What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd26 Eels v Dragons GAME DAY THREAD @ Commbank Stadium Aug 31st

Chipmunk

Coach
We won with a lot of players out against a side playing for finals.
Yeah it was a dissapointing end but we see that the side still has something. Inject Lomax,Moses,Matto,Hopgood,Jnr,Simmonson,Guymer and its not to bad
Add in Gutho too. He wasn't part of the last 11 minutes and 5 tries.

Well looking at the replays of those Dragons tries in the last 10-15mins of the game, I think we've at least worked out (for Jason Ryles) that Dylan Brown isn't a fullback, and we need Brown's defence in the front line.

Does he need to be fullback or just in the field?
Good question.

At the moment it looks like Gutherson needs to be fullback, until we have someone half decent at it who can take over that role...

Not sure if Iongi is ready for it yet for 80mins without Gutherson somewhere on the field as well? Not sure if Lomax would (or be encouraged to) give it a go?

eels_fan

First Grade
Not really.....maybe the opposite, he saw what the side can do, and what needs to be fixed...earlier to fix a crap 10-15 min period in performance and a good 65-70 mins....rather then 70 mins of crap...
The dragons were non-existent for 68mins, when they actually tried they scored 5 tries in 10mins.

The real eels were the team playing in the final 10 mins

Chipmunk

Coach
Good question.

At the moment it looks like Gutherson needs to be fullback, until we have someone half decent at it who can take over that role...

Not sure if Iongi is ready for it yet for 80mins without Gutherson somewhere on the field as well? Not sure if Lomax would (or be encouraged to) give it a go?
I think Lomax needs to play right wing for mine.

Hopefully structures and team systems are introduced. I'm sick of the 11 years of Group 7 / Cairns local comp from 20 years ago level tactics.

Gronk

Staff member
Pretty clear that they clocked off, and yes, it shouldn't have happened. But I wouldn't be too stressed about it. As ABC Grandstand all said, scoring all those tries in 9 minutes means nothing when the other team are 40+ and clock watching. They gave their 3,2,1 to Blaize, Dylan and Moretti and reiterated that STG deserve zip.

Eelogical

Referee
Add in Gutho too. He wasn't part of the last 11 minutes and 5 tries.
That is a major red flag. To concede that many points with the slowest fullback in the comp off the field is quite alarming. I don't care how many players we have out injured, we've been in this situation too many times. They have Parra jerseys on and shouldn't fall into a power outage mode once Gutho goes off the field. Piss a lead away when we turn off. Why the hell should they turn off at all?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Does he need to be fullback or just in the field?
Something you don't see, is the talk from a fullback. It's their role to constantly guide the defensive line, tell players which way to go. Count numbers etc...

You sometimes hear coaches mention it, how good their FB talks and how a rookie doesn't do it very well. I assume Drown/Blaize, are probably extremely poor in that area, obviously as they have never played there.

Longi, has played fullback for several years, so will be a big step up in that area over Drown/Blaize.

So Gutho not on the field may not be as bad with Longi....

Chipmunk

Coach
That is a major red flag. To concede that many points with the slowest fullback in the comp off the field is quite alarming. I don't care how many players we have out injured, we've been in this situation too many times. They have Parra jerseys on and shouldn't fall into a power outage mode once Gutho goes off the field. Piss a lead away when we turn off. Why the hell should they turn off at all?
You'll get no argument from me, but as I said earlier, it is just another symptom of a team who has relied solely on the sum of the brilliance of individuals.

We need NRL level structures and team systems...hopefully Ryles knows this.

Delboy

First Grade
The last 15 minutes consisted of some really questionable refereeing decisions, a breakdown of defensive structures when Gutho was taken off, the Dragqueens attacked agst our weakness, speed . That needs to Be a priority in recruitment as it’s been so obvious this season.