What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd. 14 v NZ

betcats

Referee
I agree Big Mick, People got it into their heads that we where gonna have the next Billy Slater playing FB for us and now cannot accept Coote, some of the unfair crap he cops is disgraceful.

abpanther

Staff member
Agree with everything you said.

Uaisele was poor last night, but lets be real here, the guy doesn't really carry a whole heap of expectations. We signed him for peanuts and thought he would be a Windsor depth guy. He has been a nice surprise, scoring tries, getting good metres helping our our forwards and in general has been pretty good given what we were expecting.

Coote is a different story. This is a guy who came through the 20's as a potential superstar on par with Dugan, big things are expected of him. So much so that we let a potential NSW fullback go to accommodate for Coote. So the reality is that expectations on him are much higher than on Uaisele. Is that fair on a young kid with past injuries? Maybe not but that's life and that's reality.

IMO, Coote needs to play really well in all facets of his game consistently to overcome his physical deficiencies, and for me that's a worry and a recipe for disaster. He can't realy on any physical skills really to win games for him, he needs to do all the little things well and at the moment it's not happening.

The reality is in today's game you need a fullback who can break the line and create plays to help out the halves, I'm not sure if Coote fits the bill and I've thought this for a while now (way before last night's game)

abpanther

Staff member
No one expects him to be Billy Slater, but he certainly isn't living up to expectations at the moment

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I agree with abpanther on Coote.

He has lost a lot of pace and doesn't have the strength to break a tackle. He has been getting rag dolled a fair bit this year.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Uaisele is also on about 300-350k less than Coote. SO obviously the expectations are lower.

Big Mick

Referee
Also would you rather Dugan on $700k or Coote for what he is on?

Coote in a heartbeat. Dugan has size over Coote but he is far more fragile and far more of a dickhead.

Gordon left because the offer he got was too good to pass up and I can't begrudge him.

We didn't "let him go". Quite simply we got an equal player developing into a potential flash in Mansour, while attracting a good young centre & backrower

chrisD

Coach
Relative to the rest of our team he's a good player, relative to the rest of the competition he's not a good fullback.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I wouldn't want Coote on the contract he is on or Dugan at the contract he is on.

Moylan or Mansour can do as equally good job at the back for a fraction of the price Coote is on. We also have Kieran Moss who continues to impress and Dallin Watene-Zelezniak who is just a freak. If Coote debuted at 18, there is no reason why Dallin can't.

We all know Grant,Lewis,Jennings,Coote and McKendry are on massive overs.

All the focus has been on Jennings, i think some focus needs to be placed on Coote and McKendry too.

Last edited:

Fast Eddie

First Grade
From what I have seen Coote has been average this season, definitely regressed from where he was at a year or two ago in my eyes. But then again I don't watch the Panthers every week, I don't want to be one of those people on here who still thinks Jacob Lilyman plays second row for example.

franklin2323

Immortal
I wouldn't want Coote on the contract he is on or Dugan at the contract he is on.

Moylan or Mansour can do as equally good job at the back for a fraction of the price Coote is on. We also have Kieran Moss who continues to impress and Dallin Watene-Zelezniak who is just a freak. If Coote debuted at 18, there is no reason why Dallin can't.

We all know Grant,Lewis,Jennings,Coote and McKendry are on massive overs.

All the focus has been on Jennings, i think some focus needs to be placed on Coote and McKendry too.

Agreed. Moss looks a huge talent. Moylan looks to be a faster more consistant Coote.

I couldn't agree with your last sentence more. Jennings has his issues but he does put in on the field and can blow teams off the park. McKendry has been terrible this year. Coote seems to make more mistakes of late. There was no communication between him and Etu on a few occasions last night

abpanther

Staff member
Relative to the rest of our team he's a good player, relative to the rest of the competition he's not a good fullback.

Yep, exactly.

He looks pretty good in our team given the majority of the team is not FG standard.

abpanther

Staff member
Also would you rather Dugan on $700k or Coote for what he is on?

Coote in a heartbeat. Dugan has size over Coote but he is far more fragile and far more of a dickhead.

Gordon left because the offer he got was too good to pass up and I can't begrudge him.

We didn't "let him go". Quite simply we got an equal player developing into a potential flash in Mansour, while attracting a good young centre & backrower

I'm not talking about off the field stuff, in terms of ability and play on the field Dugan is miles ahead of Coote.

Yes Gordon left because he got a better offer, however he was not offered as much I'm sure because the club felt that Coote was out long-term answer at fullback, hence he carries those expectations.

Big Mick

Referee
So you think Coote is a strong runner of the football?

C'mon man, throw the stats away and just watch the game

No but he is obviously effective considering the numbers. It is a case of perception not matching reality.

What I'm just meant to disregard the stats and focus on just a bias of eyes. No thanks.

Big Mick

Referee
Yes Gordon left because he got a better offer, however he was not offered as much I'm sure because the club felt that Coote was out long-term answer at fullback, hence he carries those expectations.

Wrong. And you know it based on what I've told you off this forum.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
End of the day, what abpanther and I are getting at, is that for the money we are forking out for Coote we expect a match winner not a solid first grader.

Big Mick

Referee
So you think the club's offer to Gordon would've been the same if Coote wasn't in the picture?

Well of course not. But the fact is, he is in the picture and so is Matt Moylan.

No matter who it was...the offer wouldn't have changed.

Based on what I texted you regarding Sika Manu...my source is 100% certain with regards to this.