What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders to wear Aboriginal colours for reconciliation Rd 24

Raider Azz

Bench
Please refrain from talking about Rugby Union in this thread. We do not want to pollute the boards with such crap :p :lol:

I agree with thickos, I don't understand what all the commotion is about. It's a one-off thing, and who knows, maybe Channel 9 will give us the TV game that round because of it, too!

jed

First Grade
:lol: OK - I wasn't sure.

I like the jersey as a one off. If we wore it every season I'd be concerned.

greeneyed

First Grade
The Bulls used to (at least) have our colours as their alternate strip.....

However, I am not inclined to think we should play in black, red, and yellow, ever, as those are the colours of the Western Reds.

Lynchie

Juniors
This reconciliation idea is brilliant and Im glad to see the Raiders actively participating in it. I cant wait to see the team in the outfit and hopefully the whole occasion gets positive widespread publicity. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing it become a once a year annual tradition.

Great job Raiders. Very respectful. :clap: ;-)

Bay56

First Grade
Lynchie said:
This reconciliation idea is brilliant and Im glad to see the Raiders actively participating in it. I cant wait to see the team in the outfit and hopefully the whole occasion gets positive widespread publicity. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing it become a once a year annual tradition.

Great job Raiders. Very respectful. :clap: ;-)
Political correctness has always given me the sh!ts and the older you get the more it does.

We've said sorry ... end of story for mine.

jed

First Grade
Sorry for what? They have Brett Finch, we don't anymore! As far as I'm concerned, that makes up for a lot of their sins. Not all, but a lot.

Bay56

First Grade
jed said:
Sorry for what? They have Brett Finch, we don't anymore! As far as I'm concerned, that makes up for a lot of their sins. Not all, but a lot.
Good one :lol: :lol: :lol:

jed

First Grade
From today's DT http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,10142577-23214,00.html

Raiders plan Aboriginal tribute
By Dean Ritchie
July 15, 2004

CANBERRA Raiders will wear special Aboriginal jumpers in the club's round-24 match against the Sydney Roosters in late August at Canberra Stadium.

The predominantly black uniform will replace the team's traditional lime green for one day, and has been approved by the NRL.

The Raiders community relations manager and former grand final hero Paul Osborne has revealed why his club is planning to pay tribute to Aboriginal players and supporters.

"Over the past two years we have worked with the indigenous community," Osborne said yesterday. "This day will recognise their commitment to us - and now we want to take things to a new level.

"And we shouldn't forget that our first-ever captain was Aboriginal - David Grant.

"This will send a message to young indigenous people that they can achieve something."

On the same day the Raiders will also announce their all-time greatest Aboriginal side - dating back to the club's inception in 1982.

"We have a long history of Aboriginal players such as John Ferguson, Mal Meninga, Laurie Daley, Ken Nagas, Sam Backo ... the list goes on," Osborne said.

"It should be a great day and the NRL have been very supportive."

The special jumper will have yellow, white and red stripes and will carry the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islands flags.

The NRL's chief executive David Gallop last night applauded the move by the Raiders.

"It is a great initiative," Gallop said.

"It is a sign of how serious the Raiders are about helping the local community."

-------------------------------------------------------

There was also a photo of the actual jersey being worn - is anyone able to scan it in?

hrundi99

First Grade
abjers1.jpg