What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders v Storm

Stuart

Juniors
Marc Herbert [CNTDN] said:
Geez Frawley is hopeless. Doesn't look to get involved at all, gimme Howell any day (and I'm not a Howell lover).

Carney had a good 40/20. Poor short kicking game and MIA in general play again. How much do we miss Woolford?? He may not be the most pleasing player on the eye, but where a much better attacking side with him out there.

I thought Jones went pretty well in the second row.

The backline cant really be judged to harshly for going missing IMO, esecailly in the first half. The forwars failed to lay any sort of platform for them to work off or give them any room to move in and in the first half esecailly were compreensively outplayed offensively, making it very hard for the halves and outside backs to do anything of note.

edabomb

First Grade
Schif_Happens said:
Interesting, I thought Jones did absolutely nothing all game, and Carney was almost the best out there in green.

As the Frawley, he needs to find his passion/enthusiasm again. At the moment he just looks pedestrian.

Carney and Withers can't organise to save themselves. We didn't even look like scoring a try in the Storm 20 for 75 minutes, the only one we managed was a fortuitous bounce of Crokers head. Carney shows promise, no doubt, but all those people who said Elliott doesn't know what he's doing by not selecting him have been proven wrong. He is good, but still a step or two behind where you need to be in first grade.

Looking at Jones stats he didn't do much. I probably just noticed everytime he did something :lol: . Thurling was dissapointing.

Stuart said:
The backline cant really be judged to harshly for going missing IMO, esecailly in the first half. The forwars failed to lay any sort of platform for them to work off or give them any room to move in and in the first half esecailly were compreensively outplayed offensively, making it very hard for the halves and outside backs to do anything of note.

Good points, and go some way to excusing Carney and Withers in the first half. Although we had significantly mroe go forward in the second, and nothing really changed IMO.

Frawleys problems also come down to positional play, so he still deserves criticism IMO.

woodgers

Bench
Carney and Withers can't organise to save themselves. We didn't even look like scoring a try in the Storm 20 for 75 minutes, the only one we managed was a fortuitous bounce of Crokers head. Carney shows promise, no doubt, but all those people who said Elliott doesn't know what he's doing by not selecting him have been proven wrong. He is good, but still a step or two behind where you need to be in first grade.
Who says? You?

What bollocks. I thought he made some bad judgement calls 1 or 2 times with kicking but was the Raiders best. Plus the Raiders haven't won 3 straight for how long? Put him in and let him run it and I reckon we have looked the best in the last 4 weeks than in years. Don't forget that he isn't allowed to touch the ball for the first 4 tackles under Elliott! Melbourne are quality and gave us nothing in the first half. The Raiders fans around me at the club were saying that we were rubbish but Melbourne made us rubbish. That was a totally dominant 1st half that we had little control over. We actually didn't play that badly over the full 80, just couldn't force mistakes from Melbourne which we thrive on.

Bay56

First Grade
You can get a different impression of a game when you are sitting low at the ground but for mine Withers was very ineffective at No. 7 ... to many plays are structured around he getting the first touch and not enough on Carney.

Decent display by the guys in the 2nd half ... we won that and I made sure all at the ground knew.

Great to see a number of Raiders supporters there including Reptar who came and sat with us.

Hopefully yhe socceroos can make up for the disappointment here in Melbourne.

Bay56

First Grade
I stil believe that you start the game with your best 13 on the field ... the game was half gone by the time Weyman came on.

Imo you start with Weyman and finish with Weyman ... throw in Thurling as well for maximum thrust ... ie put your best foot forward.

edabomb

First Grade
woodgers said:
Who says? You?

What bollocks. I thought he made some bad judgement calls 1 or 2 times with kicking but was the Raiders best. Plus the Raiders haven't won 3 straight for how long? Put him in and let him run it and I reckon we have looked the best in the last 4 weeks than in years. Don't forget that he isn't allowed to touch the ball for the first 4 tackles under Elliott! Melbourne are quality and gave us nothing in the first half. The Raiders fans around me at the club were saying that we were rubbish but Melbourne made us rubbish. That was a totally dominant 1st half that we had little control over. We actually didn't play that badly over the full 80, just couldn't force mistakes from Melbourne which we thrive on.

I'm talking about those who said he was easily the best half in the club, better than Jason Smith etc.... I think he's good to go in first grade, just not ready to dominate. Unfortunately I expect so much given the years of hype.

Carney has the potential, but is still far from recognising it IMO.

woodgers

Bench
I also note that not many people have mentioned the 'Hero of the hour' Mogg who returned to his brilliant best and had what I would describe as a poor match. The media feeds most you guys bullsh*t like the Mogg fairytale to suit their Origin beat up and it got eaten up around here. He scored 1 decent try and made 1 decent tackle in Origin and he is put on a pedestal because that is what channel nein is promoting to keep their precious Origin alive. Problem was everyone lapped it up without actually making their own mind up again....

aussies1st

Staff member
Withers is no halfback as we all know. There was no one to take the pressure of Carney and his kicking. Tongue can't kick from hooker so losing Woolford didn't help in that aspect. Hopefully Smith returns to the 7.

woodgers

Bench
woodgers said:

I'm talking about those who said he was easily the best half in the club, better than Jason Smith etc.... I think he's good to go in first grade, just not ready to dominate. Unfortunately I expect so much given the years of hype.

Carney has the potential, but is still far from recognising it IMO.

Yeah, I was one of them. He is the only half at the club who can get the ball wide for players like Graham and Frawley to utilise their skills.

f**k the hype Ed, watch every game on its merit and make up your own mind. If you hadn't heard of him them you would be saying how well he is going. Just because people around here have said he is good you expect an Andrew Johns performance on a weekly basis and when you don't get it you single him out to suit your feud you have with GE and Bay.

edabomb

First Grade
woodgers said:
woodgers said:
Yeah, I was one of them. He is the only half at the club who can get the ball wide for players like Graham and Frawley to utilise their skills.

f**k the hype Ed, watch every game on its merit and make up your own mind. If you hadn't heard of him them you would be saying how well he is going. Just because people around here have said he is good you expect an Andrew Johns performance on a weekly basis and when you don't get it you single him out to suit your feud you have with GE and Bay.

:lol::lol::lol: It's true about me always trying to annoy GE, Bay and 69 by criticising Carney.

I do think he is still average with ball in hand though, doesn't seem to have much time. Compare that to Smith, who can hold defenders off easily. There are some players that have that from game one in firsts, Carney just isn't one of them, and will take a while to develop it.

Mogg was average, he should be on the wing full stop.

Bay56

First Grade
I dont know how you justify criticism of Carney on such a regular basis ed .... OK maybe it's not out and out criticism but give the guy some credit mate ...

Imo whenever he handles something looks on for us ... unfortunately he does not handle enough ... my only suggestion for this is that it is not in Elliott's game plan for him to do so ....

Withers on the other hand handles he ball on a far more regular basis ... cant kick, cant pass, and often cant tackle comes to mind readily when I'm thinking Withers.

Unfortunately the coach does not see it that away so you'll have to wait till 2007 for the Carney that the rest of us astute judges know already.

Leethal

Juniors
Melbourne were good today, but we are our own worst enemies.
Fifth tackle options and our first half kicking game killed us. When we did manage to put in a good kick, the chase was poor.
Why, for the love of God, does a team like the Raiders, that struggles to post points, continue with the short kick-offs and midfield chip kicks??
Surely, as a team known more for defence than attack, we should be punting the ball as far down field as possible, chasing up and pinning teams down in their own half as much as possible. Make them run 80 - 100 metres of our defence rather than the 50 - 60 metres Melbourne were gifted today.
Put the pressure on them rather than us.

Rugby League 101 or should I just STFU??

Bay56

First Grade
Leethal said:
Melbourne were good today, but we are our own worst enemies.
Fifth tackle options and our first half kicking game killed us. When we did manage to put in a good kick, the chase was poor.
Why, for the love of God, does a team like the Raiders, that struggles to post points, continue with the short kick-offs and midfield chip kicks??
Surely, as a team known more for defence than attack, we should be punting the ball as far down field as possible, chasing up and pinning teams down in their own half as much as possible. Make them run 80 - 100 metres of our defence rather than the 50 - 60 metres Melbourne were gifted today.
Put the pressure on them rather than us.

Rugby League 101 or should I just STFU??

you're dead set correct mate ... how many times do we leave the kicking option with a twinkle of a second to get the ball onto his feet ... this is just elementary stuff you practice .... we obviously do not ... it was the same last week with the exception that Carney got the ball upfield with good field position when quite frankly he was placed under considerable pressure

aussies1st

Staff member
Our 5th tackle options have been crap since Stuart left. We haven't found a halfback that has a good attacking kicking game. Smith has a piss poor 5th play option too.

PRKLCD

Juniors
WITHERS IS CRAP

I will reframe from comparing him to Smith, Carney or any other half in the game - I just want to talk about him.

I have been watching him all year at Canberra Home games. And from up in the grandstand I can tell you his off the ball efforts are just sh*t. He doesn't orgainse anything, just the odd point here and there. Infact he goes missing, he doesn't get position himself well and doesn't even play like a halfback!

Look at the Man of the match stats which are voted by us here on the fourm.
http://sgb.leagueunlimited.com/poty.htm He has played everygame this year and hasn't scored one point. Most of the players who haven't scored a point are have been eaither out injured or haven't even played first grade!
This shouldn't be the case for any teams number 7.

It makes me Sick that we signed him up for a long term big bucks stint at the Raiders. The reason he left the club in the first place was because we wanted to turn him into a hooker - so he went the Tigers to play halfback..... how did that go for him? Now the Club hires him as a halfback? how the hell does this all work?

I know some of you will say he will be our hooker next year, and yes I can't wait until the number 7 is off his back - but I am doubting he will be outstanding there - just expensive