What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rationalisation of Sydney

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
? Haven't stated that at all. However aggregate attendances are a good total measure. Depends how the comparisons are used you delusional fool!?

Don't make me go back and tag you on the post - you claimed exactly that and as usual, you were shown to be wrong by the actual data and facts.

Stallion

First Grade
I would love a 22 team comp also but the reality is that it isn't going to happen. No professional sports comp in Australia has gone beyond 18. The mark the AFL are currently at, the sporting organisation with the largest revenue in the country. The other reality is that even the EPL caps the comp at 20 and they have enormous revenue streams. 18 is the max in the NRL for the forseeable decades.

So, using that as the framework we have two additional spots available for Perth (pop 2M), Brisbane 2 (pop 2.1M / SEQ pop 3.5M but with two current NRL teams), Adelaide (pop 1.2M) and NZ 2 (Wellington or Christchurch both roughly 0.5M populations).

Taking a 30 year view at expansion: Let's say that Brisbane and Perth take the two additional slots immediately. That leaves the NRL essentially with no presence in the Adelaide and Wellington/Christchurch markets for the foreseeable future whilst small, poorly run clubs in Sydney are taking up a spot and also choking up Sydney for the likes of the bigger Sydney clubs like the Eels, Rabbits, Dogs & Dragons to grow.

Lol. Your first statement used as fact is so wrong it shows how ignorant you really are. The ARL had a professional competition of 20 teams in 1995& 1996! And the code when the split occured had 22 professional teams! Try again you delusional fool!

Stallion

First Grade
Don't make me go back and tag you on the post - you claimed exactly that and as usual, you were shown to be wrong by the actual data and facts.

You are delusional! The aggregate attendances were very big round per round in 1995. It was an extremely successfull and progressive time for the code in Australia. then superleague ruined the progress! You are clearly a delusional fool.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
That's your interpretation, mine is different.
I can certainly be a traditionalist and an expansionist, because I want the game protected aswell as to grow, not destroy everything it has that actually means something.

Yeah you're making the classic political mistake of confusing a concept with an ideology because they have similar names...

It's like the classic case of a collective of individualist not making that group a collectivist-individualist group, because despite collectivist and individualist sounding like collective and individual they actually describe to two philosophical ideas that directly contradict each other and aren't just fancy words for a collective or an individual.

So yeah you can have a traditionalist that is for expansion (which is what you are describing yourself as), but just like you can't hold both a collectivist and individualist ideology at the same time cause they fundamentally contradict each other, you can't have a traditionalist-expansionist cause those concepts philosophically contradict each other as well.

That got a bit jargony, so for those that didn't understand expansionist doesn't directly equate to or mean 'for expansion', and saying 'I'm an expansionist' doesn't just mean that you are for expansion.

What do you prefer 20/20 cricket or Test....which one means something?

Neither.

Cricket is one of the most boring and overrated sports on the planet...

Wow, you've been following the game for a long time.

Do you remember some of those old commentators you listened to? That would have been the ABC I assume, who called the game back in the 70's?

Honestly my memory isn't great (and never has been), and I wasn't focused on who the commentators were, nor did I really care who they were, so off the top of my head like this I don't really remember any of them.

The truth is that apart from the ex-players, Rabbits, and Vossy I probably couldn't name any of the current commentators either, so it's not surprising that I struggle with commentators from the 70's lol.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Yeah you're making the classic political mistake of confusing a concept with an ideology because they have similar names...

It's like the classic case of a collective of individualist not making that group a collectivist-individualist group, because despite collectivist and individualist sounding like collective and individual they actually describe to two philosophical ideas that directly contradict each other and aren't just fancy words for a collective or an individual.

So yeah you can have a traditionalist that is for expansion (which is what you are describing yourself as), but just like you can't hold both a collectivist and individualist ideology at the same time cause they fundamentally contradict each other, you can't have a traditionalist-expansionist cause those concepts philosophically contradict each other as well.

That got a bit jargony, so for those that didn't understand expansionist doesn't directly equate to or mean 'for expansion', and saying 'I'm an expansionist' doesn't just mean that you are for expansion.

That all sounds great....however you are making the same mistake that was made by the accountants when super league was on....that is you fail to take into account the emotional attachment people who support this game have. This is the fabric of the code what it is built on not some stupid theory you spewed out. In business it sounds great but not in sport.....clubs aren't McDonalds franchises or big business mergers they are entities that MEAN something to hundreds of thousands of people.

So we have to protect this as it has already been severly damaged by the SL war and still 20 years latter it hasn't fully repaired.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Neither.

Cricket is one of the most boring and overrated sports on the planet...

Honestly my memory isn't great (and never has been), and I wasn't focused on who the commentators were, nor did I really care who they were, so off the top of my head like this I don't really remember any of them.

The truth is that apart from the ex-players, Rabbits, and Vossy I probably couldn't name any of the current commentators either, so it's not surprising that I struggle with commentators from the 70's lol.

However, it is still an extremely popular sport world wide, after all it's our national sport.

By my maths you must be 65-70, strange you don't value the traditions of the game like us other old blokes, anyhow I've got to head home to the north pole..............

The Great Dane

First Grade
That all sounds great....however you are making the same mistake that was made by the accountants when super league was on....that is you fail to take into account the emotional attachment people who support this game have. This is the fabric of the code what it is built on not some stupid theory you spewed out. In business it sounds great but not in sport.....clubs aren't McDonalds franchises or big business mergers they are entities that MEAN something to hundreds of thousands of people.

So we have to protect this as it has already been severly damaged by the SL war and still 20 years latter it hasn't fully repaired.

Nothing I said there made any comment on anything to do with peoples attitudes to the sport, the sport's history, or really anything to do with the sport at all... It was talking about basic philosophical theories about how some ideas and ideologies fundamentally contradict each other and thus can't truly be held by one person at the same time...

So yeah I don't know how you got your response from my post...

However, it is still an extremely popular sport world wide, after all it's our national sport.

Again you are reading things into what I'm saying...

My opinion on if I "prefer 20/20 cricket or Test" cricket had nothing to say about the popularity of the sport nationally or internationally...

My opinion simply said that I don't like either because I don't like cricket!

By my maths you must be 65-70, strange you don't value the traditions of the game like us other old blokes, anyhow I've got to head home to the north pole..............

Firstly I'm 73... I know practically a skeleton, one day I'll just stop posting on here and now you'll know it's because I gave up the ghost lol.

Secondly, the assumption that because I'm old that I must think like "other old blokes" is a bloody stupid assumption that totally ignores personal circumstances and history.

For one thing you're assuming that I value the "traditions" (for lack of a better word) of the NSWRL competition when as should be quite obvious from my previous posts I didn't really grow up with those traditions, I grew up with local traditions all of which the NSWRL were happy to murder in the name of progress, and frankly in the long run that progress was worth the loss of those local traditions (though if we had the time again I'd do things very differently, but isn't that true of almost everything). But now that it is the NSWRL's turn to give up some of their traditions in the name of progress they're second guessing whether or not it's really worth it...

By the way give me a minute to pour my self a drink before you tell me that I'm lying about my age next time.

You know for an "old bloke" you're pretty bloody childish lol.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
You are delusional! The aggregate attendances were very big round per round in 1995. It was an extremely successfull and progressive time for the code in Australia. then superleague ruined the progress! You are clearly a delusional fool.

The biggest aggregate attendance was in 2012, there goes your theory lol

Last Week

Bench
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/todd-g...-to-grow/ab5cfbff-dfe1-4d00-a483-2cb52c842cb9

Well this was a whole bunch of roundabout bullshit from the NRL CEO. New day, same old spin.

He has to be political about it. He's in the middle of compiling a report for the commission also.

Can you imagine if he committed to expansion now, without the backing of the commission or consulting the clubs? He'd be crucified.

What I took out of the interview was that Greenberg and the commission are looking at ways to increase the value of the game for the next media rights deal. They've done everything they can now. Mondays are out, we have Friday 6pm games, every game is live. There's nothing else we can do that will improve value of the competition. The ninth game is the next logical step.

What will be interesting is, if the NRL want to expand by two more teams, and one of the current teams move to Brisbane, what happens then?

mongoose

Coach
Greenberg says he will have an answer on expansion over the next 12 months, whether they:

move to 18 teams with Perth and Brisbane 2
relocate 2 Sydney clubs to Perth/Brisbane; or
cull sydney clubs and replace them with expansion clubs

knowing the NRL they will come back in 12 months and say - we are considering all these options and are going to invest a million dollars into a feasibility study which will take another 12 months

axl rose

Bench
knowing the NRL they will come back in 12 months and say - we are considering all these options and are going to invest a million dollars into a feasibility study which will take another 12 months

Same answer Gallop gave a decade ago.

Tigers will need to sort their shit out, The fans already know that smug merkin Greenberg has us on the chopping block. I cant see us being viable long term playing out of 4 'home' grounds. A full time move to WSS is inevitable.

Last edited:

JokerEel

Coach
In all seriousness which Sydney Team would be worthwhile to relocate and or get the chop from the NRL?

JokerEel

Coach
Same answer Gallop gave a decade ago.

Tigers will need to sort their shit out, The fans already know that smug merkin Greenberg has us on the chopping block. I cant see us being viable long term playing out of 4 'home' grounds. A full time move to WestBank is inevitable.

Tigers need to make the Move full time down South/West play the odd game at Leichhardt.. Playing out of Bankwest will only give Greenberg more ammunition as the Eels and Bulldogs can also be located there..

LeagueXIII

First Grade
He has to be political about it. He's in the middle of compiling a report for the commission also.

Can you imagine if he committed to expansion now, without the backing of the commission or consulting the clubs? He'd be crucified.

What I took out of the interview was that Greenberg and the commission are looking at ways to increase the value of the game for the next media rights deal. They've done everything they can now. Mondays are out, we have Friday 6pm games, every game is live. There's nothing else we can do that will improve value of the competition. The ninth game is the next logical step.

What will be interesting is, if the NRL want to expand by two more teams, and one of the current teams move to Brisbane, what happens then?

If you look at how the league moved into Perth in 1995 when over a number of years they started playing games there before the Reds came in.

Perth and Brisbane will come in.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Again this indecision is BS creates a negative out of something that should be a positive...just come out and say we are adding two new clubs will stop all the finger pointing.

Last Week

Bench
Again this indecision is BS creates a negative out of something that should be a positive...just come out and say we are adding two new clubs will stop all the finger pointing.

He can't make a call on it yet. How hard of a concept is that to grasp?

Last Week

Bench
In all seriousness which Sydney Team would be worthwhile to relocate and or get the chop from the NRL?

Geographically, Cronulla. Their area could easily be serviced by St George.

Wests need to service Campbelltown and Manly should be doing everything from the North Shore to the Central Coast.

Latest posts