What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd. 15 v Knights

globalpanther

Juniors
1.D EDWARDS

2.S TURUVA

3.I TAGO

4.P ALAMOTI

5.B TO’O

6.J COLE

7.J LUAI

8.M LEOTA

9.M KENNY

10.J FISHER-HARRIS

11.S SORENSEN

12.L MARTIN

13.I YEO

14.D LAURIE

15.L SMITH

16.L HENRY

17.L GARNER

18.T TOELAU*18

19.M EISENHUTH

20.J MCLEAN

21.M GEYER

22.P RIKI

Whino

Bench
Both looked pretty good in warm ups. Martin didn't have a moon boot on and Edwards was walking without a limp. Give them another week and they will be fine

Not worth the risk.
After the game Turuva said Martin was no hope of playing yesterday.
He was injured against the Sharks and injured in Origin. Even if fit I would rest him.

With Cleary out I would be taking a very cautious approach with Edwards too.

Iamback

Coach
Not worth the risk.
After the game Turuva said Martin was no hope of playing yesterday.
He was injured against the Sharks and injured in Origin. Even if fit I would rest him.

With Cleary out I would be taking a very cautious approach with Edwards too.

Yes but pre game at the ground they spoke to Martin and said he will be back next week. If the player wants to play and the risk of re-injury is low than Player often wins. Especially after a freshen up

Sime_11

Juniors
Martin i would rest and play Edwards - he's had a rest and should be ok to play. If he was out 4-6 weeks we'd know by now.

Tago needs to be dropped or if you have to play him, put him back to the left- Alamoti will be fine on the right edge - we are leaking points down that side ridiculously

if neither of Tago/Turuva get dropped after conceding 4 tries on the same player..... WTH is Ivan doing

Hooked

Juniors
I would like to see some stats of how many tries we have leaked down our right edge compared to other teams.
It would have to be near the worst.

Bob

Juniors
Martin i would rest and play Edwards - he's had a rest and should be ok to play. If he was out 4-6 weeks we'd know by now.

Tago needs to be dropped or if you have to play him, put him back to the left- Alamoti will be fine on the right edge - we are leaking points down that side ridiculously

if neither of Tago/Turuva get dropped after conceding 4 tries on the same player..... WTH is Ivan doing
Tago is not the only one at fault, Turuva has a lot of deficiencies in his defensive reads as well,

Whino

Bench
I would like to see some stats of how many tries we have leaked down our right edge compared to other teams.
It would have to be near the worst.

If we judge right-hand defence on just percentages. Not volume. We are the 2nd worst with 52% of tries conceded by our right-edge. The Bulldogs are the worst with 61%
By comparison our left-side only concedes 26% of our overall tries. Only 8 tries conceded down the left. 2nd best in the NRL of any side defence.

If we look at tries conceded over the whole NRL, just on sides. On percentages we are 3rd highest. But that is misleading. We need to base it on volume.

Volume is the key.
We have only conceded 36 tries all year. 2nd best in the NRL behind the Bulldogs with 31.
On right-hand side defence. There are 11 other sides that have conceded more tries on the right-side, than our 16. 30 is the worst by the Eels.

We have the best defence when all points are counted.
Souths have conceded 67 tries. Making them the worst and having the worst overall defence.

Looking at the figures in 2023 we still leaked 52% of our tries down the right side. But 5th best for right-side defence in the NRL.
Our right-side leakage on higher proportion is nothing new. 45% in 2022 in our year of dominance.

Once you look at the volume of tries compared to other teams. We are pretty good. And in some cases very stingy. The percentages make it look worse than it is.

The data is updated every Tuesday.

WestyLife

First Grade
If we judge right-hand defence on just percentages. Not volume. We are the 2nd worst with 52% of tries conceded by our right-edge. The Bulldogs are the worst with 61%
By comparison our left-side only concedes 26% of our overall tries. Only 8 tries conceded down the left. 2nd best in the NRL of any side defence.

If we look at tries conceded over the whole NRL, just on sides. On percentages we are 3rd highest. But that is misleading. We need to base it on volume.

Volume is the key.
We have only conceded 36 tries all year. 2nd best in the NRL behind the Bulldogs with 31.
On right-hand side defence. There are 11 other sides that have conceded more tries on the right-side, than our 16. 30 is the worst by the Eels.

We have the best defence when all points are counted.
Souths have conceded 67 tries. Making them the worst and having the worst overall defence.

Looking at the figures in 2023 we still leaked 52% of our tries down the right side. But 5th best for right-side defence in the NRL.
Our right-side leakage on higher proportion is nothing new. 45% in 2022 in our year of dominance.

Once you look at the volume of tries compared to other teams. We are pretty good. And in some cases very stingy. The percentages make it look worse than it is.

The data is updated every Tuesday.

Good to see the actual numbers because this weekend was especially worrying. Every set on the line Manly scored or close to it.

Panfa

Juniors
Edwards and Martin may need to prove there fitness against the knights in order to play origin 2

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I agree, we should probably rest them.

Cant be too careful.

BUGGER ORIGIN. It's just a friendly to make feral Qlders feel better about themselves.

Martin and Edwards need a game under their belt. Let's call it a 'fitness' test.

Very impressed little Laurie yesterday, understudy for Edwards. Keep him on the bench at 14. Good fill in for injuries and the like. Had a wonderful game.

maple_69

Bench
Agree we need to try Tago on the left. Luai, Sorenson and To’o are very strong and will help. Fact is most teams are stronger attacking the left and the rushing style of Tago works a bit better in disrupting right side shifts while sides tend to be better at navigating a guy flying out and working the numbers on their left.

I’d keep the side pretty much the same otherwise.

Frankus

Juniors

They just need to not be beat on the outside. They have the speed to shut down the play if attackers try to beat them on the outside. I think a lot of this has to do with not trusting the man defending inside. And if they do jam in to shut the play down they need to get the timing right and not get stuck in no man's land which happened a couple of times on the weekend as the most recent example. I'm trusting they will come good.

PennyPanthers81

Juniors
No surprises on the team list. Edwards back, Marto on the extended bench. Hopefully this means that he doesn't play origin 2.