What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe Dolphins

Broncomum

Juniors
Those strong histories also include a great deal of animosity from supporters of other QRL clubs, severely restricting them from growing their supporter base.

Many Brisbanites would rather follow a Sydney club than bloody Redcliffe.

Sounds like some spirited competition could ensue from that sort of description; a bit of Qld-style passion, tribal instincts, etc etc.
Sounds a bit more interesting than when the Crushers were around.
;)

They have a proven record, they have the facilities and they would easily have the manpower needed.
Yep, they may also have 'haters' , but most successes do!
:lol:

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Well the Redcliffe supporters have had their little moment in the sun now this article has been published. The deluded sense of importance has been stroked and now normal service will resume.

The notion will be quickly forgotten until the next time a Courier-Mail journo visits Dolphin Oval. Not that they are often seen at QRL grounds.

fightingirish69

Juniors
Those strong histories also include a great deal of animosity from supporters of other QRL clubs, severely restricting them from growing their supporter base.

Many Brisbanites would rather follow a Sydney club than bloody Redcliffe.

not exactly

i'm a valleys fan .. and i wouldn't mind redcliffe playing in the nrl... for the sole reason it would be absolutely fantastic to have a club from queensland with history
artie played for reddy but so did chris close and john ribot i believe :sarcasm:

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
This is the bid I have been waiting for.

WA Reds and Sunshine Coast-Redcliffe Dolphins for 2015.

aarondoyle

Juniors
In saying all of that, my ideal team would be the Brisbane Diehards. How could the Diehards offend anyone?

I wrote on the Bombers facebook page that I thought they should instead bring back one of the dead clubs (Diehards or Brothers).

It's good PR, very left field, would get the QRL onside, and you could promote it as trying to right the wrongs the Broncos did.

Also with the Diehards (which used to be based at Albion Park near where the Bombers want to set up) you'd probably get Wally Lewis' support. He's not the biggest Broncos fan and is still involved with their juniors.

It'll never happen of course but I like the idea being out there.

Pigskin

Juniors
As an Easts Tigers fan who was present at the grand finals of 76-78 as a young tacker ... I can assure you all that Redcliffe was never one our rivalries ... well at least certainly not of last century

Valleys - scum ... Wests - scum ... thankfully neither exist today

Leigh and others are correct though, allegiances from the old BRL days do not work well with a team like Redcliffe building their fan base

imho ... build the stadium somewhere up there, start hosting novelty games, then get Redcliffe into the big time ... like in about 2040

don't like any of the SQ bids ... somebody form another bid so we have a partner that is useful to go along with Perth

Oink !

I wouldn't call it a bid at the moment they are just looking at their options.

If they did go ahead thay have said they would be playing out of Suncorp Stadium then maybe if another stadium got built somewhere out the Narangba, Burpengary area along the rail link they would look at it.

They wouldn't be calling themselves Redcliffe it would be something Dolphins with a view of a catchment area from northern Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast.

I see positives and negatives we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Goddo

Bench
Clearly, a Sunshine Coast/Redcliffe team would make sense in Queensland, as would an Ipswich/Logan club, and a second city club (so long as its distinct from the Broncos).

Redcliffe were on the Bombers bandwagon but now seem to be off it. Souths-Logan were behind the Jets bid but were anounced as backers for the Bombers.

SE Queensland is itching for another side, but needs a bit of direction - its cut throat competition to be the QRL club(s) backing the winner at the moment.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Stupid idea

again.... minimalising potential support

If I live in Wynnum .. or Capalaba ... or any other Brisbane suburb

why would I follow Redcliffe ?:?

ridiculous :roll:

Stupid idea

again.... minimalising potential support

If I live in Wynnum .. or Capalaba ... or any other Brisbane suburb

why would I follow Redcliffe ?:?

ridiculous :roll:

Same things could be said about Western Corridor. Why would someone from the Sunshine Coast, Redcliffe or Redlands Shire support a team out west?

Then again why would someone from Ipswich, Toowoomba, Redcliffe or Logan support a team from Brisbane?

Or why would someone from Brisbane support a team from either Ipswich or Redcliffe or Sunshine Coast?

This is where community engagement becomes gold. If you engage your communities from the very start, problems like this will be mostly abolished. Perfect example is Central Coast and North Sydney. It's not because of the "Bears" brand, that we have captured the hearts and minds of many CC residents but because of the underrated (especially on this board) community engagement, initiatives and hard work. CQ and WA avoid this problem as well due to regional bid and state wide bid.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yes. Finally a Brisbane bid that ticks the boxes!!! They have a supporter base, History, Juniors. They aren't too far to take in Sunshine coast as part of the catchment.

Spitty

Juniors
Maybe the NRL could admit the Bombers, then a Sydney team can re-locate and merge with Redcliffe and we could have 3 teams playing out of Suncorp :crazy: :crazy:

All these many Brisbane bids do is split the loyalties of the potential Brisbane fans.

And if one of them actually does get in, do the supporters of a different bid now support the successful bid?

I like the idea of a second Brisbane team, but they really need to unite and gain united public support. Because as it stand's Dolphins fans support the Dolphins, Jets fans support the Western Corridor and people who hate the Broncos; the Dolphins; And the Jets support the Bombers.

Latest posts