What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re signing for 2008 and beyond

Stagger eel

Staff member
ParraDude_Jay said:
Yeah, never mind the fact that he was dominating as a fullback at the end of the season, he should button his lip and make way for Luke f**king Burt, eh?

You're kidding, I'm glad some of you fluffy forum posters aren't running the club, we wouldn't have moved foward at all in 10 years. Good clubman or not, Luke Burt is not in the class of Jarryd Hayne, at all, no matter what anybody here says, Hayne is lightyears ahead of Burt.

I'm not disappointed that Burt is staying, but if Jarryd Hayne leaves then Burt will cop the blame for me, not Jason Taylor or Russell Crowe. I read in the paper about Crocker volunteering to take a paycut to keep Clint Newton at the Storm, that's being a good clubman, not holding back the younger and better players like Burt will be doing if he doesn't step aside and let Jarryd play his rightful position.

the epitome of the knee jerk reaction....what about the bloke who is supposed to have made the decision to sign Luke???? you know the bloke who signed the worst forward in the ESL and the worst five-eight in the NRL???

there may well be some fluffy forum posters in here but there's also some f**kwits as well..

Ron Jeremy

Coach
eelavation said:
the epitome of the knee jerk reaction....what about the bloke who is supposed to have made the decision to sign Luke???? you know the bloke who signed the worst forward in the ESL and the worst five-eight in the NRL???

there may well be some fluffy forum posters in here but there's also some f**kwits as well..

I think PJD is talking about prioritising our signings, Hayne is 19 and the next big superstar, Burt is what 27? with zilch representitive honours, Hayne has already been chosen for Australia at 19.

Most proactive clubs would be making sure the next crop of superstars are signed before offereing retirements contracts to our veterans, not saying Burt is a bad player? he's had a terrific year and would still love to keep him, but any smart club would make sure Inu & Hayne are stiched up first.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
big boppa eel said:
RJ i think parra will move heaven and earth to keep Hayne but if people have been in his ear and offering him the world or what not than he will hp people are saying in this forum if we let him go they will be pissed, but if a player want's to move on and his mind is made he will move on not matter how crazy the decision may be.

Thats fine, but if it comes down to a lousy $50,000 extra offered to him by Souths and Dennis comes out and says "our cap is full" then i will be pissed.

We lost one superstar this year, a huge loss, to loose two in two years (possibly 3 with Inu) would be a disaster.

Gronk

Staff member
Parramatta yesterday extended the contracts of four players but the two it covets most -- outside backs Jarryd Hayne and Krisnan Inu -- remain off contract at the end of next year.

Talks with Hayne and Inu have been put on hold until they complete their international duties.

Yesterday, the Eels announced the retention of prop Fuifui Moimoi for a further two years and fullback Luke Burt until the end of 2010. The club also extended the contracts of youngsters Taulima Tautai and Tim Mannah.

Hayne and Inu are expected to attract attention from a host of clubs should the Eels be unable to strike extensions with the pair.

Already, Hayne has been linked to South Sydney, one of the former clubs of his father Manoa Thompson.

Hayne's manager Wayne Beavis said they were in no hurry to determine his future. "He will be there for another year," Beavis said.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22521497-2722,00.html

Stagger eel

Staff member
Ron Jeremy said:
I think PJD is talking about prioritising our signings, Hayne is 19 and the next big superstar, Burt is what 27? with zilch representitive honours, Hayne has already been chosen for Australia at 19.

Most proactive clubs would be making sure the next crop of superstars are signed before offereing retirements contracts to our veterans, not saying Burt is a bad player? he's had a terrific year and would still love to keep him, but any smart club would make sure Inu & Hayne are stiched up first.

in a squad of 25 to 30 players you can't just halt negotiations with every mofo in the side because 1 bloke has decided that he doesn't want to talk for a while, everyone knows that Burt is not going to cost us that much and actually took a pay cut in his last contract to sign with us and who's to know whether Burt was attracting interest elsewhere so we signed him up when we could.

Who knows, if rumours are true and Hayne has already agreed to terms with Souths than Parra did the right thing in signing Burt before we lost him also. Believe me, Hayne has made his decision and either way it would not have been affected by Burts signing. What decision is that is anyone's guess.

emjaycee

Coach
eelavation said:
in a squad of 25 to 30 players you can't just halt negotiations with every mofo in the side because 1 bloke has decided that he doesn't want to talk for a while

:clap: :clap: :clap:

If rugby league was an individual sport, then yes, I would expect Parramatta to concentrate on Hayne, however there are a squad of 25+ players needed to get on the field and therefore ALL 25 spots need to be confirmed and signatures obtained ASAP.

Bigfella

Coach
Correct me if I'm wrong buddy, but I'm sure you were arguing against Ben Smith moving to the forwards mid season.
Also, you were saying what a crap buy Ian Hindmarsh was, and weren't picking him in your team.
Not sure if you still think that.

Suity

No I definitely made both of those points this year.

I have certainly changed my mind for a couple of reasons:

1. On Ben I more than understand the argument (I used it myself) that if he is showing lack of penetration and leg drive from the centres it may mean he has no go forward in the back row - and I can understand why everyone doesn;t want another tackiling backrower who doesn;t threaten the advantage line. But like Fathead, I think we looked better both in attack and defense when Ben was out. He also had a good strong patch of form from about round 5 or 6 for several weeks, and I thought he was a chance for one of the Origins. But to be honest, he wernt off the boil seevrely in attack and defense.

I was certainly against changing him mid season. I would give him the off season to adjust to the idea, and trian, and receive any additional coaching. As I said in another post recently, I think one of his problems coming off the line from the centres is a lack of acceleration (I don't agree he has no pace, we have seen him score some long range tries). I think his frame and his hitting ability and his pace can be better used than they are being now. I think a move to the forwards may be what's needed to get the best out of him (and when he is good he is very good). I think Reddy, who is not even a natural centre, combined better with Eric in attack and defence.

Also our backrow depth is a little different now than it was halfway through the year, when we still had Zeb and Ian, and Wags was in far stronger form.

And on Ian, well there is no doubt he definitely changed my mind and I think outside of Fui and Pig was our best forward for the last 8 matches or so. I have no problem in saying that I changed my mind on him - but I think even he would agree that his end of season form was 100 times better than his early and mid-season form. Probably due to the fact that he could see the end in sight and was leaving nothing in the tank. he admitted himself that if he went another year he couldn't sustain the form.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who changed their mind on Ian's form and the question of whether he was a good buy.

So yes, I changed my mind on both to a degree - but quite frankly both of them were in very different form at the end of the year than they were in the middle.

yy_cheng

Coach
Ian started quite poorly imho but when he started playing prop he changed his form around

Eelementary

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
PLAYER SIGNINGS
2 October 2007

The Parramatta National Rugby League Club is delighted to announce that the following players have today agreed to terms to remain at the Club.

Luke Burt (08,09,10)
Fuifui Moimoi (08,09)
Taulima Tautai (08,09)
Tim Mannah (08,09)

Parramatta Eels Chief Executive Denis Fitzgerald says it is good news for the Club.

"The future of the Club looks very bright when players of this calibre re-sign. Luke and Fuifui have been regular members of the NRL squad for a number of years now and had tremendous seasons in 2007. Taulima and Tim were both involved in Grand Finals in Premier League and Jersey Flegg respectively and will be pushing for a crack at the NRL in 2008," Mr Fitzgerald said.

http://www.parraeels.com.au/news/news1659.asp

Interesting...So can we assume that, if we have injuries or suspensions and Tautai's and Mannah's form is good enough, that these lads may make their First Grade debuts?

Pazza

First Grade
i think tautai is ready but i'd give mannah another year, he was very good against the panthers but first grade is a huge jump up for a prop. very excited about having cayless, fui, cords and mannah all in the same side

Stagger eel

Staff member
Eelementary said:
Interesting...So can we assume that, if we have injuries or suspensions and Tautai's and Mannah's form is good enough, that these lads may make their First Grade debuts?

that's right..Taulima's had 1 and a half seasons in PL and could be ready to make the step up next season and no doubt that we'd need him to at some stage.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Pazza said:
i think tautai is ready but i'd give mannah another year, he was very good against the panthers but first grade is a huge jump up for a prop. very excited about having cayless, fui, cords and mannah all in the same side

yep..another year for Timmy although I can see him been thrown in the Wentworthville line up at some stage.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Pazza said:
doesn't tim qualify for that new comp

yes he does..and that's where the problem/confusion lies..do we throw Timmy amongst a bunch of hard heads on a saturday afternoon at Ringrose park or does fly to North Queensland to play the NYC as a curtain raiser to firstgrade? no one really knows where the better preperation will be for a player like Mannah.

Suitman

Post Whore
Bigfella said:
No I definitely made both of those points this year.

I have certainly changed my mind for a couple of reasons:

1. On Ben I more than understand the argument (I used it myself) that if he is showing lack of penetration and leg drive from the centres it may mean he has no go forward in the back row - and I can understand why everyone doesn;t want another tackiling backrower who doesn;t threaten the advantage line. But like Fathead, I think we looked better both in attack and defense when Ben was out. He also had a good strong patch of form from about round 5 or 6 for several weeks, and I thought he was a chance for one of the Origins. But to be honest, he wernt off the boil seevrely in attack and defense.

I was certainly against changing him mid season. I would give him the off season to adjust to the idea, and trian, and receive any additional coaching. As I said in another post recently, I think one of his problems coming off the line from the centres is a lack of acceleration (I don't agree he has no pace, we have seen him score some long range tries). I think his frame and his hitting ability and his pace can be better used than they are being now. I think a move to the forwards may be what's needed to get the best out of him (and when he is good he is very good). I think Reddy, who is not even a natural centre, combined better with Eric in attack and defence.

Also our backrow depth is a little different now than it was halfway through the year, when we still had Zeb and Ian, and Wags was in far stronger form.

And on Ian, well there is no doubt he definitely changed my mind and I think outside of Fui and Pig was our best forward for the last 8 matches or so. I have no problem in saying that I changed my mind on him - but I think even he would agree that his end of season form was 100 times better than his early and mid-season form. Probably due to the fact that he could see the end in sight and was leaving nothing in the tank. he admitted himself that if he went another year he couldn't sustain the form.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who changed their mind on Ian's form and the question of whether he was a good buy.

So yes, I changed my mind on both to a degree - but quite frankly both of them were in very different form at the end of the year than they were in the middle.

Cheers mate.
You have satisfied my curiosity now. I was quite confused for a while there as I clearly remember the original statements and then saw a partial backflip.
It all makes plenty of sense.

Suity

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
eelavation said:
that's right..Taulima's had 1 and a half seasons in PL and could be ready to make the step up next season and no doubt that we'd need him to at some stage.

Benny is gonna be looking over his shoulder very soon with Taulima and Tony Williams putting pressure on him.

If he is gonna be in the team for his defence, he needs to consider a move to the forwards, we cant continue to leave these kids in park footy or they'll find another club to play at.

They have plenty of poternial where as Benny has probably reached his peak and offers nothing in attack.

strider

Post Whore
in all honesty I don't rate tony williams as a good centre - i reckon he needs to be a back rower .... he just seems too slow motion for the centres (if you know what i mean - more a athletic back rower)