What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment?

playdaball

Bench
From what I'm hearing, there is a fairly real chance we'll again be loaded with cash under the salary cap, with no one worthy to throw it to. Particularly if Mateo leaves to the Dragons. Its something strategically the Warriors need to look at. Matt Elliott has admitted as much he never thought it'd be as hard as it is to get Australian players to Auckland. Strategically then what are the options - one, Super 15 players who aren't going to make the All Blacks (I've heard Charles Piatau is one they would like), English players (if we're talking Burgess, Graham, Tomkins standards, that would be good but unlikely), three, the ARLC looks at as a significant issue and chooses to find options to help the Warriors get access to players. Tricky situation. Its very feasible that the Warriors targets, Tomkins, Bakuya, and whomever the Queensland centre they're talking about don't come, and the Warriors first grade squad loses the likes of Feleti Mateo. It could be disastrous, despite all efforts for it not to be.

The issue with trying to attract Aussies here has been around for ages - I'm not sure why this is news to Mr Elliot, surely he did due dilligence before accepting the job? The same issue applies to Canberra (to a certain extent) so he must have experienced it previously.

If this is the one issue holding back players from crossing the Tasman they can work around it? Feka has listed some ideas but one thing that the club has done well over the years is to target 2nd string players and give them an opportunity tom play 1st grade i.e Luck, Death, Mears, Maloney, Henderson, Gatis etc.
Another is to look at returning Kiwis from the ESL or NRL i.e. Wiki, Swann (2nd time around - ok forget that 'pass' vs Parra). Fa'alogo came back from ESL (as did Leualai) he would have been good for the Warriors. Hape is another that would have been a good target.

There seems to be a lot of talk, a lot of spare cash but no real results to date.

s15 players are a good target especially as some would have RL experience. I cant see Charles Piatua coming as he'll be an AB soon.

spear tackle

Juniors
Where there any players in the Tongan or Samoan sides from the weekend that were not under contract to anyone? My guess is they are already targeted by other clubs.
Canberra used to get alot of thier players from the islands or from the NZ comp I take it the Warriors net has been cast far and wide in our own backyard? By that I mean South Islands West Coast or Far North? Or do they just have a glance at whats happening here in Auckland?
I read somewhere that a few years back some local kid winger had some kind of junior role in the club but was told he was too small to ever play NRL by a recruitment manager so he went to the Roosters and has not looked back. Talk about the one that got away, this one was gifted away.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Where there any players in the Tongan or Samoan sides from the weekend that were not under contract to anyone? My guess is they are already targeted by other clubs.
Canberra used to get alot of thier players from the islands or from the NZ comp I take it the Warriors net has been cast far and wide in our own backyard? By that I mean South Islands West Coast or Far North? Or do they just have a glance at whats happening here in Auckland?
I read somewhere that a few years back some local kid winger had some kind of junior role in the club but was told he was too small to ever play NRL by a recruitment manager so he went to the Roosters and has not looked back. Talk about the one that got away, this one was gifted away.

Sounds like SKD. Was told he wasn't in the top 50 wingers/centres in the country.

tangalife

Juniors
God that 'too small to play league' phrase. Do you know many players that has been said too? Thurston, Preston Campbell, Locke, etc etc all these guys got told that and some had to move to different clubs such a big rub in the face. If you have raw talent that compensates for your size, or you can use your small size to your advantage (Ben Barba) then that should be okay!

In regards to Recruitment and Matt Elliott, he knew it would be hard but probably not ridiculously hard. Steve Price and Ruben Wiki had to be sold huge to get them to come over (this was talked about on radiosport today also). Carney saying no to an extra $300k just tells you how hard it really is.

Iafeta

Referee
Every club would have those stories of players they had, but they didn't get a go for whatever reason (size, behavioural aspects, playing ability). Some players bloom a bit later than normal.

spear tackle

Juniors
trouble is we seem to have a fair few stories of the ones that got away and not a lot of the ones that got away from other clubs and made a long career of it here. The ones that do usually shoot through as soon as they can.
I know NZ is a bit of an outpost when it comes to league but as stated before Price loved it here. He hasn't left the country yet as far as I know.
Just to add we seem to be in awe of these big as U20's players, that flatten the opposition until they get to reserve grade but tend to ignore some of the smaller ones that really may not shine til they hit the NSW cup but a lot don't make it there because "they are too small"

playdaball

Bench
Why not use Steve Price and his family to attract players here i.e. " we came here 5 years ago and now love the place. Auckland is a great city to live in, my wife and kids love it here etc etc".

Cleary liked it here too.

playdaball

Bench
I heard a strange rumor today at work ...

The Warriors are trying to sign a Qld centre with family here in Auckland, a hint to his name...

he currently plays for the Warratahs and has played AFL too

Iafeta

Referee
Surely that's not the Queensland centre? That'd be a miracle play. Can't see it happening. Have heard though that a Queensland centre was in the mix though... so, I guess, maybe? Perhaps if we didn't get Tomkins, Falou could play fullback in the Inglis mould and Locke to five eighth?

playdaball

Bench
Surely that's not the Queensland centre? That'd be a miracle play. Can't see it happening. Have heard though that a Queensland centre was in the mix though... so, I guess, maybe? Perhaps if we didn't get Tomkins, Falou could play fullback in the Inglis mould and Locke to five eighth?

Ha ha slim chance that we'd get players like that. At the moment we could be without Godinet and Mateo.

Surely they wont go hard out for Manu on top dollars?

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
I think everyone is TRYING to sign Folau, it's another thing if we end up getting him. At least the club is being active in trying to get big names across..

Wouldn't mind taking a shot at Dugan. Few kava bowls and hell be hooked and will say goodbye to the grog.