What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rank Sydney clubs in Size!!!!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Dogs got ordinary crowds in 2008? :?

Bulldogs 14,288 (Last)
Manly 13,694 (Premiers)

Compared to other years, yeah - ordinary. But 14.2k average for a team coming last is pretty good IMO.

And that figure doesn't include the double header staged @ ANZ.

Sonic Star

Juniors
Eels fans are mostly band wagon fans. Only turn up if the club is doing well, no where to be seen if they aren't doing well.

OVP

Coach
Who cares ...how many actually show up to matches?. The Eels definitely have the greatest bandwagon support and so do Souths (although i will admit they have improved markedly in this area since Russell Crowe took over. He has emphasised the importance of memberships not only to Souths, but ALL clubs and should be commended for it).

Considering the Roosters have the most competition BY FAR than anyone else in the league (Rugby Yawnion being played in schools everywhere in the east, as well as AFL). We at least get rather large crowds to our matches (apart from this year, but that was an abomination of a year) and we have finished in the top two quite a fair bit during the 2000s. The bulldogs definitely have the largest fanbase though and they also show up to matches regularly as well.

Dogs got ordinary crowds in 2008? :?

Bulldogs 14,288 (Last)
Manly 13,694 (Premiers)

Compared to other years, yeah - ordinary. But 14.2k average for a team coming last is pretty good IMO.

And that figure doesn't include the double header staged @ ANZ.

I did mean compared to others. This year when they started winning, they did much better.

Surprising, looking at the regular season averages, the Roosters had a higher average than the Eels, as did Manly and Penrith.

Brutus

Referee
St George Illaw jump up to second on the list if the clubs were ranked on national support.

ashrafieh

Juniors
IMO, the Eels have the biggest fan base and that was evidenced by the superior crowd size in the prelim final this year.

IMO it goes:

Eels
Tigers
Dogs
Dragons
Souths
Panthers
Sea Eagles
Sharks
Roosters

:lol: Please, Parramatta didn't have more supporters in the Prelim Final... It was basically 50/50 (Give and take either way), Eels supporters stood out in the end because they won. Eels do have a big supporter base though but not the biggest in Sydney.

Cupid Stunt

Out of curiosity, & yes I know it was asked as a bit of fun, but on what are all these guesses being based on? Crowd figures are a waste of time when you look at the teams who have turned their backs on their area fanbase & opted to play out of major stadiums as the amount of free tickets handed out for each game is never subtracted from the final figure. Using those who enter a game free, while a semi decent way to maybe snag a few new people to watch games live, it does seem that it simply props up a false ideal that 3 parts empty arenas are a better prospect compared to fan full boutique stadia.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
that was the important part.
Using your logic I can say Bulldogs 17 Manly 4 and have a valid argument :lol:

Most recent results indicate we went from spooners to preliminary finalists, whereas you went from premiers to out-the-back-door in week one of the finals.
Out of curiosity, & yes I know it was asked as a bit of fun, but on what are all these guesses being based on? Crowd figures are a waste of time when you look at the teams who have turned their backs on their area fanbase & opted to play out of major stadiums as the amount of free tickets handed out for each game is never subtracted from the final figure. Using those who enter a game free, while a semi decent way to maybe snag a few new people to watch games live, it does seem that it simply props up a false ideal that 3 parts empty arenas are a better prospect compared to fan full boutique stadia.
Amount of free tickets? I've seen some gibberish in my time but you've topped it.

If the Bulldogs have "turned their back on their area fanbase", then why are they consitently pulling fans?

bobmar28

Bench

3 parts empty arenas should never be a better prospect. But the idea of people standing on hills is past its use by date.

Bulldogs
Eels
Tigers
Dragons
Bunnies

Panthers
Sea eagles
Roosters
Sharks

Last edited:

jpaciocco91

Juniors
Top Four is definitely Saints, Dogs, Tigers and Bunnies.

Last is probably either Roosters or Panthers, or possibly the Sharks.

yobbo84

Coach
I don't think you can really rank South Sydney on support until we have a couple of years where we are a Top 4 side. All teams have more supporters when they're winning. Unfortunately, Souths haven't been winning enough lately for this to be measured effectively.

Goddo

Bench
lately? the rabbits have sucked since the 70s.... lately my arse.

If they do manage to make it into the top 4 then yes, the bandwagon will be huge...

Mickyd39

Juniors
I don't think you can really rank South Sydney on support until we have a couple of years where we are a Top 4 side. All teams have more supporters when they're winning. Unfortunately, Souths haven't been winning enough lately for this to be measured effectively.

based on what you have stated about being a top 4 side, you won't get any big crowds for sometime to come.

Souths have a lot of supporters who are sea changers.

Lots of people who have moved out of the inner city to areas a couple of hours north or south of Sydney. They, and their kids, still support Souths but they don't get to many games because of the distance involved.

My family is a prime example for instance. My Parents / Uncle's and Aunts (of which there are 7 families with multiple children and grand children now) all grew up around the inner city. All are Souths mad but only one of those families still live in the inner city. The rest are either up on the central coast or as far north as grafton or they've gone south to places like Kiama. Using my parents as a prime example, nearly all of the friends they went to games with in the old days have also done the same thing and moved out of Sydney.

Last edited:
I think the easiest way to see how big a clubs supporter base is, is the crowds they pull when they run mid pack. No bandwagoners to pull the average up (that the top 4 sides get), and no frustrated fans that have had enough that will stop going to games to pull the average down (that the bottom 4 sides suffer from).

yobbo84

Coach
I think the easiest way to see how big a clubs supporter base is, is the crowds they pull when they run mid pack. No bandwagoners to pull the average up (that the top 4 sides get), and no frustrated fans that have had enough that will stop going to games to pull the average down (that the bottom 4 sides suffer from).

Yes but running mid-pack a couple of years after winning the comp or running mid-pack after years of failure are two completely different situations.