What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rank Sydney clubs in Size!!!!

ByRd

First Grade
That poll doesnt mean much, it has the Eagles ahead of the Tigers which isnt right.

benoir91

Juniors
That poll doesnt mean much, it has the Eagles ahead of the Tigers which isnt right.

Yeah true, however its 50 times more accurate than all the guessing thats going on here, my point being

Canterbury
Parramatta
St George Illawarra

are the 3 biggest Sydney clubs hands down.

user_nat

Coach
Hmm..

1. Brisbane Broncos
2. NZL Warriors
3. GC Titans
4. Newcastle Knights
5. NQ Cowboys
6. Melbourne Storm
7. Canberra Raiders

3, 4 and 5 are hard to split..

Here are the results from the 2009 Fans Survey

Which NRL team do you
support?

Bulldogs 11.6% 3rd
Dragons 14.5% 1st
Eels 13.0% 2nd
Panthers 3.2% 9th
Rabbitohs 8.1% 6th
Roosters 5.5% 7th
Sea Eagles 9.5% 4th
Sharks 5.0% 8th
Wests Tigers 9.2% 5th

http://resources.news.com.au/files/2009/09/24/1225778/976312-dt-sport-file-nrl-2009-fan-survey.pdf

Order they finished in 2009 (rank from survery in brackets)
Eels (2nd)
Bulldogs (3rd)
Dragons (1st)
Sea Eagles (4th)
Tigers (5th)
Rabbitohs (6th)
Panthers (9th)
Sharks (8th)
Roosters (7th)

almost identical. I bet a similar poll conducted 12 months ago would have a different result. Bandwagon effect

benoir91

Juniors
Order they finished in 2009 (rank from survery in brackets)
Eels (2nd)
Bulldogs (3rd)
Dragons (1st)
Sea Eagles (4th)
Tigers (5th)
Rabbitohs (6th)
Panthers (9th)
Sharks (8th)
Roosters (7th)

almost identical. I bet a similar poll conducted 12 months ago would have a different result. Bandwagon effect

I understand what your saying it's probably evident in st georges results, however, on the contrary the survey was conducted mid season when parramatta was 14th, penrith well in the 8, manly still struggling

ByRd

First Grade
To me there is a big 5 and then a big drop after that.

Bulldogs, Dragons, Tigers, Rabbits & Eels are the biggest with us and Tigers the top 2, we have had the most consistent crowd sizes throughout the decade and the tigers have only had 1 good year and we have had our share of controversies this decade.

Dogs
st merge
west merge

parra and souffs go between 500 and 20000 depending on whether their winning

Roosters have around 8000 t0 12000 whether they are winning or losing

the sharks have 8000 max winning or losing

footy fans are very fickle people, we pale into comparison with the Victorians and their undying love for their afl clubs.

LRC

Heres a moe comprehensive list taken from a 9 year period.

This should apint a better picture than general opinions.

Pretty much shows what we expected based on success etc.

Sea Eagles, Sharks and Panthers have pretty much the lowest peak if they are performing and also when they are not.

Eels and Dragons definately sit higher than the rest with the dogs and tigers behind but relatively close.

The roosters are a head of the rabbits and it will be interesting to see if some sustained success can increase the rabbitohs support.

Seems most the Sydney teams out perform Canberra and Cowboys generally..however again sustained success may help.

http://www.roymorgan.com/news/press-releases/2009/948/
Which NRL Team do you Support?
Year Ending
Change since December 2001
Change since
March 2008
Dec ‘01
Dec ‘02
Dec ‘03
Dec ‘04
Dec ‘05
Mar ‘07
Mar ‘08
Jun ‘09

Bulldogs (Canterbury)
415​
494​
456​
474​
395​
354​
388​
-3.0​
9.6​

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
279​
241​
226​
249​
322​
310​
339​
346​
24.0​
2.1​

Parramatta Eels
666​
574​
581​
511​
515​
495​
450​
429​
-35.6​
-4.7​
Penrith Panthers
175​
171​
305​
355​
227​
201​
167​
170​
-2.9​
1.8​
Sharks (Cronulla Sutherland)
302​
282​
272​
234​
208​
193​
176​
184​
-39.1​
4.5​
St George Dragons
500​
497​
523​
488​
520​
531​
470​
462​
-7.6​
-1.7​
South Sydney Rabbitohs
333​
299​
270​
216​
250​
247​
321​
293​
-12.0​
-8.7​
Sydney Roosters
260​
258​
406​
417​
412​
306​
276​
254​
-2.3​
-8.0​
Wests Tigers
336​
334​
296​
343​
511​
513​
489​
387​
15.2​
-20.9​

I think we can end the argument now.

It looks better in columns (couldnt transfer it)...check the link.

Last edited:

Knightmare

Coach
Going not just from the away support we get at EAS, but also in terms of how many people I see in supporter gear out and about, I'd rank them from biggest to smallest, like this:

1. St George
2. Canterbury
3. Souths
4. Parramatta/ Wests Tigers
5. Manly
6. Easts
7. Penrith
8. Cronulla

Also whoever reckons that the Cowboys and the Titans have more fans than the Knights is kidding themselves!

Knightmare

Coach
Easts and Parramatta have alot of band-wagoners in their army. I can imagine support for Souths would be huge if they were successful but I was born in 1985, so I have no memory of them being successful!

LRC

Im surprised at the lack of support Penrith has really.
Its reasonably apparent week in and out even when they are traveling well they dont set high levels in relation to the population they represent.

It seems that a lot of people who moved out there in the last 20-30 years probably already have a team.

Hence why they get larger crowds against traditonal teams.

They dont actually have a large traveling supporter base also compared to older teams (much like the sharks and manly, their support is very local)

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Im surprised at the lack of support Penrith has really.
Its reasonably apparent week in and out even when they are traveling well they dont set high levels in relation to the population they represent.

It seems that a lot of people who moved out there in the last 20-30 years probably already have a team.

Hence why they get larger crowds against traditonal teams.

They dont actually have a large traveling supporter base also compared to older teams (much like the sharks and manly, their support is very local)

Its why I consider them the most dissapointing club in terms of fan support. Credit to them though, they are trying their butts off lately. I hope they fulfil their potiential because they are a sleeping giant.

Knightmare

Coach
I agree totally. How Penrith have not achieved more on and off the field in their history is a mystery. They should have won at least as much as Canterbury or the Broncos in the last 30 years.

And interesting you mention the Sharks fans, as Cronulla entered the comp the same year as Penrith (1967) and have won even less than they have. The CSSC reportedly formed after that trouncing by the Tigers at home in 2005 when the Tigers fans out-sung the Sharks faithful so much it was embarrasing. A bunch of Cronulla fans got together and promised to never let it happen again, and that was the beginning of their supporters group.

I don't think there has ever been a game that embarrasing (support-wise) for the Panthers at Penrith, although I will say that when they travelled to EAS a couple of months back I was surprised at how good the away support for them was. They aren't a club who immediately make you think of hard-core support the way Canterbury or St George do.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
LOL I love when Parra go to CUA, you hear the Penrith fans start a little chant "we hate Parra, we hate Parra" Just makes me laugh because the majority of Parra fans like Penrith and it smacks of Penriths inferiority complex to big brother.

Penriths best advatage is their junior numbers, using this, I would send out application forms for season tickets to every junior club and have them pass on a few to each junior players. Considering the amount of juniors they have, they would undoubtedly sell a few.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Something I've noticed in general public walking around is that many Bulldogs and Manly fans have merchandise along the lines of polos/shirts/hats etc, whereas most other clubs it's almost solely people in jerseys i see. Weird.

yobbo84

Coach
Something I've noticed in general public walking around is that many Bulldogs and Manly fans have merchandise along the lines of polos/shirts/hats etc, whereas most other clubs it's almost solely people in jerseys i see. Weird.

Disagree completely with the Bulldogs. Having lived in Bankstown most of my life IMO the Bulldogs are one of those teams where you see people wear their jerseys all the time.... mainly because of their friendly colour scheme.