What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ray to call games for 9, Matt Johns to Fox and a brave Ref

undertaker

Coach
I must say that I don't like Voss. He was ok in his roles as sideline commentator, occasional fill-in caller for Rabs, host of the Sunday Roast and Boots n' all, until he got the role as main caller for the 2nd Friday night game in 2007. Since then, I noticed his ego exploded into the size of Harry Jenkin's gut (although still not as large as Hadley's ego) and when he got the permanent pannel position in 2009 on TFS, that first episode incident he had with Russell Crowe was disgraceful (little wonder he only lasted one year as permanent pannelist). The fact he also left his wife for another woman (one of the Ch9 hairstylists) a couple of years ago didn't surprise me at all in the slightest.

However, regardless of how much I dislike him, it must completely suck to have worked your butt off for 18 yrs and come oh so close to achieveing your dreams (since most likely Rabs will retire at the end of this year), only for them to be shattered by the person who was not only your former employer, but furthermore someone you despise the most. That is definitely a bitter pill to swallow.

Last edited:

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Matt Ceccin??

mr-slave_39410.jpg

eozsmiles

Bench
Moving away from the topic of broken marriages, rugby callers, and where the ref likes to put his bits for a minute.

I reckon Andrew Moore is a pretty good caller and a decent panellist too. Not sure what his contracts are at the moment but I'd hope he gets a chance in the next couple of years to call some TV games and maybe get on a primary channel. Would like to have seen 9 or Fox have a look at him. He's only on oneHD at the moment I think? Maybe if he is contracted to Ten and they win the rights to a game we will see him in a more prominent role. Not sure Ten will be winning anything though.

Who are the other callers going round? Mark Braybrook?

undertaker

Coach
Moving away from the topic of broken marriages, rugby callers, and where the ref likes to put his bits for a minute.

I reckon Andrew Moore is a pretty good caller and a decent panellist too. Not sure what his contracts are at the moment but I'd hope he gets a chance in the next couple of years to call some TV games and maybe get on a primary channel. Would like to have seen 9 or Fox have a look at him. He's only on oneHD at the moment I think? Maybe if he is contracted to Ten and they win the rights to a game we will see him in a more prominent role. Not sure Ten will be winning anything though.

Who are the other callers going round? Mark Braybrook?

WORST CALLER EVER that is going around in the NRL (even worst than that caller on Sky NZ). Needs to come up with more expressions other than the hackneyed "they MUST SCORE surely".

Stiffy Rogers

Juniors
This is a huge slap in the face to QLD Rugby League Lovers. QLDers hate the bloke! So they dump the guy who modeled himself on Hadley - Andrew Voss - and now we have to put up with the bile and hatred filled Hadley call. I reckon he took the job just to give the finger to Andrew Voss. This is really bad news for Rugby League and not the direction they wanted to go in. Channel nine is insane if they think he is the best fit for calling league on TV... in QLD!

undertaker

Coach
This is a huge slap in the face to QLD Rugby League Lovers. QLDers hate the bloke! So they dump the guy who modeled himself on Hadley - Andrew Voss - and now we have to put up with the bile and hatred filled Hadley call. I reckon he took the job just to give the finger to Andrew Voss. This is really bad news for Rugby League and not the direction they wanted to go in. Channel nine is insane if they think he is the best fit for calling league on TV... in QLD!

:lol:Well, QLDers better get used to hearing the sound of his voice. Maybe Hadley deliberately chose to do the QLD game to try and increase his exposure, so he isn't just known in Sydney.
Unfortunately, as a Knights fan, I will experience the ignominy of having to hear his Rd 3 FNF call when we play the Broncos (which is the live QLD game, as it kicks off at 8:30pm AEDST).

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
However, regardless of how much I dislike him, it must completely suck to have worked your butt off for 18 yrs and come oh so close to achieveing your dreams (since most likely Rabs will retire at the end of this year), only for them to be shattered by the person who was not only your former employer, but furthermore someone you despise the most. That is definitely a bitter pill to swallow.

Hadley was right when he said Voss will always be a no.2 caller. (well no. 3 now) His knowledge of players and the game is excellent but he just doesn't have the voice for it. Feels a little forced at times. I thought Graeme Hughes was a decent commentator back in the day for 10, seems strange that he never get a look in at FOX considering some of the low standard commentators they have (can't stand Mark Braybrook)

nrlnrl

First Grade
So, I take it from what I've read that Matt Johns won't be doing any commentary at matches?

No, he's hosting the MNF pre-game & unsure whether he's co-hosting NRL on Fox or just on the panel. I heard him say that he's going to focus on rugby league when he's on Fox Sports, ( ie - no characters or comedy ) but will have opportunities down the track for other projects with Foxtel.

Chip Bayless

Juniors
Re: Matt Johns move to Fox Sports, I like it. My only concern is that he believes it's the "Matty Johns Show" on Fox or an extension of the Grill Team as MG is now there too (don't get me wrong, I love the Grill Team, though I look to NRL on Fox for some decent no-nonsense rugby league talk). If Matt concentrates on talking primarily rugby league, this is a winning move. If he wants to be 50-50 comedian/analyst, it's going to ruin the show.

Re: Ray Hadley signing at Channel Nine - I'm a fan of Ray Hadley. Always have been. If he is on Channel Nine as opposed to Andrew Voss, I am all for it and I am sure Ray has taken delight in demoting Voss to the third caller.

Re: Matt Ceccin "coming out" - is it Brave? Yes. Did it need to be an announcement? Probably not. I don't care if he is gay, bi or hetero-sexual, just do your best to get it right more often than not when out in the middle.

undertaker

Coach
Hadley was right when he said Voss will always be a no.2 caller. (well no. 3 now) His knowledge of players and the game is excellent but he just doesn't have the voice for it. Feels a little forced at times. I thought Graeme Hughes was a decent commentator back in the day for 10, seems strange that he never get a look in at FOX considering some of the low standard commentators they have (can't stand Mark Braybrook)

Graeme Hughes was a fantastic caller when he did Warriors matches for SkyNZ during 1995-2000. By far the best of the three callers SkyNZ have had (Hughes, Costigan and McIvor). Would MUCH prefer to hear his commentary over Mark Braybrook any day of the week. Maybe the reason he hasn't been considered by Fox is due to the feud he's had with Gallop.

undertaker

Coach
Re: Ray Hadley signing at Channel Nine - I'm a fan of Ray Hadley. Always have been. If he is on Channel Nine as opposed to Andrew Voss, I am all for it and I am sure Ray has taken delight in demoting Voss to the third caller.

It will be interesting to see how much Hadley modifies his commentary style when he's calling matches on tv. Clearly, his radio RL-style during the 2011WC semi final last year didn't work and sounded more like a horse race.

Brutus

Referee
f*ck

i was really hoping this would be a beat up and only apply during the Olympics.

why do 9 need their commentators to be a hundred years old? i might be in the minority, but i like Vossy, i think he adds a fresh and more youthful element to the coverage.

hadley is a d!ck.

Plenty of people like Vossy.

I think it's a disgrace he's been demoted. He is a great caller for TV and no doubt could do a fine job on radio.

I really hope 2UE goes in hard to call the footy again and uses Vossy as their main guy.