What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd.2 v Eels

WestyLife

First Grade
He engages the markers and forces them to make a decision. He has a very good ability to split markers and open up space through the middle of the ruck. When that happens, Nathan or Dyl should “chase through” and it will create a line break.

The problem is, we haven’t been chasing through and it makes it look like Soni is just going out on his own and it appears disorganised.

We don’t have anyone else in the team that can open up a middle corridor like that, it’s the hardest thing to teach a dummy half.

In that case Edwards has to be better at identifying the opportunities. He can't sit on an edge waiting for a backline movement every play. Not that I'm criticising Edwards I love what he's become for the team through sheer force of will.

maple_69

Bench
So Edwards and Cleary, who have made international careers out of executing a gameplan with mind numbing consistency and hard work are to blame for just not being on the same page as Soni, a career reserve grader, and pushing up in support?

He’s a dud and one that disrupts our game more than any previous dud we’ve carried since Tyrone. He obviously has skill but physically he’s out of his depth and evidently communication wise he is not capable.

Girds89

Bench
He engages the markers and forces them to make a decision. He has a very good ability to split markers and open up space through the middle of the ruck. When that happens, Nathan or Dyl should “chase through” and it will create a line break.

The problem is, we haven’t been chasing through and it makes it look like Soni is just going out on his own and it appears disorganised.

We don’t have anyone else in the team that can open up a middle corridor like that, it’s the hardest thing to teach a dummy half.

Yep.. ive spoken about this the last 12 months.

The team makes no adjustment at all when soni comes on.

Im really not sure how nath cant adjust on the fly.. he plays with ball running 9s in his rep teams. Theyve had 2 pre seasons and time.. training every week.

The team should be able to adjust on the fly...

People so keen to blame soni but maybe the blokes around him need to adjust and we will see the best in this team and just maybe our attack will go to a level we havent had since kils and api left!

Off kenny, sommo and luke theres no doubt luke is the most creative and dangerous imo.. yet he has struggled cause it looks like and to an extent hes playing by himself out there.

Ivan should encourage soni to play what he sees and the props, yeo, nath and dyl to get around him and support.

Soni is the kind of bloke that if he has a few blokes running off him close to the line he will set up tries.. he has great vision and a great short kicking game to go with his running.

I still think he can be a good nrl player.. the team just needs to adapt.

Ivans had us playing the same style this whole time.. yes it works but with players always leaving due to the cap we have to adapt to new strengths and weaknesses within the squad.

WestyLife

First Grade
So Edwards and Cleary, who have made international careers out of executing a gameplan with mind numbing consistency and hard work are to blame for just not being on the same page as Soni, a career reserve grader, and pushing up in support?

He’s a dud and one that disrupts our game more than any previous dud we’ve carried since Tyrone. He obviously has skill but physically he’s out of his depth and evidently communication wise he is not capable.

You do make a good point but reading the play and seeing opportunities is bread and butter stuff for elite fullbacks. Walsh wouldn't miss it and he's relatively inexperienced.

Luke Bowden

First Grade

I was asked for my observations and that’s what I see. It’s painfully obvious what’s going on.

If Nathan and Dyl can’t adjust than Soni shouldn’t be picked and we should just stick with the one style of hooker. But to say he’s a Dud and hasn’t shown anything is just not the case.

Iamback

Coach
You do make a good point but reading the play and seeing opportunities is bread and butter stuff for elite fullbacks. Walsh wouldn't miss it and he's relatively inexperienced.

Yeah but we wanted a 1 to start sets well, You can't have both.

I'd be all for that style of FB if we offloaded but we don't so we'd be getting a fullback that makes half as many metres.

That hopefully is in support for a bench hooker to pass it too.

I'd rather keep the key guys doing their thing and fill the side around them to fill in holes

WestyLife

First Grade
I was asked for my observations and that’s what I see. It’s painfully obvious what’s going on.

If Nathan and Dyl can’t adjust than Soni shouldn’t be picked and we should just stick with the one style of hooker. But to say he’s a Dud and hasn’t shown anything is just not the case.

It's interesting to actually discuss the nuances of the game.

WestyLife

First Grade
Yeah but we wanted a 1 to start sets well, You can't have both.

I'd be all for that style of FB if we offloaded but we don't so we'd be getting a fullback that makes half as many metres.

That hopefully is in support for a bench hooker to pass it too.

I'd rather keep the key guys doing their thing and fill the side around them to fill in holes

Nothing says Edwards can't learn to to be a support runner for luke specifically. It's no different than running a set play in any other context. Luke would get limited minutes and Edwards could shift to a role shadowing him. Eventually you get the kikua effect of teams having to be on guard and opportunities opening elsewhere if done well.

Iamback

Coach
Nothing says Edwards can't learn to to be a support runner for luke specifically. It's no different than running a set play in any other context. Luke would get limited minutes and Edwards could shift to a role shadowing him. Eventually you get the kikua effect of teams having to be on guard and opportunities opening elsewhere if done well.

His lack of speed, I'd put down as a reason. Our side is a whole is above average speed not great.

Hooker is going to be 5-10m in front of a fullback for starters, If the hooker is faster then fullback ( which is the case here)

Then the fullback is going to be that split second behind the play, Which is where we find ourselves after most half breaks

betcats

Referee
I think what hampers dyls support play sometimes is he is often standing at second receiver on the right side which is by design so no fault of his, it’s just hard to support a break through the middle or on the left when you’re out on the right. It’s a bit of hole in our game I find even last week Yeo and Taylan hit open field a couple times and support was slow to get there.

Girds89

Bench
Romey should be the bloke pushing up and running off soni.

Hes got decent speed and is a livewire and hes not integral to the structure.

If soni could take a dart against tired forward and get them scrambling with luai backing up then i like the chances of aline break there.

Plus luai in open field leaves you with a bloke thats probs going to take the best option other than cleary.

Souths do it well when theyre at their best cody really follows cookie around when the game opens up

Iamback

Coach

If soni could take a dart against tired forward and get them scrambling with luai backing up then i like the chances of aline break there.

Plus luai in open field leaves you with a bloke thats probs going to take the best option other than cleary.

Souths do it well when theyre at their best cody really follows cookie around when the game opens up

That is a better shout than Edwards, Hopefully with the new roaming halves we see it more

Luke Bowden

First Grade

It really doesn’t matter who does it, as long as some one pushes through. Cam Murray does it very well.

The only reason I mentioned Nathan and Dyl is because last week I saw Soni split the markers and those two were in the best position to push in and they just didn’t.

WestyLife

First Grade
That is a better shout than Edwards, Hopefully with the new roaming halves we see it more

I think the idea of pushing through in support in general has left the team a little. Edwards was best in the comp at it at least one season. Anyone can. Also Luke needs the hooker version of controlled aggression for props if that makes sense.

Latest posts