What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd. 14 v NZ

franklin2323

Immortal
I know he wont be but Walsh should be dropped after that. No one can defend him anymore, not once bombing Manu, the shit nothing grubbers to no one, the hospital passes

We had the ball for 43%. Inside our own half for 53%of the time. We had no way of turning momentum that's the problem.

The whole second half performance was terrible. We are down 18-16. 3 sets off our own line not a single forward hitup. No inside balls to faster players. Nothing:

Sadly. Coote's kicking game was just as bad. We finally get some ball & he kicks it on the 1st. Did Burns kick once? twice early on Mansour was unmarked inside the 10. Once he goes to Tighe instead of cutting him out. The second he goes inside to Coote. They need to be taken especially in wet conditions.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Coote's confidence is shot.

He carries the ball back with no purpose and he is about the only fullback in the NRL who doesn't sprint back for the 20m tap.

Perhaps it is time to give him a run with Windsor to get his confidence back.

Big Mick

Referee
Coote's confidence is shot.

He carries the ball back with no purpose and he is about the only fullback in the NRL who doesn't sprint back for the 20m tap.

Perhaps it is time to give him a run with Windsor to get his confidence back.

FMD...after one game? really Daz?...You are better than that.

Because he doesn't sprint the ball back for 20m tap?...really? That's a sign of confidence and reason why he should be dropped? Really?

God you lot are frustrating to read sometimes. Especially after a loss.

Last edited:

Panther_Daz

Staff member
FMD...after one game? really Daz?...You are better than that.

Because he doesn't sprint the ball back for 20m tap?...really?

God you lot are frustrating to read sometimes. Especially after a loss.

Not just tonight mate, his urgency has been down for ages. His confidence is lacking.

Big Mick

Referee
We must be watching a different game because to me he's had 2 bad games all year and the rest he has been really good and getting better each week.

We'll agree to disagree, but no matter what his form doesn't warrant being dropped imo.

Like I get people smashing Walsh. Because he is inconsistent as MX says.

But to me...Coote just offers so much to our team other than "running the ball back hard" that you can't drop him imo.

I put tonight down to absolutely awful conditions. And while he was responsible for conceeding 1-2 tries tonight...he also set one up after he caught a DREADFUL pass from Walsh and spread it wide for our 3rd try.

And Etu had just as bad of a game as Coote...yet noone is calling for his head...why? because he runs the ball back like a truck...But he knocked the ball on which led to a try. He got caught out for the first try...he made the error for the first try after half time....yet Coote is the one copping it? Just doesn't make sense to me. Bit of perspective wouldn't go astray.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
Be honest though Big Mick. Surely you would have expected far more from Lachlan Coote by this point in his career, based on what he showed throughout the lower grades and early on in his first grade career.

IMO he hasn't improved much if at all since then. Some areas are slightly stronger, while others have dropped off massively. His biggest strength early on was his ability under the high ball and how safe he was at the back. To me he just hasn't looked anywhere near either of those in a couple of years. I don't have anywhere near the confidence with him at the back as I used to, and the statistics prove that he's not as safe as he was either.

IMO if he can't offer that, we should atleast go for a fullback who will go for a huge workload and make us good metres. Not someone who the opposition wants to see return the ball because they're far easier to manage.

Big Mick

Referee
I have no concerns with Coote at the back under the high ball.

Has he been perfect this year?...of course not. All fullbacks make errors now and then...noone is perfect all the time.

Did I expect him to be further along in his career by now. Sure. But he's been hampered by injuries up until now and I've seen him grow as a player this year into a more rounded player. To me he is being asked to do TOO much right now. But overall...an unbiased person would sit back, review what he has done...look at the stats without any bias and compare to other fullbacks in the league and say that Coote has been pretty damn good this year. There is a reason he played rep footy this year...and it wasn't because he lacks confidence or doesn't run the ball back hard...it's because he's had a damn good year. Whether people here acknowledge it or not.

And sorry, but I'm not going to address your last line because you've frustrated me enough tonight with that line.

He was bad tonight but i think Coote has improved this year. I think he should be doing all our kicking from inside our own 50m seeing as Walsh has such a weak boot and will be picked every week no matter what

Big Mick

Referee
One thing we can definitely agree on MX now is...that Walsh needs to be in Windsor.

And we need to start developing a 6. Austin, 7. Seijka combination.

franklin2323

Immortal
My issues with Coote prior to this year was him not getting involved in attack. He's an ex half so should have more impact. That has improved 1000% this year.

What hasn't is his support play but it's not all him. We don't bomb like 2010 or offload like 2010. He's still there but just not getting the ball

Big Mick

Referee
My issues with Coote prior to this year was him not getting involved in attack. He's an ex half so should have more impact. That has improved 1000% this year.

What hasn't is his support play but it's not all him. We don't bomb like 2010 or offload like 2010. He's still there but just not getting the ball

One thing that has disappointed me this year is the inability of our guys to get an arm free.

Because he, Mansour & Burns are always flying around the ball and never get good second phase.

I think that'll change next year when Manu, Brown & VTK are in the 1st grade team.

THAT is when I can see us being a lot more razzle dazzle and that is where imo Coote would thrive.

franklin2323

Immortal
One thing we can definitely agree on MX now is...that Walsh needs to be in Windsor.

While I wouldn't complain it that happened. He missed 2 games a few weeks ago & we scored 2 tries a game against Melb & Dragons. Our kicking game and 5th tackle options was terrible.

He comes back we scored 9 in the 2 against Cowboys & Manly. I don't think he was that good in either. A few good things but nothing special. Tonight the same decent 1st 1/2. Terrible 2nd 1/2.. As a team we were better. Was it better forwards? Better service? We need to find that before any half can go well.

It won't happen until the off season. Ivan needs to watch the video of all 4 games and workout the difference. Fix that then who ever is half has a chance to shine.

Big Mick

Referee
While I agree to an extent Franklin I just think we need something more out there. Relying purely on Walsh as a playmaker and Coote occasionally is hurting us.

franklin2323

Immortal
While I agree to an extent Franklin I just think we need something more out there. Relying purely on Walsh as a playmaker and Coote occasionally is hurting us.

It's killing us having terrible halves. Burns/Austin were no better. I doubt Austin/Siejka will be either. We have to many holes in our roster. Both have to chance to get some big game experience in the lower grades. A full off season for the coaches to watch videos & fix the holes.

Come round 1 next year. We have Whare/Jennings to help in the backs. Brown/Manu to help the pack. Then we give Austin/Siejka the gig for the next 10 years.

age.s

First Grade
Was I the only one watching that thinking that was some of the dumbest wet weather football seen in ages?

It came off somewhat in the first half, and we were always in trouble in the middle against the full strength Warriors pack, so I can understand the team wanting to try things. Fmd though some of the passes, offloads, kicks on the first, grubbers to nowhere and zero contested bombs was just baffling. We did well to hold on for much of the second half, but overall that was massively frustrating.

franklin2323

Immortal
Looking at stats for the game. Our pack was terrible. Not 1 made 100m. McKendry 6 hitups, 50m. Only 8 offloads Walsh had 2 off them. Mansour's 211m is the only one to stand up. Terrible.

Combine that to our stupid 5th tackle option. The tap on for Hurrell's try very poor. Down 12-0 inside our own 20. A cross field kick to Daniela rubbish. Coote's 1st tackle kick terrible.

Completions was ok. Misseds tackles ok. The lack of go forward & kicking game cost us.

Big Mick

Referee
*sigh*

images

abpanther

Staff member
Dude don't take it so personally, it's reality.

When you look at all the things that great fullbacks have or do, Coote is down on most at the moment.

Physically he's at the bottom of the pack, he's not big or strong, and he doesn't have great speed or acceleration.

Therefore to be a good fullback he needs to excel in other areas, at the moment he is struggling.

He hasn't been safe at the back, his kicking game is off and he hasn't really been doing much in attack other than his support play.

Nothing wrong with saying it how it is Mick

Big Mick

Referee
I got no problem with saying it how it is.

But it is when that isn't supported by what is actually happening that I have an issue with. And the same people crop up after one bad game and drudge out the same BS.

I don't take it personally...it is just frustrating when a player has one bad game he gets hammered. It appears as though Coote is copping it for last nights loss, but Etu let in 2 tries to Coote's 1...and he comes off smelling roses. The inconsistency and bias in the criticism is what is frustrating.

I've never seen a player take as much unwarranted criticism as Coote has this season not only on this forum, but on PI. I've never been a massive Coote guy...but I've had to defend him like hell this year from a biased perception when facts and stats don't back up the argument that he isn't a good fullback, just because everyone had a hard-on for Gordon to be fullback and had the shits when he was passed over. Now Josh Mansour is the flavour of the month and a certainty to "Take over from Coote".

I get the hammering of Walsh, Ciraldo & Galea for instance as they don't provide the impact that is required...but for a guy that helps us so many more times than he hurts us...Coote cops it far too much and it is total bullshit.

No problem also pointing out where people are wrong in a mass perception either Ab. All I'm asking for is for consistency as far as criticism.

Does he deserve to be criticised based on last nights performance, absolutely! But so does the WHOLE team.

Does that performance diminish the good things he has done this year and suggest he should be dropped or hasn't been good this year, no - that is ridiculous.

Last edited: