What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rank the Brisbane bids

and the Storm bring in an audience from Victoria (yes a small one) that wouldn't otherwise be there. I believe the Storm presence also gives SOO and the GF bigger ratings in Melbourne. If there was no Storm I doubt that State of Origin or Grand final would even be shown live in Melbourne. NRL wouldn't get as much money from 9 and fox... Ponga, Mitchell, Taumololo etc go play Rugby cause the game can't afford them.
Even if what you're saying about Melbourne is true, it doesn't mean Ch9 would pay more money for teams in Perth and Adelaide. Melb is 2nd largest city. Perth and Adelaide are not.

Storm, when they play, add an extra 20k people to 9Gem with the most successful team of the modern era. Without the 150k viewers from Queensland it would be worthless. At some stage their support in Queensland will dry up. Brisbane 2 will speed up the process.

Bris vs NQ last year drew 240k in Brisbane. That's an extra 67k on top of what the Broncos averaged for 2019. Local derbies for Brisbane will produce so much more than the meagre 25k viewers who tune in from Melbourne when the Storm play. When Storm aren't on only 4k tune in from Melbourne.

You cannot say Bris 3 and 4 won't attract high ratings in Brisbane when the Titans have done better than average with a shit team for most of their existence, and they're not even from Brisbane.

The fact Ch9 cut the coverage of the GF straight after Melb won the thing backs up what I said about the establishment having a vendetta against RL. I have no doubt the media down there has drowned out our game and give the Storm very little coverage during the 6pm news. The paper would be all about fumbleball. It's not going to change. That's my fear about expanding into hostile territories that have influencial people in positions of power who want our game to fail. They will do everything they can to keep the game down.

Most RL fans in those cities watch on Fox or Kayo, they gave up on Ch9 a decade ago when we used to have to wait until midnight for the game, and then it was hit and miss if they even showed it.Other than SOO and GF I havent watched a game of NRL on Ch9 for 15 years!

I do wonder if there is an under the table agreement between Fox and Ch9 to treat the game so badly in those states that it drives viewers to Fox? Only reason I could think why Ch9 wouldn't try and build an audience, especially in a dead time slot like a Sunday afternoon.

So Brisbane is full of fickle fans? There was me thinking it was only Melbourne you were concerned about turning off the club lol
god forbid the Brisbane team should have a long run of sht years!
How do you know Brisbane-based RL fans haven't switched to Kayo or NRL APP?

Are you stupid enough to think we don't get broadband here?

COVID-19 has hit people hard. Maybe they got rid of Foxtel and subscribed to Kayo to save money.

I haven't watched a game on Ch9 in years. I watch on Foxtel.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How do you know Brisbane-based RL fans haven't switched to Kayo or NRL APP?

Are you stupid enough to think we don't get broadband here?

COVID-19 has hit people hard. Maybe they got rid of Foxtel and subscribed to Kayo to save money.

I haven't watched a game on Ch9 in years. I watch on Foxtel.

What has the discussion that cities you are slamming for poor FTA audiences maybe having decent Fox subscription rates got to do with Brisbane?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can you repeat that in English?

I can draw it in crayons if that helps you :)

I posted about Perth and Melbourne potentially having good Fox subscription levels from the RL community due to the shthouse Ch9 treatment of the game in those cities over the years. You then started blurting on about Brisbane. The conversation had nothing to do with Brisbane lol

I can draw it in crayons if that helps you :)

I posted about Perth and Melbourne potentially having good Fox subscription levels from the RL community due to the shthouse Ch9 treatment of the game in those cities over the years. You then started blurting on about Brisbane. The conversation had nothing to do with Brisbane lol

You also said this in the final paragraph you senile old dickhead.

"So Brisbane is full of fickle fans? There was me thinking it was only Melbourne you were concerned about turning off the club lol
god forbid the Brisbane team should have a long run of sht years!"
Stick to playing with your crayons, or have you forgotten where you left them?

Pippen94

First Grade
You are blatantly trying to dodge the point!

Has Aussie Rules not grown significantly in Sydney since the Swans relocated to Sydney?

The Swans are easily the biggest sports club in Sydney and bigger than any NRL club.

They had 61,912 members last year and have averaged between 25-35k attendance over the past 20 years. Those numbers easily dwarf their closest competition in Sydney.

Also despite what you say it's my experience that the Swans (and AFL in general) are given strong coverage in Sydney and the rest of NSW and the ACT, and that they get that coverage on all channels and in all major newspapers. Their coverage is so strong that it has often been said on this site that despite the NRL being their product Nine seem to spend more time promoting the AFL than the NRL.
Afl has culture of membership & large live crowds - NRL does not. Best measure of widespread appeal are TV ratings - you can reach more ppl. Swans average 50k in Sydney & channel 7 will play Sister act 2 on main channel instead to win ratings battle.
Living in Sydney I can tell you NRL gets 10 times media coverage. Go to smh or telegraph. Local radio never mention it unless it's a grand final or Eddie does something stupid

Perth Red

Post Whore
Afl has culture of membership & large live crowds - NRL does not. Best measure of widespread appeal are TV ratings - you can reach more ppl. Swans average 50k in Sydney & channel 7 will play Sister act 2 on main channel instead to win ratings battle.
Living in Sydney I can tell you NRL gets 10 times media coverage. Go to smh or telegraph. Local radio never mention it unless it's a grand final or Eddie does something stupid

cultures can be changed. I’m still struggling to see why afl has that culture and nrl doesn’t, if it is nothing to do with overall popularity. Form a purely business point of view the fans are the customers and a club that can get more customers paying for its products the better their business will be doing. Either we have really poor businessmen in charge of clubs or the game just isn’t as popular as afl.

Re audiences I think it’s telling that tv audiences in the areas where there is an afl or nrl club tend to be bigger for afl. Nrl’s tv rating only match afl on fta due to regional ratings and that’s due to the large regional population in nsw, but most of those people don’t have an nrl team they can attend every other week. Until we get more people interested in Sydney in attending games (and as eels have shown it can be done with the right levers pulled) then we won’t ever see nrl coming close to afl clubs wealth or attendances.

mongoose

Coach
cultures can be changed. I’m still struggling to see why afl has that culture and nrl doesn’t, if it is nothing to do with overall popularity. Form a purely business point of view the fans are the customers and a club that can get more customers paying for its products the better their business will be doing. Either we have really poor businessmen in charge of clubs or the game just isn’t as popular as afl.

Re audiences I think it’s telling that tv audiences in the areas where there is an afl or nrl club tend to be bigger for afl. Nrl’s tv rating only match afl on fta due to regional ratings and that’s due to the large regional population in nsw, but most of those people don’t have an nrl team they can attend every other week. Until we get more people interested in Sydney in attending games (and as eels have shown it can be done with the right levers pulled) then we won’t ever see nrl coming close to afl clubs wealth or attendances.

League and AFL really aren't comparable to be honest. AFL has had a free run in its heartland states for 150 years. League has had to contend with Union since it's beginnings. League is for the blue collared working class folk, Union for the toffs. Sydney doesn't have a "lets all jump on the train or tram and head to the footy" culture. The city is just a lot more divided up into smaller sub cities. Melbourne from my experience is very centralized, better planned with better transport. AFL has existed in much better conditions for it to thrive compared to League. The NRL is lucky is has state of origin and the NZ/pacifica contingent.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can see that in Melbourne v Sydney re terrain and city lay out (though I have found pretty much the same in melbourne in regards to people associating and generally staying in an area like Hawthorn or Carlton or St Kilda but it doesnt really explain the other cities in comparison. Brisbane compared to perth or Adelaide, Newcastle and Townsville compared to Geelong etc). As for first points, that just reinfoces the theory that AFL is more popular than NRl inits respective cities for the reasons you've outlined. Its ok to say it is, but when people say NRL is bigger than AFl, then we look at crowds etc it doesnt ring true.

Brisbane2 will b a good test. If it an get up towards-30k crowds then it shows that the theory that a lot of RL fans in Brisbane wont follow the Broncos to be true. If it cant then we can confidently say there just isnt as many RL fans in Brisbane as there are AFL fans in comparable cities like Perth or Adelaide.

Nqcowboy

Juniors
I was pro Perth but the lacklustre nines made me hesitant, I mean the force supporters must be such stubborn union fans, so I’ve jumped on the brissie train, although I’d be keen to see the bears back
But back on topic if the bombers get the bid I’ll have a conniption, the whole corporate vibe of the bid kind of ignores the inherent tribalism of rugby league, which all the other bids have with ties to existing qcup teams and are basically promotions

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'll be very surprised if there is any expansion. Given the state of things I cant see the NRL having $14mill plus a year to spend on a new club. Id suggest if there is an y it wont be until 2023 or 24 at earliest. We still haven't really heard the full impact of this year on clubs and NRL's revenue and bottom lines. Or how much of the line of credit they have had to spend and will have to pay back. It could be very ugly.

mongoose

Coach
I'll be very surprised if there is any expansion. Given the state of things I cant see the NRL having $14mill plus a year to spend on a new club. Id suggest if there is an y it wont be until 2023 or 24 at earliest. We still haven't really heard the full impact of this year on clubs and NRL's revenue and bottom lines. Or how much of the line of credit they have had to spend and will have to pay back. It could be very ugly.

Perhaps the NRL will want to fast track Brisbane 2 considering the Broncos woes? Also poor seasons for the Cowboys and Titans on top of that. Can't be good for ratings in QLD...

Nqcowboy

Juniors
Perhaps the NRL will want to fast track Brisbane 2 considering the Broncos woes? Also poor seasons for the Cowboys and Titans on top of that. Can't be good for ratings in QLD...
Throwing a new team into a poor performing area on a tight budget seems odd

Perth Red

Post Whore

Not unless Tv are covering the cost, and the Fox deal is signed so no growth for expansion there, and after Ch9 pleading poor can you really see them stumping up $14mill a year more for a second Brisbane team that delivers no extra content?

The Great Dane

First Grade
But back on topic if the bombers get the bid I’ll have a conniption, the whole corporate vibe of the bid kind of ignores the inherent tribalism of rugby league, which all the other bids have with ties to existing qcup teams and are basically promotions
Every NRL club is a corporate entity at this point, and sure the Bombers brand isn't the greatest, but with the possible exception of the Firehawks, none of bid's brands are particularly inspiring.

So yeah when you actually think about it what's so wrong with the Bombers bid?

I mean they've got solid money behind them (or at least they did prior to covid), they seem to have successful businessmen behind them, and they've already got strong connections in the footy community, and the money to get good footy minds behind them.
They're willing to play out of Suncorp and have no plans built into their bid to move away from Suncorp anytime soon. Whether we like the brand or not, their brand is neutral, and there's a ton of benefits to that. Even the broadcasters were on their side a few years ago.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a big supporter of the Bombers bid or anything (I'm not really a big supporter of any of the Brisbane bids, they all seem deeply flawed to me), I'm just saying that there are a lot of positives to their bid and the main reasons that people oppose them are pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things.

BTW, "tribalism" in the NRL is some of the most over hyped nonsense in the sporting world.

In Australian RL it's just a meaningless buzzword, and anytime a group has tried to actually introduce some real tribalism into the clubs it's been squashed quickly, and probably for good reason.
You want to see real tribalism check out European soccer (or the ethnic days of Australian soccer), watch some of that and compare it to the "tribalism" of the NRL and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Not unless Tv are covering the cost, and the Fox deal is signed so no growth for expansion there, and after Ch9 pleading poor can you really see them stumping up $14mill a year more for a second Brisbane team that delivers no extra content?
You're assuming that there's no clause for expansion in the NRL's deal with Fox.

Nqcowboy

Juniors
and they've already got the strong connections in the footy community, and the money, to get good footy minds behind them.
They're willing to play out of Suncorp and have no plans built into their bid to move away from Suncorp anytime soon. Whether we like the brand or not, their brand is neutral, and there's a ton of benefits to that. t
If you’re in Brisbane you either support the broncos or another nrl team. Why would you drop your team for some brand new team. The only way I’d see is a bid like the easts tigers one so if there was a Cronulla supporter who also happened to be a tigers supporter they’d more likely become a firehawks fan

The Great Dane

First Grade
If you’re in Brisbane you either support the broncos or another nrl team. Why would you drop your team for some brand new team. The only way I’d see is a bid like the easts tigers one so if there was a Cronulla supporter who also happened to be a tigers supporter they’d more likely become a firehawks fan
The founding fan base of every expansion club starts out largely as a collection of fans of other teams whom claim the new local team as their "second team" until it eventually becomes their "first" team.

I mean do you really think that the early Broncos fans weren't already RL fans with their favorite teams before the Broncos came around?

If people aren't inclined to convert into fans of new clubs then why would people be anymore inclined to swap their current NRL team for the Tigers in your scenario?
Even if they were inclined to trade teams, the Easts Tigers current fan base is so small that it couldn't support an NRL team even if it wanted too, so in that case why would you target that market anyway?