What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd 17 vs Tigers

kyussian

Juniors
Thought Yeo, Blake, Mansour & Merrin were terrific. Moylan missing origin may be the best thing for the club, he seems to busy trying to impress Laurie rather than playing for the team.

+1

Thought Latimore was pretty good also.

Anyone who keeps harping on about our easy draw & guaranteed spot in the 8 just has to refer to this game to remind ourselves this is not the case. There are no easy 2 points in this competition.

I know it's easy in hindsight but just hoping the decision to let Taylor go will pay off in the end.
Defence atrocious! Structure in attack non-existent! Loose all-round.

The positive is that we all know they'll turn it around but let's just hope that starts now.

Panther Pete

Juniors
A clueless team of some talented individuals who occasionally win a game and the media hypes a few of them up. The signs have been there even in the two wins that they're just pretenders. I'm very much doubting the top 8.

This is exactly what I think. I just don't get the general excitement on this forum for where we are at considering we are now 2/3's of the way thought the season and to the best of my recollection we haven't put a single team away all year with a really decent score. So many players get the ball and run towards the sideline rather than straight, the game plan seems to be off-load at every opportunity and hope for the best. I know many on here think we are a genuine chance of winning a comp in the next year or so but I just don't see it.

That was simply our worst effort of the year. Absolutely inept in defence. So glad we only lost by 8. Deserved a thumping, thank god we didn't play Melbourne, wouldn't have scored a point. Those intercepts thrown by Cleary and Moyza were stupid, nothing was happening, hospital balls. The try to Nofoaluma on half time was heart breaking. We were slipping off tackles all night, Tedesco tore Carty to shreds. Mansour with a typical 250 metre effort, a beast as always. Cleary tried hard, could have run a bit more perhaps with the time he had. Either way that was an abhorrent defensive effort. Knew when we were up 14-2 that both tries could have gone against us, and when Tedesco ran straight through it looked awful. We also had 57% possession for most of the game, but every break the Tigers made, we let them through. Oh well, good performances from Mansour, Merrin and others. Hardaker looked alright, nothing much, didn't get heaps of a chance. Can't blame him for not passing to Yeo late in the game and going himself, but that was nearly a certain try to Yeo in the corner. Hopefully that is a big indication we need to focus on defence first, particularly against Cronulla next week. At least Carty won't get picked for Origin.

Last edited:

Rowdy Panther

Juniors
Shocking performance. What's with the touch footy tactics? Rubbish football.

Anthony Griffin isn't a smart operator. I knew it when he signed. Yes he bloods rookies into FG but tactics and game plans are beyond his ability.

ashton

Juniors

Anthony Griffin isn't a smart operator. I knew it when he signed. Yes he bloods rookies into FG but tactics and game plans are beyond his ability.

You are spot on.........post of the year so far.

You are spot on.........post of the year so far.

Exactly right. We either can't perfect set plays or don't seem to have any at all. Offloading and running in circles seems to be the only way we are scoring when running straight and then having someone backing up in support would be more effective

ashton

Juniors
Exactly right. We either can't perfect set plays or don't seem to have any at all. Offloading and running in circles seems to be the only way we are scoring when running straight and then having someone backing up in support would be more effective
And West Tigers supporters want Jason Taylor sacked because he can,t coach.

Kilkenny

Coach
I have never been in the Moylan for 5/8 fan club. However, if ever we were going to play Moylan in the halves then surely now is the time.

The Bryce Cartwright in the six must surely be consigned to history, never to return. Tedesco will be the Blues fullback for SOO 3 and picking Moylan off the bench is simply a waste of a bench player so he will surely be available for us against the Sharks.

Just do it!!! Pick Moylan in the six for the next three to four weeks, before TMM is due to return to see how it works out. If it works great, if not bring TMM straight back into the side.

The new recruit Hardaker can play fullback, his best position, and we can rightfully see what he offers.

Against the Sharks I would line up with;

1. Hardaker
2. Mansour
3. Blake
4. Smith
5. DWZ
6. Moylan
7. Cleary
8. Merrin.
9. Wallace.
10. Latu.
11. Yeo.
12. Cartwright.
13. Peachy.

14. RCG.
15. JFH.
16. Grevsmuhl.
17. Leota.

Yes no one will agree with the selection of Will Smith but he carves up in NSW Cup has pace and create something from nothing. RCG needs to come off the bench for a change his stats have fallen away in recents times so a change might do him some good. Nothing against Latimore, good player, but he is on borrowed time with us so let's get Leota in there for an extended period and see whether he is up to it, I think he is.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Here I was thinking that with Soward and Hiku out, our defence would be watertight, given they were apparently the cause of the majority of our problems. Turns out, it's a little more complicated than that, isn't it?

SweetandSoward

Juniors
I think this season is a write-off

Gus made a 5 year plan and this is the 5th year.
But this year we released Taylor, Soward, Chicko, and Ivan Cleary.

We signed a few muppets and blooded a few young-uns.
Seems like we are still re-building.
I think because Gus you made the wrong decision of sacking Cleary.
If Cleary was still here we would still have the spine of Chicko, Soward, Walace, Moylan

ammatt

Juniors
The Bryce Cartwright in the six must surely be consigned to history, never to return. Tedesco will be the Blues fullback for SOO 3 and picking Moylan off the bench is simply a waste of a bench player so he will surely be available for us against the Sharks.

Just do it!!! Pick Moylan in the six for the next three to four weeks, before TMM is due to return to see how it works out. If it works great, if not bring TMM straight back into the side.

The new recruit Hardaker can play fullback, his best position, and we can rightfully see what he offers. ]

Agree 100%. This year is done and dusted. If we do make the 8 then we will only be there to make up the numbers and will be planning the end of season trip from the start of the finals

ashton

Juniors
Why did we sign Chris Grevsmuhl and release Elijah Taylor? At least Taylor can tackle......another poor decision from Gould.
I would like to see Cameron Ciraldo coaching us in the NRL.

Panther Pete

Juniors

I agree totally with this. I know guys will come out and say we are only blaming Griffin because we lost but even when we have won games it hasn't been convincing and we only seem to scrape over the line. This year there just doesn't seem to be the cohesion we had under Ivan, we now have so many players running across the field (Moylan and Cartwright to name a couple did it repeatedly last night) and then stopping to hand the ball to someone standing flat footed like its Under 8's. How much of this should be attributed to the coaches game plan and structures? I still think Gould made a massive mistake sacking a guy that 12 months earlier won Coach of the Year to replace him with someone from Queensland Cup.

martielang

Bench
Arghhhhh the good old it's only the coaches responsibility when we lose... Oh and Goulds.

As bad as we played, we bombed at least 5 tries and should of won the game comfortably. We have an extremely inexperienced squad, I'm willing to take a few more of those games/decisions/bombed tries this year for the greater good. We had more structure with Cleary? Sure. We also didn't make a line break all year and looked as threatening as the 2016 Knights.

I still like the direction our team is headed. Huge amount of upside to our game and squad.