What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd11: Parra v Manly GAME DAY THREAD at BankWest 23/5/21

IFR33K

Coach
It shits me that Blake is on the nose compared to Nuikore. But understandable.

Blake should be 10 times the player but is too inconsistent. I thought he might have improved after he got rid of the afro, but he is still a dumb merkin.

We need some strike in the centres. Opa and Nuikore are our best options but they are both boring safe merkins.

We’re a grinding type of team. We aren’t flashy, nor are we flamboyant. We can grind out a win, with muscle and have been doing so all year. We frustrate teams with our defense, and are a defensive oriented team. We don’t have a Munster, or papenhauzen (spelling?) We must play to our strengths, and if that means Marata is our centre than so be it. Waqa goes against the grain of what BA is trying to achieve. BA needs to make a call, and failing to do so could mean the end of him as head coach at the eels. Waqa isn’t the answer.

JokerEel

Coach
I defended Blake last year. But after yesterday you can’t defend that. His hopeless reads were compounded by him trying to hard. I think he missed 3 or 4 in the same play.

He has had long enough to show improvement but he has actually gone backwards..

hindy111

Post Whore
Our team has improved massively with those signings. One loss and the sky falls in ffs

You peanut. RCG yes. But imagine having close to 1 million to spend and not having Fergo and Blake. We could have perhaps a Zac Lomax and Cotric in the side. We would of improved even more.
I'm a business men. And when someone is prepared to give something away and also throw in some money it rings bells to me. It makes me wonder why.
Ferguson was brilliant in year 1. Had he played like that for 2yrs thats fine. But we got 1 good one for 2 poor ones. Not good business. And I am basing his form in relation to cost. See that's business. I am a business man.
If I paid 200k for a machine and it made me 250k that's good business. But paying 500k for a machine that made me 300k I see as bad business.
So perhaps he is still playing at a first grade level but not anywhere near the level he should considering cost.
In business you'd say he was a tax loss

hindy111

Post Whore
Wow, one loss and you get out on the Penrith side of the bed and spend all day finding ways to rip into your #1 team.

Not really.I am about fixing things. Sometimes when I fix something it takes a while. But you try a few different methods and hope it works. Sometimes you just don't have the right parts and no matter what you tried your unable to fix it. So you then buy new parts. But when they aren't available it's worth trying a few parts just to see if can repair what's broken.
I liked the loss. Firstly I predicted it. Most teams with good play makers and speed will give us a lesson. Atleast it is rnd 10 and BA can learn from it.

TheParraboy

Staff member
You peanut. RCG yes. But imagine having close to 1 million to spend and not having Fergo and Blake. We could have perhaps a Zac Lomax and Cotric in the side. We would of improved even more.
I'm a business men. And when someone is prepared to give something away and also throw in some money it rings bells to me. It makes me wonder why.
Ferguson was brilliant in year 1. Had he played like that for 2yrs thats fine. But we got 1 good one for 2 poor ones. Not good business. And I am basing his form in relation to cost. See that's business. I am a business man.
If I paid 200k for a machine and it made me 250k that's good business. But paying 500k for a machine that made me 300k I see as bad business.
So perhaps he is still playing at a first grade level but not anywhere near the level he should considering cost.

Dont think Fergo has had two bad years, when this season is not even half way over and before the Manly game, talk of we now may want to keep him for next year as his form warranted it. He does the tough carries well, and has speed, which as a side we havent fully utilised in attack as well as we could have.

After the 18 spoon we needed a power winger and we got him. We also needed big power forwards. I believe we chased hard for Lodge and George Burgess, dodged bullets there

Last year Fergo had multiple brain snaps back end of the year, for an experience player that is my big issue with him and not good enough

Waqa demise after 2019 is a huge concern

yy_cheng

Coach
Dont think Fergo has had two bad years, when this season is not even half way over and before the Manly game, talk of we now may want to keep him for next year as his form warranted it. He does the tough carries well, and has speed, which as a side we havent fully utilised in attack as well as we could have.

After the 18 spoon we needed a power winger and we got him. We also needed big power forwards. I believe we chased hard for Lodge and George Burgess, dodged bullets there

Last year Fergo had multiple brain snaps back end of the year, for an experience player that is my big issue with him and not good enough

Yep. We needed to buy these players because back then we were crap

Bandwagon

Staff member
Our power game has foundations in the start Fergo, and to a lesser extent Sivo, gives us coming out of our own end, these are f**king tough meters and he does a superb job of it. This gives our big boppers a rest and is a good part of the reason they can play long minutes.

Again it's easy to underestimate the importance of these kind of tough plays when we see the flash stuff wingers on the end of shifts do, and take into account some of the errors Fergo has in his game. Though it seems the criticism here just dismisses it completely.

Are there "better" wingers out there, yeah, of course. But these guys are doing their job, and for the most art doing it well.

hindy111

Post Whore

He may have speed after he gets going. His footwork shot and so is his acceleration. And that's why he doesn't make line breaks as he was in 2019. He is cooked.
Whenever I see an opposition line break one thing I never see is either of our wingers flying down field to catch them. Anyone remember Luke Burt and Grothe? Nobody was scoring 70mtr plus tries against us
Our cover defense comes from Mahoney,RCG and N.Brown a lot of the time. It's very embarrassing. Unless BA is coaching them not to chase which I highly doubt. Part of a wingers job is to be alert for any line break and then chase.
Opposition's no we are slow and if get away it's a length of field try so they go for it far more often. If the result was only a 30mtr break before being caught the reward isn't as great considering the risk of attacking and pushing the ball. These are reasons Waqa is also getting exposed. He is facing far more decisions then normal. And as poor as his defense was the gaps where already there and so was the overlaps.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
Our power game has foundations in the start Fergo, and to a lesser extent Sivo, gives us coming out of our own end, these are f**king tough meters and he does a superb job of it. This gives our big boppers a rest and is a good part of the reason they can play long minutes.

Again it's easy to underestimate the importance of these kind of tough plays when we see the flash stuff wingers on the end of shifts do, and take into account some of the errors Fergo has in his game. Though it seems the criticism here just dismisses it completely.

Are there "better" wingers out there, yeah, of course. But these guys are doing their job, and for the most art doing it well.

Read above. Our backline is slow,lacks skill and boring. If we just want tough carries then yes they can do this. But with a sluggish fullback who lacks acceleration I don't like the idea of two wingers the same along with Opacic who is solid but again slow and lacks a turn of foot.
I feel like people are forgetting the importance of a few fast backs in defense and scrambling

Bandwagon

Staff member
Read above. Our backline is slow,lacks skill and boring. If we just want tough carries then yes they can do this. But with a sluggish fullback who lacks acceleration I don't like the idea of two wingers the same along with Opacic who is solid but again slow and lacks a turn of foot.
I feel like people are forgetting the importance of a few fast backs in defense and scrambling

Read above, our wingers are strong and tough, and complement the power game we play. It would be nice to have more speed, but I wouldn't want it at the expense of what these guys do bring.

Again it's easy to be picking apart the squad after a loss, but we're 9 and 2, not 2 and 9, and the score on the board tells us we're going pretty good. We aint at the Storm or Panthers level with our game, but did anyone expect we would be. And to be fair, a bit more speed aint gonna fix that. We need to be better across the park.

We had a poor game, as we did against the Dragons, and we'll probably have a few more this season, it happens, and I won't be slitting my wrists when those happen either.

hindy111

Post Whore
Read above, our wingers are strong and tough, and complement the power game we play. It would be nice to have more speed, but I wouldn't want it at the expense of what these guys do bring.

Again it's easy to be picking apart the squad after a loss, but we're 9 and 2, not 2 and 9, and the score on the board tells us we're going pretty good. We aint at the Storm or Panthers level with our game, but did anyone expect we would be. And to be fair, a bit more speed aint gonna fix that. We need to be better across the park.

We had a poor game, as we did against the Dragons, and we'll probably have a few more this season, it happens, and I won't be slitting my wrists when those happen either.

We need to prepare for finals. I'd rather develop a high risk game when we meet those two come September and go out all guns blazing them whimper out like a dog with tail between its legs.

yy_cheng

Coach
We need to prepare for finals. I'd rather develop a high risk game when we meet those two come September and go out all guns blazing them whimper out like a dog with tail between its legs.
I Prefer we get our defence and power game to add close to 100% and then the final 8 games, bring in the offloads

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Our win rate with Ferguson has gone up in each of his three years. The important thing is getting value across the whole team, and we clearly are. Individually, Ferguson is just as good as when he started with us. His average metres is the same. His tries and linebreaks are down because we hardly attack the right side this year and last.

Last edited:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

well those slow backs have us as the 3rd best attacking and defensive side....along with 5 straight 13 plus point wins....

Yep the the manly game exposed some issues...no patience in attack, Blake’s poor defence, but we didn’t lose because we need lacked speed....

IFR33K

Coach
I'm not criticising him - but he struggled with the defensive workload that was sent his way.

He's only 18 - I can cut him some slack.

He handled it way better than waqa tbh. I know they’re different positions but they defended on the same edge. Our entire right edge was the target and waqa was our weakest link. That says something when an 18 yo held his own. Also says something when a forward does a better job than you there too. If BA is serious
About our chances this season, he’s to make the call. Waqa has been a 3/10 this year. Statistically the worst defensive player in the game. Has he offered anything in attack in two years?

Latest posts