What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders v Storm

Leethal

Juniors
Withers will slot into hooker next year.
I cannot fathom why he is designated first kicker in general play and takes penalty kicks for touch. Both Schif and Carney kick it much further.

SamBackosHead

Juniors
They didn't seem to get the ball much in the first half, anyone see the possession stats? Was that Withers who didn't find the line kicking for touch? Only the Raiders seem to make these kind of mistakes so often. Did anyone else groan when Weyman looked like being injured? I thought thats it - out for the season again. Good second half Raiders.

legend

Coach
Withers I thought was worst on field while Schif, Tongue and Carney were by far and away the best.

Carney is improving by the week but he needs his forwards to lay the platform and that didn't happen today.

Frawley had his worst ever game for the club and showed no urgency whatsoever. I'd be surprised to see him line up against the Roosters next week.

Purtell is a joke and was overpowered by Chris Walker FFS!

I thought Tilse was largely ineffective and with his size, he should be doing what Willie Mason does but I thought overall he was very poor.

It was pleasing to see us play out the full eighty minutes but Croker is way past it and the deterioration in his game has been alarming. He is a very poor player for us now.

Timbo

Staff member
legend said:
Purtell is a joke and was overpowered by Chris Walker FFS!

It was pleasing to see us play out the full eighty minutes but Croker is way past it and the deterioration in his game has been alarming. He is a very poor player for us now.

Finally. Someone else sees what I've been saying all year.

PRKLCD

Juniors
legend said:
y.

Frawley had his worst ever game for the club and showed no urgency whatsoever. I'd be surprised to see him line up against the Roosters next week.

That should be the case - but there is no way supercoach will drop anyone.

PRKLCD

Juniors
Timbo said:
Finally. Someone else sees what I've been saying all year.

IT is a touchy subject but i agree. Looks like he will play next year and it does concern me. I always like players to go out on top, this year should be the last for him

Timbo

Staff member
PRKLCD said:
IT is a touchy subject but i agree. Looks like he will play next year and it does concern me. I always like players to go out on top, this year should be the last for him

He shouldn't even see out the season.

When Thom LL comes back he'll force out either Rothery or Jones, which is criminal-it should be Croker.

raider1822

Juniors
Marc Herbert [CNTDN] said:
Geez Frawley is hopeless. Doesn't look to get involved at all, gimme Howell any day (and I'm not a Howell lover).

Carney had a good 40/20. Poor short kicking game and MIA in general play again. How much do we miss Woolford?? He may not be the most pleasing player on the eye, but where a much better attacking side with him out there.

I thought Jones went pretty well in the second row.

Bay56

First Grade
legend said:
I thought Tilse was largely ineffective and with his size, he should be doing what Willie Mason does but I thought overall he was very poor.

got to agree with you there leg mate ... pound for pound the average little fella generally put in more effort than your average big guy ... speaking from experience btw :lol:

I've not seen anything from Tilse yet that makes me think we have a match winning forward ... mind you he's only young and you know what they say about forwards.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
I thought Tilse in defense was very good, we need someone to be aggresive up the tempo for us.

Some of his shoulders looked to take out an army tank...obviously thats a slight exageration.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Tilse is just a kid and is only playing he's second first grade match so he can only get better. In saying that I didn't think he was that bad. Croker has to be told to run straight and nothing else, he's effective when he puts his head down and attacks the line but he's constantly forcing impossible offloads and he has no sense of timing when it comes to passing. Possesion cost us today and as Laurie said there's no better team in the comp at controlling the football then the storm. I'm just glad Inglis wasn't playing.

edabomb

First Grade
Mason was pretty average in 2000-2001 when he first came on to the scene. Will take a while for Tilse to learn how to use his size in the top grade I reckon.

Mal Meninga

Bench
Regarding Purtell - The only positive about him is he doesn't have the Toots brain explosion moment. Everything else is disgraceful, it's funny how people talked him up after the Manly game, but really he's rubbish. No athleticism, his footy brain is not up to scratch, and last but not least he continues the tradition of rubbish backs who regularly make the first grade side under Matt Elliot.

Now onto Mick Weyman... A great league talent, but is it inevitable that he'll never reach his rep potential? Every hit-up you just feel that an injury will occur. It's devastating for the guy who bleeds green and dreams about captaining us one day, but I feel management has done the wrong thing by giving him a contract so soon.

I'd love for him to prove me wrong though

Stuart

Juniors
Mal Meninga said:
Regarding Purtell - The only positive about him is he doesn't have the Toots brain explosion moment. Everything else is disgraceful, it's funny how people talked him up after the Manly game, but really he's rubbish. No athleticism, his footy brain is not up to scratch, and last but not least he continues the tradition of rubbish backs who regularly make the first grade side under Matt Elliot.

Now onto Mick Weyman... A great league talent, but is it inevitable that he'll never reach his rep potential? Every hit-up you just feel that an injury will occur. It's devastating for the guy who bleeds green and dreams about captaining us one day, but I feel management has done the wrong thing by giving him a contract so soon.

I'd love for him to prove me wrong though

Completely disagree, if the club had stalled on his re-signing and let other clubs have a go at getting him it would have been a HUGE mistake. He is one of the only players in the squad with the potential to be world class and to be a genuine matchwinner.

reptar

Juniors
Well, got home from Melbourne at 11 last night, and didn't get on-line until now. All in all, very piss poor effort. Melbourne were far too good and will give this competition a BIG shake up, but we were our own worse enemy. Being at the game gives a different perspective than watching on TV, and I had reconfirmed for me yesterday what I thought at the other game I've been to this year (Warriors), and that's our game plans are rubbish and that Withers isn't a halfback's asshole.

I simple can't understand our game plan yesterday - we were continually dominated in the ruck area yet we consistently ran one out and got smashed. I believe it was your father I was sitting next to Bay56, and at his second ever live rugby league game even HE could tell our tactics were rubbish. (He was supporting Melbourne but I can forgive him for that.) We looked FAR more dangerous when Carney was distributing the ball to the backs, or our forwards were running two off the ruck. Elliott now has an 0-8 record against Melbourne, which is absolutely disgraceful. Bellamy must be laughing!

As someone else said, that's the first time I've seen Croker use his head this season. Although most of the game from him was shutting down our backline movements, flat-footed hitups being dominated by the Storm's forwards, and impossible offloads putting his team mates under huge amounts of pressure.

Thank you to Jed and Bay for attending the game, it's always good at an away game to be able to sit with fellow supporters, even if we were all frustrated watching the game!

As for Olympic Park - people complain about it but there's worse grounds being used in the comp. The worst thing I could think of about it was the $52 taxi fare from the airport! I must be insane to spend the amount of money I did to attend the game, but a spur of the moment decision, and it was great to actually have some time to go to a game (my second job usually prevents me from going to any games).

reptar

Juniors
As for Tilse, he showed signs that he'll be good. His defence was relatively good, a couple of air-grabs, and once he learns that people will sh*t themselves once he throws himself into hitups.

Thurling, can't understand why he's on the fringe of first grade. HE NEEDS TO START GAMES! We need our best on the field, and he's definitely one of our best. Thurling and TLL are a MUST if we are to dominate. With a fit Weyman to add to that....

thickos

First Grade
Had a horrible feeling a performance like that was coming and the fact we were playing Melbourne in Melbourne made it even worse (and more likely). Back to our bad old ways.

Yes we were missing a few due to injury, and TomLL's ability on the fringes would have helped big time, but considering how sh*te a side we are we cannot give the competition leaders 67% of the ball in the first half and expect to have a freakin' chance of winning.

As for the players themselves, well I thought it was a mixed bag. A for effort from me goes to Tilse, yes he still seems a bit soft in the hitups for a guy his size but he was making an effort to get the offloads away, the only one who was! He needs time after a year out of the game.

Schif was great in defence again and should be the Qld #1, but we'll see. Frawley looks disinterested and i'm sure will be dropped next week for Howell, you can tell when someone's not putting in when they're the second to each contest. No urgency.

I didn't expect the halves to do anything behind such a beaten pack, and they didn't.

Thank god Weyman isn't hurt. He's so crucial to our planned rugby league renaissance.

We won't make the finals in 2006 but we'll continue to linger around 9-10th just so us poor suckers live in hope!

jed

First Grade
Something I was hopeing to see (and might get the chance in a next few rounds) is a set of 6 where Weyman hits the line, Williams hits the same point next tackle, TLL the next, then Tilse, then Thurling - when those guys hit at pace, it's not going to be too often that they get driven back in a tackle, especially not if they keep aiming at the same 1-2 players for an entire set.