What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd16: Parra v Souths GAME DAY thread (27/8/20)

84 Baby

Referee
7 years and nothing’s changed. Crumbles when it matters.
It doesn’t even matter. It’s a midseason game where realistically we SHOULD be locked into 3rd or 4th. But there has to be a standard set for a minimum performance. I’d have copped the shit first half vs Manly as the minimum. It was a couple of players being lazy and Manly targeted them, they played better in second half. But last night it was f**ken everyone. There’s no need to drop anyone, last night should be enough of an embarrassment for them to check themselves

IFR33K

Coach
It doesn’t even matter. It’s a midseason game where realistically we SHOULD be locked into 3rd or 4th. But there has to be a standard set for a minimum performance. I’d have copped the shit first half vs Manly as the minimum. It was a couple of players being lazy and Manly targeted them, they played better in second half. But last night it was f**ken everyone. There’s no need to drop anyone, last night should be enough of an embarrassment for them to check themselves

I agree last night should be a reality check.

so should of st George a few weeks ago. Plus manly. And the Melbourne semi. And the magic round....

lingard

Coach
I know.

It isn't rational.

But I can't help it - watching the Eels is one of the things in life that I most enjoy doing (as demonstrated by my 50,000 post count on a footy forum), and watching us be also-rans every year really stings.

And I know it isn't "us", as we don't actually play, but still...

Being a footy fan can be a huge part of our lives. Things have changed over the years, certainly, but there was a time - when Rugby League was more tribal - where the fortunes of the local footy team actually affected the economy and prosperity of the local area. It's been documented that during the 30's, 40's, 50's, business was better in areas of Sydney where the local team one the premiership, for instance. And there's evidence to suggest that the psychological well-being of the people in those areas improved as well. There are family traditions, too. My father followed Parramatta. My brothers and I used to go to Cumberland Oval with him to watch the 'mighty' Parramatta win or lose. It was a focal point for us all. For the whole family - because even my mum joined in the act, though she never went to games. I can remember the four of us sitting around the T.V. when Parramatta beat Newtown in the '81 grand final, for instance. our family was pretty dysfunctional at times - but not that day. We came together as a unit that day. And lots of other Parramatta footy days. And when relationships became strained at times, there was always 'the football' to talk about. It kind of helped bind us together and it was a thread that ran through our lives down the years. They are all dead now, and so I follow the team as much in their memory as anything else. In a way, it keeps the family alive for me. I'm sure many people have similar stories.
People who say, "It's just a game" are either bullshitting or they are truly missing out on some of the significance and joy of following a team.
I totally get the idea of being very emotionally involved in the team's trials and tribulations even though 'we don't actually play'. That's not the point.
And I think it harkens back to the days long ago when battles were fought on big grassy fields and the local townspeople would sit on the 'sidelines' and watch. Results of those battles really did have a direct effect on the lives of the 'spectators'. And although that situation has been very much diluted in modern times, I think there are still remnants of that spirit hanging around.
Also, I agree, Eelementary: Parramatta are shot this year. We won't make the four now, and will lose our first final game and be out the backdoor. I think it's time for a change of coach. I respect brad Arthur for many things, but he's taken Parramatta as far as he can take them. We've done the 'we have to stick with a coach for the sake of stability because of our history of sacking coaches' thing. We proved our point. We need a change now.

lingard

Coach

Waqa Blake needs to be dropped.

84 Baby

Referee

so should of st George a few weeks ago. Plus manly. And the Melbourne semi. And the magic round....
I think we can lump bad games per season. If we’re still reeling from those 2 games last year (I don’t think we are which is at least good news) then no results this year would matter.
If Panfas didn’t already have a massive target for our game in a couple of weeks, they’ll be looking to essentially put the final nail in that game

Chipmunk

Coach
I’ve noticed no bagging of Ole Gus????

I think people just bag Gus because all they do is wear blue and gold glasses, but I can't say I've ever disagreed with his opinion on our premiership credentials. This team has played quite well at times throughout the year, but for mine they only reason they can ever be a contender is if a number of teams in the comp have significant injuries/suspensions come Finals. In reality, that was the case two months ago, two days ago, two hours ago and will still be the case in two months time.

84 Baby

Referee
Waqa Blake needs to be dropped.
Why? If a player needs dropping to improve his performance, he’s not a first grader. He needs to work on his shithouse tackling technique is what he needs. Bend your f**ken waist!

84 Baby

Referee
I think people just bag Gus because all they do is wear blue and gold glasses, but I can't say I've ever disagreed with his opinion on our premiership credentials. This team has played quite well at times throughout the year, but for mine they only reason they can ever be a contender is if a number of teams in the comp have significant injuries/suspensions come Finals. In reality, that was the case two months ago, two days ago, two hours ago and will still be the case in two months time.
I don’t necessarily disagree with his conclusions but his reasoning, like many on here, is flawed and egotistical. You don’t fix the conclusion problem by fixing the incorrect reasoning problems.

Chipmunk

Coach
I don’t necessarily disagree with his conclusions but his reasoning, like many on here, is flawed and egotistical. You don’t fix the conclusion problem by fixing the incorrect reasoning problems.

The crux of his reasoning is around mental weakness is it not?

Eelementary

Post Whore

And the Sharks game this year - only won that on goal-kicking.

And the Knights game - had some VERY lucky calls go our way.

Unfortunately, winning tends to hide flaws.

eel01s

Bench
Terrible performance last night.

The measure of this team and coaching staff will be how they respond for the rest of the season. No club with a winning culture puts up with that type of performance.

Eelementary

Post Whore

In my honest opinion, if we play at our absolute best, we can beat anyone.

But this team is incapable of playing at their best at any given time.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
That's true, sometimes we have more than one of them

This year though it has looked like our defence has had the resolve to not let that happen, and that was pretty pleasing, because regardless of if your attack is clunky, defence will win you games way more often than not

Last night put paid to that, I thought we were over shitting the bed, all growed up like big boys, now I reckon Arthurs better put the mattress protector back on and bulk buy himself some nappy san.
...and get John Harker in as assistant coach.

33F4A9D6-DAC2-4182-B872-CF91393720B7.jpeg

lingard

Coach
Waqa Blake needs to be dropped but I'm just not sure who we put there. Taka I guess.

Further on Waqa Blake, someone needs to show him the interview with Roger Tuivasa-Sheck earlier this season on The Fan. They showed RTS a bunch of photos from throughout his career and asked him if he remembered each game they were taken in. They showed one from his schoolboy days where he was mid-air running the ball back in to the defensive line. And he said, i"f my Dad saw that he would have got stuck in to me for leaving my feet" - his old man's theory was that if you do that skip at the defensive line you lose momentum and give the defence a better chance to react... Waqa Blake is still doing that stupid skip in the air despite the fact that it has fooled nobody his whole career. I even saw Matterson trying it last night...

When I was in high school I occasionally did that, and my coach pulled me up on it for the same reason. And that was over forty five years ago! Surely our coaching staff could have a word with him?

lingard

Coach
In my honest opinion, if we play at our absolute best, we can beat anyone.

But this team is incapable of playing at their best at any given time.

No, mate. Sorry. Reality. At our 'best' we couldn't beat a full strength Melbourne, Roosters, Penrith, or Canberra for starters. If we played Souths again 'at our best' I doubt we'd beat them. besides we haven't played at our 'best' for over a month or more.

Eelementary

Post Whore
No, mate. Sorry. Reality. At our 'best' we couldn't beat a full strength Melbourne, Roosters, Penrith, or Canberra for starters. If we played Souths again 'at our best' I doubt we'd beat them. besides we haven't played at our 'best' for over a month or more.

I honestly saw a different team at the start of the year - patient, composed, sticking to game plans, ruthless in defence.

I consider that team to be our best, and at the very least, that team could push Penrith, Melbourne, and the Roosters.

But over the last 2 months, this team has regressed so quickly, that it's quite startling.

Avenger

Immortal
I honestly saw a different team at the start of the year - patient, composed, sticking to game plans, ruthless in defence.

I consider that team to be our best, and at the very least, that team could push Penrith, Melbourne, and the Roosters.

But over the last 2 months, this team has regressed so quickly, that it's quite startling.
Him having no answers is a concern. He admitted as much in his presser.