What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd.5 v SeaEagles

age.s

First Grade
I reviewed my direct posts about Dylan Edwards in 2019 and as you rightly Point out he was dropped due to form and lack of confidence early that season.

He forced his way back into the NRL side off the back of strong NSW Cup and once back in the side he performances improved, have continued to improve to a level where he is at currently.

Your partly right in so much as I didn’t find anyone suggesting he was likely to be a future immortal, but there were a few, myself included who saw the makings of a very, very good player.

You yourself gave him a huge wrap, MOM, for one of his outstanding games towards the latter part of that season.
I liked Dyl from his first game. Played on the wing and came from nowhere to defuse a grubber that looked a try for all money. He didn't look like much physically but you could see his effort and commitment. My first assessment was he could be a decent first grader.

In early 2019 I thought I was wrong though. He wasn't just poor, he was beyond terrible. I remember one game on a wet night against Melbourne and I think he dropped more kicks than he caught. He looked completely shot as a player and we frankly stood by him longer than we should have. All I'm saying is at that point the idea that this kid would become one of our greatest players ever was laughable. It just was, no matter how much anyone tries to spin up super fandom for him. Imagining that then would have been pure delusion.

That said, he proved every right thinking footy fan wrong. He got dropped, worked hard, got some confidence back in cup, finished 2019 very strongly and the rest is history.

age.s

First Grade
A call like that sets the game up. Players moral drops, they would have felt cheated on like we did, I was at the Club and we couldn't believe it.
It does, but I'm over it at this point. The officiating is so poor we'll probably get one back later in the year.

They should rename it to National Rugby Entertainment.

Kilkenny

Coach
Grubby Penrith lucky it wasn’t 20 penalties.
The scoreline in the end shouldn’t mask the fact the on field referee made a horrendous game changing decision when the game was in the balance. It was a knock on, we get possession 10 metres out and if we score we go in in front. A statistics show if we lead at half time we generally win. More than generally 75 of our last 76. We have to suck it up and I think we have. Doesn’t make it right. It was an appalling decision, firstly from the on field ref and we’ll Grant Atkinson who had the opportunity to correct it comes up short. Just appalling.

Kilkenny

Coach
Reminds me of the Tigers game last year. One here and there in the regular season is probably good overall to keep them humble.
I think the major difference was we were in the contest, we had plenty of opportunities to score last year but for one reason or another just didn’t ice our opportunities in appalling conditions.

Last night, huge game turning moment and even allowing for Dylan’s length of the field try the gods were against us. We contributed to our own downfall for sure and the lop sided 11-3 penalty count ensured there was only going to be one outcome.

Kilkenny

Coach
I actually think the loss of Zac Hosking is a bigger loss than many anticipated.

Many rather disingenuously called him ‘plod’ when he was in fact very, very good for us in his 22 games.

I understand the reasons we allowed him to leave, to our credit, but we could do with him right now.

Iamback

Coach
I think the major difference was we were in the contest, we had plenty of opportunities to score last year but for one reason or another just didn’t ice our opportunities in appalling conditions.

Last night, huge game turning moment and even allowing for Dylan’s length of the field try the gods were against us. We contributed to our own downfall for sure and the lop sided 11-3 penalty count ensured there was only going to be one outcome.

We still had chances.

As I said before up 6-0. Next set we are attacking and get a 6 again and try a trick play on the 1st.

To'o got close but lost it
Yeo makes a break, finds Tago who doesn't pass to Laurie unmarked.

So we had chances and dispite a couple of lucky tries to them and how bad we played. She had chances to win

Kilkenny

Coach
I actually think the loss of Zac Hosking is a bigger loss than many anticipated.

Many rather disingenuously called him ‘plod’ when he was in fact very, very good for us in his 22 games.

I understand the reasons we allowed him to leave, to our credit, but we could do with him right now.
I should have added while Liam Martin looked good with the big plays on occasion, Zac Hosking just did his job, did it very well, often over 80 minutes, with no mistakes and no missed tackles. We’re missing Zac, much more than some predicted.

maple_69

Bench
A lot of reasons it could have panned out differently but ultimately we looked off our game. The intensity, concentration and attention to detail were not there.

48 errors, penalties and 6 against conceded in our last two games is not acceptable regardless of how rubbish the refereeing is. They need to tighten up and get back to their game.

MrBlack

Juniors
A really tough draw to open the season. I blame PVL who skewed the draw so that all the good teams played each other at the start of the year and all the weak teams had a chance for a good start (ie cowboys, dolphins, tigers, dogs). The better teams will now come into their own from here

We are 3 from 5 and no injuries (after the bye round) which is par with the other strong teams.

We will be better with a week off and a softer draw.

MugaB

Coach
A really tough draw to open the season. I blame PVL who skewed the draw so that all the good teams played each other at the start of the year and all the weak teams had a chance for a good start (ie cowboys, dolphins, tigers, dogs). The better teams will now come into their own from here

We are 3 from 5 and no injuries (after the bye round) which is par with the other strong teams.

We will be better with a week off and a softer draw.
Yeah we did have a bucket load of tough/bogey teams to start the season