What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rationalisation of Sydney

MugaB

Coach
Manly forever: Sea Eagles rally their fans
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/22/manly-forever-sea-eagles-rally-their-fans/

Is this a sign that the Manly hierarchy are worried they may be pushed off their ‘peninsula’? If the video is meant to be a membership drive it doesn’t inspire me to sign up. Sounds like a call to arms of the committed to stage a Souths-like protest if they are asked to relocate or lose the licence.

That coupled with reports the Lyall gorman is being courted for the head job at Cricket NSW, is this the first rat to jump off a sinking ship?
Nah I seen this type of vid before
Last season penrith had a very similar advert an epic/historical montage with the public, fans, players, NRL probably got some video crew to make one for every team then drop them out over the years
Ill post the panthers vid below
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp4L42duHbw

The Great Dane

First Grade
Pretty sure Joey Johns said he’d like to see the comp reduced in size to 12 or 14 teams.... but it may have been in an interview after a week long Coke bender.

I meant people that's opinions matter...

Unless they are talking about footy Joey or his mate Freddy's brain farts should never be taken seriously, then again Joey is notorious for saying this or that guy will be a great SOO/Roo's player when everybody with a brain and two eyes can see that isn't the case, Josh McCrone comes to mind as a good example of that, so maybe his opinions on footy shouldn't be taken that seriously either...

I'm sure they're nice guys that would be great fun at a party, and obviously both were great footy players, but with all due respect they aren't the smartest or most well informed guys running about.

Vee

First Grade

Unless they are talking about footy Joey or his mate Freddy's brain farts should never be taken seriously, then again Joey is notorious for saying this or that guy will be a great SOO/Roo's player when everybody with a brain and two eyes can see that isn't the case, Josh McCrone comes to mind as a good example of that, so maybe his opinions on footy shouldn't be taken that seriously either...

I'm sure they're nice guys that would be great fun at a party, and obviously both were great footy players, but with all due respect they aren't the smartest or most well informed guys running about.
It's a shame. When they stick to dissecting the footy, there's none better.

typicalfan

Coach

Joey used to do that but now he always prefaces it with potential which he emphasises which is a big asterisk. McCrone had plod coaches his whole career. Maybe if he had a half decent one at some point he would have been a better player who knows. I can remember one City Country game he played at hooker and he played quite well. Maybe if he was identified in earlier days as a hooker he would have had the appropriate training and been a passable nrl hooker.

Joey and Fred their shtick is just that. Remembering Joeys origin blow up where he was simply stating the elephant in the room and actually got criticised for suggesting to try and injure a player, which was ridiculous.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
BTW, why would the NRL rationalise two clubs and replace them with one? I don't think that anybody thinks that the NRL needs to be reduced in size.

I suppose I was just pointing out that Joey wanted it in response to your statement above. Regardless of whether it’s an educated opinion or not, someone still wants it to happen and I’m sure Joey isn’t the only person out there who feels that way.

I don’t agree with him but just like anyone in this forum, they are entitled to their opinion regardless of if it’s right, wrong or in between.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Cant agree, No fan deserves to be without his club .

Does this apply to BRL clubs? Or are they ok in the second teir? I'm not suggesting people have their club taken away from them. My preference is NSW cup rather than relocation and this only applies to situations where the club goes broke.

So tell me, if your club went broke for example, would you rather:

a) they go into oblivion and don't exist anymore
b) they relocate to a big city market with the potential to grow and you still get to watch them on TV in the NRL and attend their away NRL games in Sydney (probably on a special away game membership)
c) they are relegated to NSW Cup and you get to watch all of their home games in Sydney at their traditional suburban ground

B or C sound much better than A to me.

tri_colours

Juniors
Does this apply to BRL clubs? Or are they ok in the second teir? I'm not suggesting people have their club taken away from them. My preference is NSW cup rather than relocation and this only applies to situations where the club goes broke.

So tell me, if your club went broke for example, would you rather:

a) they go into oblivion and don't exist anymore
b) they relocate to a big city market with the potential to grow and you still get to watch them on TV in the NRL and attend their away NRL games in Sydney (probably on a special away game membership)
c) they are relegated to NSW Cup and you get to watch all of their home games in Sydney at their traditional suburban ground

B or C sound much better than A to me.

It applies to all clubs. Any club that can pay its way should not be affected by any of the above. And there is no sound reason why they should be.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It applies to all clubs. Any club that can pay its way should not be affected by any of the above. And there is no sound reason why they should be.

I gave you the reason. If a club went broke, which option do you take? The NRL have stated that there will be no more bail-outs.

tri_colours

Juniors
By suggesting a 2nd tier system you are talking about a virtual reserve grade situation . clubs would be better of no longer existing. a few fans may feel differently - Im not one of them!

No need to rationalise a strength (Sydney teams). The NRL just needs to realise an expansion team is an atrocious failure. (Gold Coast). Their membership is just disgraceful for an expansion Club. Around 5000 members.

They will collapse. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Switch that franchise to Brisbane and bring in a West Australian team. Not a fan of expansion because of player talent available but if the league is hell bent on it that is the best solution. Bringing in two new teams but only needing to find player talent for 1 because Gold Coast just gets re badged.

I will say though. West Tigers should make their home in the Macarthur area and Dragons should base themselves in Wollongong.

flippikat

Bench
They will collapse. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Switch that franchise to Brisbane and bring in a West Australian team. Not a fan of expansion because of player talent available but if the league is hell bent on it that is the best solution. Bringing in two new teams but only needing to find player talent for 1 because Gold Coast just gets re badged.

I will say though. West Tigers should make their home in the Macarthur area and Dragons should base themselves in Wollongong.

So you're suggesting that we have at least one bye every week?
Could work for a while, I suppose.. but eventually we'll need to have an even number of teams.

Under your scenario he bidding to be that 18th club would be fascinating.

Perth would already have a team, Brisbane would have 2, so it opens up chances for a 2nd NZ team, Adelaide, Central Queensland, Melbourne 2.. options like that which are currently way behind Perth & Brisbane 2 in the reckoning.

mongoose

Coach
No need to rationalise a strength (Sydney teams). The NRL just needs to realise an expansion team is an atrocious failure. (Gold Coast). Their membership is just disgraceful for an expansion Club. Around 5000 members.

The NRL is not going to get rid of the Titans anytime soon. The gold coast is one of the fastest growing regions in the country. Its in close proximity to Brisbane, so much so that Brisbane/Gold Coast it becoming one continous urban area. It also pulls in people from northern NSW rivers area. They have a perfectly good modern stadium all to themselves with plans for further transport infrastructure close by. There is also the threat of AFL who are aggressive in their goal to make the Suns the dominant QLD team. They already beleive the gold coast is AFL heartland and would love nothing more than to have it to themselves. The titans wont be going anywhere.

The NRL is not going to get rid of the Titans anytime soon. The gold coast is one of the fastest growing regions in the country. Its in close proximity to Brisbane, so much so that Brisbane/Gold Coast it becoming one continous urban area. It also pulls in people from northern NSW rivers area. They have a perfectly good modern stadium all to themselves with plans for further transport infrastructure close by. There is also the threat of AFL who are aggressive in their goal to make the Suns the dominant QLD team. They already beleive the gold coast is AFL heartland and would love nothing more than to have it to themselves. The titans wont be going anywhere.

And only 5000 members and a very poor playing record in the NRL.......

taipan

Referee
With all the dramas over the off season, and the numbers of disillusioned fans as a result, any notion of further rationalisation of Sydney teams would be IMO be well off the NRL agenda.
Alienating more fans in addition to those already treading on eggshells ,is asking for trouble.And further chewing away at a fragile fan base.
The code ATM needs good news eg expansion rather than further deaths of a thousand cuts.

The Great Dane

First Grade
With all the dramas over the off season, and the numbers of disillusioned fans as a result, any notion of further rationalisation of Sydney teams would be IMO be well off the NRL agenda.
Alienating more fans in addition to those already treading on eggshells ,is asking for trouble.And further chewing away at a fragile fan base.
The code ATM needs good news eg expansion rather than further deaths of a thousand cuts.

Hypothetically, if all the fans are so disillusioned then wouldn't now be the perfect time to cut the teams!?

I mean using that logic the NRL has already lost a huge chunk of those teams fans, so may as well cut the team now and rebuild somewhere else instead of giving the club a chance to rebuild before ultimately cutting them...

BTW, I don't accept that many fans are actually disillusioned at all. In my experience the only people that are really upset about these scandals normally couldn't name a player, that most of the time (there are exceptions in particularly grievous examples) most actual fans couldn't give two shits about the trial by media, guilty until proven innocent (and even then still guilty sometimes...), "scandals"... But that's neither here nor there.

Oh and "deaths of a thousand cuts" my arse, if the Sharks, Raiders, or whoever was cut tomorrow they'd be effectively irrelevant in 20 years, and effectively totally forgotten in popular culture in 50 years, and the game would still keep on keeping on. Just like nobody is bigger than the team, despite how much some of us may not want it to be true, no team is bigger than the game.

Hawkins

Juniors
Maybe we could just send the sharks around to different cities to be their franchise for a couple weeks each.

Call them the Aussie Sharks and they can spend a few weeks in Perth, a few in Brisbane, a few on the Central Coast and a few weeks in PNG.

For the couple of weeks they are in PNG Flanno could guest coach, the NRL can't reach him in a foreign country.

taipan

Referee
Maybe we could just send the sharks around to different cities to be their franchise for a couple weeks each.

Call them the Aussie Sharks and they can spend a few weeks in Perth, a few in Brisbane, a few on the Central Coast and a few weeks in PNG.

For the couple of weeks they are in PNG Flanno could guest coach, the NRL can't reach him in a foreign country.

Perhaps ,then again as the Raider's crowds were nothing to write home about, and membership numbers so far disappointing, they could join the Sharks as a travelling troupe.
I'm sure doing so, would ensure a deep continuing relationship to their respective clubs by their fans.More likely their fans would just disappear.
Although have a wildcard final series, would ensure the Raiders a presence at the meaningful end of the comp.Hey what!!