What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rationalisation of Sydney

Reggie70

Juniors
NRL Expansion idea

My belief is there are no more than 5 Sydney Clubs.

Here is what I suggest for Sydney clubs

Souths (Foundation club)

Easts (Foundation club)

Wests Tigers

Penrith (Westen NSW)

Parramatta Eels

Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles

Adelaide Or Perth Sharks

Illawarra Dragons

Canterbury Bulldogs (NZ)

TheFrog

Coach
Souths (Foundation club)

Easts (Foundation club)
Take out FOUR clubs, and leave two that are based within 2km of one another.

And why would you drop St George off the Dragons? St George is a nationally respected brand with followers nationwide. It would be like the AFL dumping Collingwood.

Relocations won't work.

Last edited:

27EELS

Juniors
They really stuffed it even before Super League bringing in the Broncos. They’re the ones that started the trouble and they will be the team that kills it also because they don’t want to share , Along with Storm and Roosters I guess... Too much money..,

When they brought in 3 teams they possibly should have held off a little longer with Gold Coast and instead brought in Newcastle , Redcliffe and South Brisbane.

Instantly U have 2 Brisbane teams with Tradition and existing fan bases.

Otherwise they could have corrected things after the Super League Fiasco because they pretty much had what they are trying to achieve now. They think in reverse lol

Perth should have always stayed, W.A was the third strongest State behind the Big 2 not Victoria. Obviously Melbourne was the market to break into but they could have done it via Perth and maybe Adelaide first. Instead of culling all those teams and merging Sydney teams to get Melbourne ?

They may have succeeded in a way but after 20 Years and the population Melbourne commands they still don’t Have more junior teams than Perth , Go figure ? Lol

They could have gone forward 20 years ago rather than backwards and they paid John Ribot all that money for this ??? Ffs they should have paid me lol :smirk: I’m an ideas Man and mine would have shite all over his and theirs 100%

They can pay me now if they want and I’ll fix it how it should be haha and it would be sick lol No joke !!!

27EELS

Juniors
I’d do it for free if I could make a difference especially to save the Sydney teams , All the Teams actually. I’d also bring back all the Defunct Teams if I could. They had fans... and bring in New Teams where they are needed ...

There would be no Relocation or Culling of Teams , That is moving backwards More Preservation and Resurrection of Teams with Expansion, That’s what brings back the fans. Bears fans , Steelers fans , Jets fans , Reds fans , Rams fans , Mariners fans , Magpies and Tigers fans , Crushers fans and I doubt Dragons lost too many fans lol

That’s a lot of fans ! Just getting the right Remedy or System would change everything , of course there would have to be compromise on how many teams in what competition they play in because there would be too many obviously and how many tiers , formats etc.

But they all survive but live and die by their own sword , not forced !

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
They really stuffed it even before Super League bringing in the Broncos. They’re the ones that started the trouble and they will be the team that kills it also because they don’t want to share , Along with Storm and Roosters I guess... Too much money..,

When they brought in 3 teams they possibly should have held off a little longer with Gold Coast and instead brought in Newcastle , Redcliffe and South Brisbane.

Instantly U have 2 Brisbane teams with Tradition and existing fan bases.

Otherwise they could have corrected things after the Super League Fiasco because they pretty much had what they are trying to achieve now. They think in reverse lol

Perth should have always stayed, W.A was the third strongest State behind the Big 2 not Victoria. Obviously Melbourne was the market to break into but they could have done it via Perth and maybe Adelaide first. Instead of culling all those teams and merging Sydney teams to get Melbourne ?

They may have succeeded in a way but after 20 Years and the population Melbourne commands they still don’t Have more junior teams than Perth , Go figure ? Lol

They could have gone forward 20 years ago rather than backwards and they paid John Ribot all that money for this ??? Ffs they should have paid me lol :smirk: I’m an ideas Man and mine would have shite all over his and theirs 100%

They can pay me now if they want and I’ll fix it how it should be haha and it would be sick lol No joke !!!
Rugby league in Victoria started from a very low base compared to league in WA.
It now has over 250 teams and grows each year.
The problem in Victoria is the lack of funding particularly by the arl to grassroots.
Last time I looked they had 5 development officers. That’s the joke.
Some very good players are in the Melbourne system and their junior numbers to under 14s clearly exceed Union now.
The growth could be better but the game is making headway.

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
I’d do it for free if I could make a difference especially to save the Sydney teams , All the Teams actually. I’d also bring back all the Defunct Teams if I could. They had fans... and bring in New Teams where they are needed ...

There would be no Relocation or Culling of Teams , That is moving backwards More Preservation and Resurrection of Teams with Expansion, That’s what brings back the fans. Bears fans , Steelers fans , Jets fans , Reds fans , Rams fans , Mariners fans , Magpies and Tigers fans , Crushers fans and I doubt Dragons lost too many fans lol

That’s a lot of fans ! Just getting the right Remedy or System would change everything , of course there would have to be compromise on how many teams in what competition they play in because there would be too many obviously and how many tiers , formats etc.

But they all survive but live and die by their own sword , not forced !
Great idea. Let’s bring back all of those clubs and have a thirty team competition that goes all year. Bring back the bears? Are you serious?

taipan

Referee
Let's just work on 18 teams.Australian cities populations are growing .
According to flush face ,if V'Landys gets the Chairman's job, he will ensure suburban clubs are retained and Govt lobbied for monies to being them up to date.He is fully aware of the tribalism factor, and doesn't want it further eroded in Australia's city.Especially with other codes , eyeing areas off.
Also V'Landys wants to assist the bush, which has been neglected.

T-Boon

Coach
Manly should move to North Sydney oval and call themselves Sydney Sea Eagles. The area needs a team and over a generation you would get some fans from around there that would actually travel to other parts of Sydney to watch them play away. It is also not too far for the people of Manly to travel to.

Having a team in Manly as the sole representative of the city north of the harbour is like having a team in Penrith as the sole representative of western Sydney.

Stallion

First Grade
Manly should move to North Sydney oval and call themselves Sydney Sea Eagles. The area needs a team and over a generation you would get some fans from around there that would actually travel to other parts of Sydney to watch them play away. It is also not too far for the people of Manly to travel to.

Having a team in Manly as the sole representative of the city north of the harbour is like having a team in Penrith as the sole representative of western Sydney.

Won't work. The North sydney people have a rivalry with Manly Warringah. It's survived for a longtime. I know of plenty of North Sydney fans (still alive!) that would detest such an arrangement. Their needs to be a Bears team playing out of the Central Coast. That would make North Sydney fans happy and reignite a popular derby with arch rivals Manly Warringah. On top of this the Central Coast become part of the Big League and Newcastle have a derby rivalry as well. Win/win.

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
Won't work. The North sydney people have a rivalry with Manly Warringah. It's survived for a longtime. I know of plenty of North Sydney fans (still alive!) that would detest such an arrangement. Their needs to be a Bears team playing out of the Central Coast. That would make North Sydney fans happy and reignite a popular derby with arch rivals Manly Warringah. On top of this the Central Coast become part of the Big League and Newcastle have a derby rivalry as well. Win/win.
Interesting idea. Did you just think of it then? Or have you said this over 500 times already? Won’t happen by the way. The bears are gone!

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
Let's just work on 18 teams.Australian cities populations are growing .
According to flush face ,if V'Landys gets the Chairman's job, he will ensure suburban clubs are retained and Govt lobbied for monies to being them up to date.He is fully aware of the tribalism factor, and doesn't want it further eroded in Australia's city.Especially with other codes , eyeing areas off.
Also V'Landys wants to assist the bush, which has been neglected.
I was joking about thirty teams. Ideally we need 18 with two more now. Perth and Brisbane 2.

Stallion

First Grade
Interesting idea. Did you just think of it then? Or have you said this over 500 times already? Won’t happen by the way. The bears are gone!

Perhaps not! ? With someone like Vlandy’s (a noted supporter of Sydney and surrounds tribalism rivalry within this competition ) may be directing the league and its future moves very soon.

Stallion

First Grade
He’s an intelligent man. He won’t bring back clubs. It’s an utterly stupid idea.

An intelligent man supports Sydney and surrounds rivalries. If a noted rivalry can be reignited plus at the same time add another region, it's a smart move for the code and the competition.

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
An intelligent man supports Sydney and surrounds rivalries. If a noted rivalry can be reignited plus at the same time add another region, it's a smart move for the code and the competition.
No it isn’t. Not only is it a ridiculous idea it’s never going to happen. Just because you are obsessed with this doesn’t give it any credibility at all. No wonder so many people block you.

Stallion

First Grade
No it isn’t. Not only is it a ridiculous idea it’s never going to happen. Just because you are obsessed with this doesn’t give it any credibility at all. No wonder so many people block you.

Lol. Don't be upset you little minded man! It's logical and its a win/win idea. Are you a bit upset you know it's right but can't hack it!? Poor little minded man! It's a valid idea and should be seriously looked at and put into reality. The move would make money and strengthen the rugby league footprint in NSW. (which happens to be under attack by other codes) Noticeably since the culling and merging of clubs occured since 1997.

27EELS

Juniors
Great idea. Let’s bring back all of those clubs and have a thirty team competition that goes all year. Bring back the bears? Are you serious?
Yeah Man I would bring them back , it probs won’t happen and none of what we’re saying on here Is gonna happen more than likely , They’ll do what they want and have Always done , go backwards. Some of You have some decent ideas the rest is mostly that N.R.L infiltrated by the Super League feeling ? That is shite ... lol

Not 30 Teams Princess ! , start at 18 and work towards 24 , 2 Conferences and a 2nd tier National Championships.

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
Yeah Man I would bring them back , it probs won’t happen and none of what we’re saying on here Is gonna happen more than likely , They’ll do what they want and have Always done , go backwards. Some of You have some decent ideas the rest is mostly that N.R.L infiltrated by the Super League feeling ? That is shite ... lol

Not 30 Teams Princess ! , start at 18 and work towards 24 , 2 Conferences and a 2nd tier National Championships.
If you say so.

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
Lol. Don't be upset you little minded man! It's logical and its a win/win idea. Are you a bit upset you know it's right but can't hack it!? Poor little minded man! It's a valid idea and should be seriously looked at and put into reality. The move would make money and strengthen the rugby league footprint in NSW. (which happens to be under attack by other codes) Noticeably since the culling and merging of clubs occured since 1997.
On and on you go with an idea that has no traction, no popular support and no financial or logical basis. You have been challenged time and time again to prove one statement you make with a shred of evidence but you fail every time.
This is your obsession. It has no basis in logic or fact.