Daily Telegraph at face value just because it happens to be about Todd Carney.

Eels Dude

Coach

I don't know about everyone else. But sometimes when you really need to go... I get it out... I aim... and due to the force it may come out at 15 degree angle. Or sometimes an upward angle. I'm not sure if this is normal or a medical condition, perhaps I should get it checked out. But it happens to me. I try and aim as good as I can.. but sometimes that first shot can be really off target. That's why I've always wonder why women make it such a big deal if you leave the toilet seat up. I always offer the same response. "Would you rather me leave the toilet seat up? Or would you me piss all over?" Works every time.

Could have happened to Todd Carney we don't know. It could have been an accident but due to words earlier on the "victim" thought it was deliberate. Or pretended it was because he was pissed off. That's why we should give the bloke the benefit of the doubt. I think any of us would feel the same under the circumstances.

Karmawave

Bench
It was the players who voted for him to be stood down, not management of the club.

Well doesn't that say it all?

His peers, who were also out with Carney that night and no doubt would have seen his efforts, deem his behaviour bad enough to be stood down from playing even though he is the key to their team - and season.

Good post...

but doesn't that come down to the players choice of taking a job knowing full well what the consequences are for poor behaviour?

Let alone signing an NRL contract agreeing not to bring the game into disrepute.

No one is forcing Carney, or any footballer to be stars and play rugby league for a living. With that choice comes the attention of the media no different to that of an actor or rockstar.

He could easily decide to become a plumber, sparky, brickies labourer or whatever else he wants to do if the attention when he misbehaves becomes all too much for them?

Why should an NRL player be held to a higher standard though?

rugby league players are just people with the same issues and problems as all other people from the community.

You dont hear of many rockstars or actors being held to the same standard as an NRL player. Mostly people in these professions are forgiven for bad descions or actions they make. Carney on the other hand is facing being de-registered.

Im not saying he shouldnt face some attention for his actions. But he certainly shouldnt face a tougher penalty just because he is well known.

sass

Juniors

Let alone signing an NRL contract agreeing not to bring the game into disrepute. I am pretty sure none of us sign an agreed contract at our workplace about bringing the reputation of the business into disrepute. NRL players do.

yeah that's the thing - part of his job is to behave to a certain standard even when he's not playing ... that's part of what it is to be a professional athlete. in the same way that if a court finds nick darcy (just as an example) wasn't guilty of assault, he's still not gonna be in the olympic team. I know it's a much worse example, but it's the same logic, you know?

Eels Dude

Coach
Good post...

Completely agree. That's why I think we should wait until there's some backup in regards to these allegations instead of everyone sitting back and saying "sack him" etc.

If he's charged and found guilty, then fair enough. But in regards to rumours and allegations I think we should give the player the benefit of the doubt. He may have done nothing wrong at all, but the media is treating him like a cirminal already.

Tim Smith copped the same over the past couple of years. There were several occasions where he did the wrong thing and was punished for it. However, on other occasions members of the public reported him to be at the pub to be 'drunk and misbehaving' yet he wasn't drinking at all. In the meantime talkback radio and forums are demanding he be sacked and banned from NRL football.

Sleep

Juniors
If Carneys team mates were out with him surely one of them would of had the sense to pull him aside and have a word with him or put him in a cab and send him home.

Given it was a relative/friend of Tilse you'd think he would of had a word with them and let them know if it hit the media Carney would be in trouble and would offer to deal with it quietly.

All in all it certainly is a balls up.

Comparing Gasnier and Carneys past transgressions is pointless. Both of them didn't ridiculously dumb things. Doesn't matter which was worse. Both of them were pretty bad situations to have yourself in.

Latest posts