What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ray Price, Eric Grothe and Terry Leabeater plan to remove Parramatta CEO Denis Fitzge

Suitman

Post Whore
I've just received the PDRLCL Annual Report.
Should make for some interesting reading tonight.

Page 3 disappoints me though.
With all due respect to those in the photo, I can't help but think that they are a bunch of cronies who are way out of touch with the demands of modern management.
IMO, there DOES come a time, when people need to move on. That time is fast approaching me thinks for this current board.
The club needs to be far more proactive and aggressive in the market they are in. It is the same in any business when stagnation overcomes progression.
This does not necessarily mean that I will vote for ANY alternate ticket.
As with the current board, the opposers will need to substantiate their case.

Suity.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I've just received the PDRLCL Annual Report.
Should make for some interesting reading tonight.

Page 3 disappoints me though.
With all due respect to those in the photo, I can't help but think that they are a bunch of cronies who are way out of touch with the demands of modern management.
IMO, there DOES come a time, when people need to move on. That time is fast approaching me thinks for this current board.
The club needs to be far more proactive and aggressive in the market they are in. It is the same in any business when stagnation overcomes progression.
This does not necessarily mean that I will vote for ANY alternate ticket.
As with the current board, the opposers will need to substantiate their case.

Suity.

well there are atleast a couple that have well and truly run their race.

eel4life

Juniors
We have 300 voting members on the Footy Club ...

OOOHHHH MYYYY GOD ... that is bad ....

5500 season ticket holders ...

this is what has to change ...

bartman

Immortal
Ok, the bit about Leabeater not being a members and therefore no being eligible to run isn't a problem. As I said on page one, because the article says that there are 10-11 potential candidates in this ticket, and they will be narrowing them down to a final 7 means that Leabeater just won't be in the final 7.

So no biggie, and it's just really a matter of Terry or the ticket or Josh Massoud (or all three) not knowing what they were talking about. It won't impact the elections, because it won't get that far.

As MITS has said with the structural/transitional arrangements, they essentially mean that at least 2 incumbent members of the footy club board must be returned (including one as chair), regardless of the voting result. Thus we are looking at one of the following scenarios after the voting:

5 3P Directors and 2 Incumbents
4 3P Directors and 3 Incumbents
3 3P Directors and 4 Incumbents
2 3P Directors and 5 Incumbents
1 3P Director and 6 Incumbents
7 Incumbents

So even if 3P have a final ticket of 7 people nominating only (the first) 5 have any chance of getting on. The votes of the membership will determine how many 3P candidates get up, ranging from 0-5, with 5 or 4 meaning that 3P has a majority on the Footy Club Board for the next two years.

None of which has any real impact on the direction NRL Partnership Company Board thing, until the Leagues Club Elections next April. 3P have said they are going to contest those elections as well, which are not as football oriented (hence their business/sponsor input to the ticket) but through our strange structure end up being the avenue through which NRL-football changes in direction and activity can really be initiated...

If I have understood this correctly - if a 3P Footy Club Director is also elected as a League Club Director, then they become eligible to (eventually) become Chairperson of both the Footy Club and Leagues Club - should they get the support from their fellow Board(s). That would require a majority in the elections for both Boards before that becomes a possibility.

If 3P fail to get a majority of Directors in both elections, then (presuming he is is re-elected in both elections) Ovo will most likely remain chair of both Boards for the next two years. But if 3P can get a majority of Directors in first the Footy Club elections and then the Leagues Club elections, - or if no incumbent is re-elected to both Boards - then the Chairmanship is up for grabs.

Like Suity, th eousting of Fitzgerald as CEO and employee of the Boards is not a big item for me. He is on a contract until late 2010, and is there to do the Board(s) bidding, no matter their composition or change of direction. Sure he has and seems to use his influence, but the Board(s) can decree what duties in relation to football/NRL he carries out or influences himself and which duties are delegated to other employees to carry out in perhaps a different fashion to what we have been used to.

And in fact, even if 3P do not secure a majority of Directors on either or both Board(s), that same change of direction can still happen - if the 3P Directors work together with the re-elected incumbents who hold all the experience. There are going to be at least two of them due to the transition structure that was set up, and so it doesn't have to be an all or nothing situation with animosity between different groups/tickets for the sake of it as we move forward. Once those incumbents who are re-elected know they are safe in their positions for another two years, it becomes their responsibility to work with the new 3P Directors (whether they number 5 or 1) for the betterment of the club.

It is healthy for members to have a choice, and it is healthy for people from the membership to wish to stand for election and participate in the running of the club. I truly hope that the incumbents don't stick their head in the sand or come out all reactionary and take sides, and instead embrace the potential contribution of any 3P members (majority or minority) that may be elected on the basis of the memberships' wishes for changes regarding how things about our team/club are run.

Gronk

Staff member
Open letter over Eels push

Exclusive by Josh Massoud | November 20, 2008 12:00am

EELS premiership-winning prop Terry Leabeater has this afternoon penned an open letter explaining the reasons behind his push for the Parramatta Football Club board at next month's AGM. In his letter, Leabeater responds to fresh revelations that the club does not class him as a voting member and is poised to block him from running alongside fellow greats Ray Price and Eric Grothe Snr.

Leabeater also hits back at Eels management for revealing he owes the club $3,000 – a debt he claims was wiped by chairman Alan Overton and CEO Denis Fitzgerald.
READ the letter in full
By Terry Leabeater:

"To all Parramatta and rugby league fans in general, please do not think that the ticket I am running on in the upcoming election, is an anti Denis Fitzgerald or Alan Overton campaign.
"I have the utmost respect for both men, and those of the board. This is a business decision for the future of the Parramatta Eels, and it is of my opinion that the people I have involved myself with have the necessary credentials to take both clubs into a new and successful era.

"When Denis has to sack a player from Parramatta, it is not a personal decision,it is a business decision he believes is in the best interests of the club. Eric's, Ray's and my view is exactly that, a business decision to run for the board, not personal.

"I voted for Denis and Ovo in the 90's as I believed they were the most competent people for the CEO and Chairman positions, but there is an overwhelming opinion for change. My decision to run was totally determined by the diversely successfull business people involved, many of whom currently sit on company boards, with one on the board of a major bank, and one a member of Parliament.

"The current board with Chris Jurd, whom I do not know, and Geoff Gerard, a Parramatta legend and Life Member, are the newest additions to the board. Denis Fitzgerald, Alan Overton, Michael Johnson, Don Richie and Gary Morris have been stalwarts for the club since I first arrived in 1986, with Ron Hilditch being another playing legend of the club, as well as being on the board firstly from 1985 to 1988, and then reappointed in 1991 to the present day.

"These gentlemen have obviously served the club with their greatest intentions, but the halcyon days of this great club are a distant memory, and with all due respect to the gentlemen above, it is time the club to evolve into a new era through new management.

"We have surrounded ourselves with individuals who have legal degrees, business degrees and those who have obtained a great deal of personal wealth through their business acumen.

"We not only have the remaining 4 seats on the ticket filled by long term Eels supporters and sponsors, we also have a support group of over a dozen people in an advisory capacity, including a major bank board member and a member of Parliament.
"These people and only these people are the only reason Ray, Eric and myself are standing, as it would be pointless for us to run without the support of established business entities, beyond reproach. We also have the enthusiastic support of vast amount of club greats, who are very keen to be involved in any capacity.

"The drive to participate in this ticket took a step back this morning after a phone call from a reporter, who informed me that it had just become personal, stemming from Denis's office. On the first count, apparrently I am not an elligable member to even vote, let alone stand ??

"I am a Perpetual Member and was informed of that and encouraged to vote in the football club elections by Allan Overton, a few years after I retired in 1988. If this is not the case, how did I vote and how did I even get in the room.
"The second point the reporter brought up is that Denis had thrown up that I owe the club money. Well for all and sundry, yes that is correct, and yes it is remiss of me not to rectified the situation. I sat in the beer garden at Crown Plaza Terrigal last summer with Alan Overton and discussed the situation, and he said to forget about it, it's sweet.
"I discussed the same matter with Denis at our last reunion."
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,24680780-5016547,00.html

Latest posts