What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd26: EELS v Panthers GAME DAY THREAD @ BlueBet Stadium 24/8/23

Stagger eel

Staff member
Remember in 2003 when we needed to Penrith in the last round by about 40 odd points and we got to 16-0 in the first 10 minutes and Wags got to the last defender and had to pass to Dykes which would of made it 22-0 then decided to go himself...

crazy times..

lucablight

First Grade
Remember in 2003 when we needed to Penrith in the last round by about 40 odd points and we got to 16-0 in the first 10 minutes and Wags got to the last defender and had to pass to Dykes which would of made it 22-0 then decided to go himself...

crazy times..
That was a mediocre team so we should probably be grateful for them not wasting our time any further. 2005 however…..

hindy111

Post Whore
The most dissapointing thing for me is all 3 grade are looking likely to miss finals. Not sure the last time we've done that? Anyone know?

Gronk

Staff member
If they beat Penrith by 100 just need Canberra/Cronulla/Souths/Knights to lose all remaining games and also Cowboys and Roosters to lose 1
If there really is a God, there could be a mass ACL event this weekend.

Let us pray.

1692852546753.png

hindy111

Post Whore
That was a mediocre team so we should probably be grateful for them not wasting our time any further. 2005 however…..

We should of won't the grand final in
2001, 2005 and had the Storm not been rorting the cap 2009.
We also had a chance in the late 90s. I honestly think we should of or could of have 4 titles. 2 atleast.

I don't think we where any real chance last season. It was fun but the Panthers where another level. A few late try flattered us but 40-0 was a true reflection of that game. They switched off.
I'd go as far as saying we had a better chance in 2017 with that side then last year. And we just didn't get the bounce of ball against the Storm in the first final. That crushed our spirits.

hindy111

Post Whore
How come you didn't say 5 grades ? :eek:

Because they are seperate competitions. They run and finish at different times. They also never counted towards the club championship.
I think we have some promising kids in Sg Ball and HM coming thru. But we won't see much of them untill 2025 and honestly it will take them a few years at NRL level before they become consistent and make an impact so 2027 is more like when these kids will be key players in our NRL side.

lucablight

First Grade
We also had a chance in the late 90s. I honestly think we should of or could of have 4 titles. 2 atleast.

I don't think we where any real chance last season. It was fun but the Panthers where another level. A few late try flattered us but 40-0 was a true reflection of that game. They switched off.
I'd go as far as saying we had a better chance in 2017 with that side then last year. And we just didn't get the bounce of ball against the Storm in the first final. That crushed our spirits.
It’s a shame that 2019-2021 Nathan Brown and 2019-2020 Michael Jennings and 2019 Blake Ferguson all fell off a cliff so hard. If we had Jennings and Ferguson in 2021 and Mahoney didn’t get injured we might have been able to go all the way. Our defence in the backs has never been the same since we lost Jennings and Ferguson was legit the best winger in the game in 2019. We never replaced his powerful carries from the back.

King-Gutho94

Coach

If Gutho didn't do his ACL in 2017 we at least make a prelim final that year who knows.

Your right we should have beat storm and even then the following week Will Smith slipping over at a crucial time in that semi against the cows was a what if moment if Gutho was there or even Bevan French.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

1999 was the year IMO, we were up 10 or 12 nil at half time and bombed at least 3 tries only to get beat by the scum off a forward pass. I remembered they also scored straight off a strip off Burty. Hagan was not our friend that not. You can’t help bad luck.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Gee imagine those couple of games we had the opposition on toast like the Knights, Dolphins & Manly. And settled for 30 point wins when we should have won all those 3 games by 50+.

That Newcastle game we bombed 5 easy tries we should have scored 70 that night.

Throw in another 18 points for each of those wins and we would almost have had our F/A on par with Souths