What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd13 2024: 750pm Eels v Sharks GAME DAY THREAD @ Commbank Stadium May 30th

84 Baby

Referee
Lussick regressed and got hooked. Fair play to Hands, but I think you guys need to get your head out of the clouds. He was able to play well because he had time and space. Is he a great or even good NRL hooker ? No and neither is the other guy.

View attachment 88894

Good on Brendan, he had a good game last night, however he played against a team who produced poor line speed and were dominated by our forwards. Our pack ran 400m more than theirs, post contact was an extra 100m as well. As I have said many times, it’s all about consistency and not to crack when he is in traffic and the markers put real pressure on him. Happy to be proven wrong, he now has ample opportunity to be a good NRL hooker. He's off contract in November, do we want to sign him as our guy on a 3 year deal or look for a tougher crafty toiler ?

He is certainly a better solution to what Lussick has been dishing up, but let’s face it, that’s not hard.

Some perspective however. He is not at age 25, in the same league as the top dozen (or more hookers) in the NRL. But he’s all we have right now, so we make do. No, MA should not be picked in NRL. He’s on a dev contract next year, I say leave it at that.

Hands aside, the difference maker was Moses and anyone who peddled “no excuses” in the past 6 or 8 has their eyes painted on.

Everyone else can see it.

The problem I have with the whole “we were missing Moses & Gutho” is that it’s a crutch. We may as well forfeit if either are out if we play the way we did in that period.
There was also the facts we were playing Munster/Hughes-less Scum and Walkerless Souths and yet they both still pumped us. For a long time (and others call it a soft underbelly) but our response to when plan A isn’t working, has been to try it again.
That said Hynesless Sharks appear in the same boat. Undoubtedly, good players make a team better, but missing them shouldn’t make a teammate worse.

Gronk

Staff member
The problem I have with the whole “we were missing Moses & Gutho” is that it’s a crutch. We may as well forfeit if either are out if we play the way we did in that period.
There was also the facts we were playing Munster/Hughes-less Scum and Walkerless Souths and yet they both still pumped us. For a long time (and others call it a soft underbelly) but our response to when plan A isn’t working, has been to try it again.
That said Hynesless Sharks appear in the same boat. Undoubtedly, good players make a team better, but missing them shouldn’t make a teammate worse.
IIRC Manly have a shit record without Turbo too.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Of course he has. His game from March to now is chalk and cheese, slowly eroding away. I wasn't the only one to see how well he was playing.

I don’t think he has regressed, he has just been playing behind a beaten pack. Why were they beaten? Because we weren’t controlling the ball.

Hands service was the reason our forwards got a roll on for the first time in months.
This is true, but escapes people who spot the obvious differences (Moses and Gutho back) and infer "inspiration" as to why our forwards were able to get the momentum.

Ladies and gentleman, that was largely down to the Brendan Hands difference over 80mins, with no complicated Talagi backup plan needed. The lad - and Barrett - should take a big bow... and prepare to do it all again next weekend.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I tell you what the quality of the excuses for Bea Arthur has regressed.
The excuses for BA are getting as stale as what the tripe we were producing under him.

We looked a team refreshed last night with a spring in there step. Last week was BA's funeral i think the team were still processing the shock he was gone.

As much as some of the players loved Brad I reckon the players may be surprised how refreshing it will be to have a new voice with a different positive & warm fuzzy outlook. I think Barrett will get us playing some pretty attacking footy it will be up to the players weather or not we can or want to defend on how we go for the rest of the year.

Gazzamatta

Coach
The excuses for BA are getting as stale as what the tripe we were producing under him.

We looked a team refreshed last night with a spring in there step. Last week was BA's funeral i think the team were still processing the shock he was gone.

As much as some of the players loved Brad I reckon the players may be surprised how refreshing it will be to have a new voice with a different positive & warm fuzzy outlook. I think Barrett will get us playing some pretty attacking footy it will be up to the players weather or not we can or want to defend on how we go for the rest of the year.
Great start. Early days yet but its exciting for sure.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Most pleasing thing about Gutho last night there was no strapping on his knee.

And he was moving around pretty freely and didn't seem hindered like he did in the leadup to the bye when he had the operation.

Hopefully the clean up has fixed up the issue.

I didn't expect that impact so early from Guth, I thought he'd have strapping and be limping around

he looked like a brand new Gutho

strider

Post Whore
Most pleasing thing about Gutho last night there was no strapping on his knee.

And he was moving around pretty freely and didn't seem hindered like he did in the leadup to the bye when he had the operation.

Hopefully the clean up has fixed up the issue.
I think thats the problem ... i think he has bad knees and its just a matter of time til they are shit again.

I think he is still one of the top handful of fullbacks overall in the NRL .... its just whether his knees hold up.

The no strapping AND having such a good game is an enormous confudence thing though. No player comes back from injury without strapping.

strider

Post Whore
Of course he has. His game from March to now is chalk and cheese, slowly eroding away. I wasn't the only one to see how well he was playing.

But how? .... what parts of his game actually regressed?

Arm wave, arm wave, arm wave, people think he had a good game once didnt answer the question.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Lussick regressed and got hooked. Fair play to Hands, but I think you guys need to get your head out of the clouds. He was able to play well because he had time and space. Is he a great or even good NRL hooker ? No and neither is the other guy.

View attachment 88894

Good on Brendan, he had a good game last night, however he played against a team who produced poor line speed and were dominated by our forwards. Our pack ran 400m more than theirs, post contact was an extra 100m as well. As I have said many times, it’s all about consistency and not to crack when he is in traffic and the markers put real pressure on him. Happy to be proven wrong, he now has ample opportunity to be a good NRL hooker. He's off contract in November, do we want to sign him as our guy on a 3 year deal or look for a tougher crafty toiler ?

He is certainly a better solution to what Lussick has been dishing up, but let’s face it, that’s not hard.

Some perspective however. He is not at age 25, in the same league as the top dozen (or more hookers) in the NRL. But he’s all we have right now, so we make do. No, MA should not be picked in NRL. He’s on a dev contract next year, I say leave it at that.

Hands aside, the difference maker was Moses and anyone who peddled “no excuses” in the past 6 or 8 has their eyes painted on.

Everyone else can see it.

lol. Speechless. Everyone else can see that Hands is a decent hooker and immensely superior to Lussick (and always has been). But no, you’re right and everyone else is wrong.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Here’s a question, do we win last night with Stumpy Lussick playing instead of Hands???

IMO we do not, Hands service was the reason our forwards got a roll on for the first time in months.
Hands is 6 wins 3 losses when the starting number 9.

Lussick is 9 wins 13 losses.

Settles the debate there and then that we play better under Hands then we do with Lussick.

hindy111

Post Whore
Hands is 6 wins 3 losses when the starting number 9.

Lussick is 9 wins 13 losses.

Settles the debate there and then that we play better under Hands then we do with Lussick.

Why do people think Barrett dropped Lussick straight away? He felt Hands was a better player. It isn't like Hands form in NSW CUP was to good to hold out as he had been shafted to 5/8 and lock

yy_cheng

Coach

The dressing room didn't look like they missed bea

King-Gutho94

Coach
I didn't expect that impact so early from Guth, I thought he'd have strapping and be limping around

he looked like a brand new Gutho
He have a looked a brand new Gutho

But he still made sure he was still pestering Klein all game like all great captains do.