What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rate the coach - week 1

BennyV

Referee
First post here, been watching a while, Seems the only reason OV made this was because we lost, had we won on a good performance, He would not have made this post nor would he have given a good review.

Actially these 'Rate the Coach' threads were common last year.

watatank

Coach
I think now that Mary has Demetriou for structuring attack I also think he needs a tactician to break opposite sides defence deficiencies down because clearly he does not possess attacking prowess and that has been proven by his time at the Cutters and assistant to Priceless and now 1st grade.

We saw what Cowboys did to Melb on their left side where Green, Mann & Koribete defended in that final last year. This year they had Munster in lieu of Mann in the same position who never has played centre at NRL level. Why was not this side targeted heavily with the ball in hand cause Koribete proves at times he is all at sea when having to number up or decide to go in..or stay out etc..we had to structure our plays to find them out.

There are plenty of coaches who are not good 1st grade man managers or can get the teams firing but are great Tacticians (e.g.. Smith, Henry, Elliott, Cleary etc) and I think that is what Mary needs to add to his support staff to take us to that top team level. It seems he can fire the team up, can man manage and is OK at defense.
But we need to show we know how target teams weaknesses and appear clueless on the field or have no attacking game plan suited to who we play.

I think Melbourne were ready for us to attack that edge and moved well to cover that. They gave us little room. We didn't help our cause it must be said I do agree that we don't seem to know how to break down defences, we tend to just concentrate on executing plays (which we do poorly anyway)

giboz71

First Grade
I think now that Mary has Demetriou for structuring attack I also think he needs a tactician to break opposite sides defence deficiencies down because clearly he does not possess attacking prowess and that has been proven by his time at the Cutters and assistant to Priceless and now 1st grade.

We saw what Cowboys did to Melb on their left side where Green, Mann & Koribete defended in that final last year. This year they had Munster in lieu of Mann in the same position who never has played centre at NRL level. Why was not this side targeted heavily with the ball in hand cause Koribete proves at times he is all at sea when having to number up or decide to go in..or stay out etc..we had to structure our plays to find them out.

There are plenty of coaches who are not good 1st grade man managers or can get the teams firing but are great Tacticians (e.g.. Smith, Henry, Elliott, Cleary etc) and I think that is what Mary needs to add to his support staff to take us to that top team level. It seems he can fire the team up, can man manage and is OK at defense.
But we need to show we know how target teams weaknesses and appear clueless on the field or have no attacking game plan suited to who we play.

Simple.

Because we have no organiser that can direct the play that way, nor direct his players to run the lines he wants.

Even if we did have a game plan (which I wonder sometimes?). you need a an organiser (presumably your half) to execute it.

Widdop and Benji both try to play this role - neither are very good at it.

Old Timer

Coach
St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor is set to continue his left-field experiment with a rotating right edge rarely seen in the NRL.

In an attempt to make the most of his stacked backline, McGregor used star Josh Dugan at centre in attack and on the wing in defence during last week's season-opener against Melbourne.

Flank partner Euan Aitken alternated with him and, together with an underdone Tyson Frizell, the bizarre combination produced mixed results. One lowlight was Melbourne winger Marika Koroibete burning Dugan in defence for a try, courtesy of a long ball from Billy Slater.

"We had a situation where there was a first time in an NRL game, where Euan and Josh swapped around a little bit there on the edge," McGregor explained.

"Josh is an outstanding catcher in the air, so they were swapping over. They lost their roles a little bit at times, but it's a process.

"It's only early. The continuity will come in time. The guys are working really hard this week to rectify a couple of them little things."

A solid club debut from Storm recruit Kurt Mann means McGregor is likely to stick with his revolving right flank for Sunday's local derby against Cronulla.

McGregor was impressed with Mann's near-flawless effort against his old club, communicating well in defence, showing courage under the high ball and laying on a try in attack.

"So if you look at Kurt's game, I thought overall it was very good. He just needs to continually improve on little things in the game that's more off the ball than on the ball," he said.

Second-rower Joel Thompson, not named in Tuesday's line-up, continues to be a day-to-day prospect as he recovers from a glute injury.

"Joel's an outside hope of playing, but he was last week as well. He trained with us right up until the day before the game against Melbourne and he fell short, and he's still at that stage now," McGregor said.

"I'll know more (on Saturday). They've just had a look at him upstairs now. It's flared a little bit from yesterday. But if he's right to go, he'll be playing."

Read more at http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/2016/03/...with-alternating-nrl-edge#CKTxJxS8KwBDBZEg.99

On this evidence the coach ranked his performance and his coaching outcomes pretty highly.

possm

Coach
St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor is set to continue his left-field experiment with a rotating right edge rarely seen in the NRL.

In an attempt to make the most of his stacked backline, McGregor used star Josh Dugan at centre in attack and on the wing in defence during last week's season-opener against Melbourne.

Flank partner Euan Aitken alternated with him and, together with an underdone Tyson Frizell, the bizarre combination produced mixed results. One lowlight was Melbourne winger Marika Koroibete burning Dugan in defence for a try, courtesy of a long ball from Billy Slater.

"We had a situation where there was a first time in an NRL game, where Euan and Josh swapped around a little bit there on the edge," McGregor explained.

"Josh is an outstanding catcher in the air, so they were swapping over. They lost their roles a little bit at times, but it's a process.

"It's only early. The continuity will come in time. The guys are working really hard this week to rectify a couple of them little things."

A solid club debut from Storm recruit Kurt Mann means McGregor is likely to stick with his revolving right flank for Sunday's local derby against Cronulla.

McGregor was impressed with Mann's near-flawless effort against his old club, communicating well in defence, showing courage under the high ball and laying on a try in attack.

"So if you look at Kurt's game, I thought overall it was very good. He just needs to continually improve on little things in the game that's more off the ball than on the ball," he said.

Second-rower Joel Thompson, not named in Tuesday's line-up, continues to be a day-to-day prospect as he recovers from a glute injury.

"Joel's an outside hope of playing, but he was last week as well. He trained with us right up until the day before the game against Melbourne and he fell short, and he's still at that stage now," McGregor said.

"I'll know more (on Saturday). They've just had a look at him upstairs now. It's flared a little bit from yesterday. But if he's right to go, he'll be playing."

Read more at http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/2016/03/...with-alternating-nrl-edge#CKTxJxS8KwBDBZEg.99

On this evidence the coach ranked his performance and his coaching outcomes pretty highly.

What a joke!

The Dragon's compressed defense structure left the their right side exposed and Slatter took advantage twice for two tries against us. When will Mary wake up and realize that opposition coaches are a wake up to this one dimentional form of defense. With a 10 nill lead surely it was time to mark up in defense.

Mann's inability to make significant meters when returning the ball, Reins poor service from dummy half and our halves not running direct contributed greatly to the end result.

Most of these problems were there in the latter rounds of last season.

Dragons1986

Juniors
Actially these 'Rate the Coach' threads were common last year.

They were, However OV, only made this one because we lost, If we have a few big wins at some point and he continues to make them and gives a fair rating, I'll retract my statement.

duck

Juniors
Not necessarily. A good manager puts the right people into the right roles.

If we were a struggling bush footy club you would be correct: where the coach would be in charge of attack and defence, as well as a host of other things. Fortunately, we are not a bush footy club (insert obvious point about us being run like one here).

Your views on Mary and Doust are fairly well known. In some ways I may agree with you, in others I may not. But you do yourself a disservice using arguments like this.

To put it into terms that may be easy for you to understand, imagine you were a lawyer at a prominent Sydney law firm. You are employing a secretary to do your filing because you are shit at it. You don't need to be better than your secretary at filing or typing, all you have to do is be wise enough to put the right person in the job, not the one with big tits.
Haha. How did I miss this? Awesome.

However OV, only made this one because we lost, If we have a few big wins at some point and he continues to make them and gives a fair rating, I'll retract my statement.
He did, we will, he won't, so you won't have to.

The Damo

Juniors
What a joke!

The Dragon's compressed defense structure left the their right side exposed and Slatter took advantage twice for two tries against us. When will Mary wake up and realize that opposition coaches are a wake up to this one dimentional form of defense. With a 10 nill lead surely it was time to mark up in defense.

Mann's inability to make significant meters when returning the ball, Reins poor service from dummy half and our halves not running direct contributed greatly to the end result.

Most of these problems were there in the latter rounds of last season.

Possm, the second try they had numbered up, Dugan was right in front of marika but got done with step and pace.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Unlike JBoy's 'under no circumstance will I criticise a Dragons player' mentality, my views are agenda-free and objective.

Straight Shooter

Ok sad sack, your responses and that of the Vag, shall be met with the following simple statement from here on:

'Trolls and lols' or 'Panda'.

So let's quantify my comment so you will have a better understanding of what goes on in your newly found support of rugby league.
I'm not keen on the personal attacks of any Dragons players for the sake of it but will happily air my views if I felt they had a poor performance. I try and support the players and the club.
This is also why I respond to your posts. I'm not that keen on replying but you constantly offer nothing but poor performances and a twisted view mixed up with a little hatred. I do understand you're still learning and am prepared to offer some leniency?
Let's talk about you and your disdain of our great club. Why are you here?
Did someone not sign a footy card for you? Did Dousty knock you back for a beer? Were your advances of a female rejected for a Dragons player/coach/ employee? Were you kicked out of the club for not wearing matching shoes?
I see you as a sad little fanboy. A wannabe law clerk way out of his depth. You continue to post uneducated garbage that fools 1 or 2 others but most posters here already know your posts will try to be controversial, inflammatory or just outright crap.
Your views are the opposite of agenda free and objective. Let's not kid ourselves, I kind of feel sorry for you and then realise you're only here for the....trolls and lols!

goggles

Juniors
An enjoyable post Jubileeboy, lightened my Sunday. But when you give him leeway for being new to the game, remember that he and his alter ego were Tigers supporters up until Benji left...he's/they're not that new to the game!

DeeJay1983

Juniors
McGregor must go. He has absolutely no idea. Continues to make diabolical selections and each week we field a side that look like they have never played together before. I thought that last year may have been the start of better days but he has completely dismantled and stuffed that side. On today's efforts I would give him a 1 or 2. He is no better/different than Steve Price. Perhaps Mary can get a water boy's gig somewhere too.