What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe put their hand up

The Great Dane

First Grade
They should have made it 20k or 25k with covered stands.
Even that would be too small for a successful Brisbane club... You'd need a capacity of at least 30k.

Besides, playing out of Redcliffe would make it vary inconvenient for 80% of the population of the city to attend, so it'd basically be commercial suicide. Then again, Redcliffe's bid isn't about building a successful football business it's about a rich leagues club buying an NRL license as a status symbol.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Even that would be too small for a successful Brisbane club... You'd need a capacity of at least 30k.

Besides, playing out of Redcliffe would make it vary inconvenient for 80% of the population of the city to attend, so it'd basically be commercial suicide. Then again, Redcliffe's bid isn't about building a successful football business it's about a rich leagues club buying an NRL license as a status symbol.
Again with the BS. Redcliffe run a hugely successful Football club.

I don't see anything wrong with the Dolphins focusing on Moreton Bay so another team can be based south of the river, taking in eastern Brisbane, Logan and Redlands. Broncos can focus on western suburbs, northern suburbs and Ipswich.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Again with the BS. Redcliffe run a hugely successful Football club.
Here we go with the bs semantics game about 'football clubs' when it was obvious that I was talking about the football business as opposed to the leagues club/gambling business.

Unless you're seriously going to argue that the Dolphin's QRL team makes a profit?

Because, without even looking at their annual report, I'll tell you right now that it's never made a dime and that it's totally subsidised by their pokies.

flippikat

Bench
I don't see anything wrong with the Dolphins focusing on Moreton Bay so another team can be based south of the river, taking in eastern Brisbane, Logan and Redlands. Broncos can focus on western suburbs, northern suburbs and Ipswich.
Firehawks makes the most sense *by far* as the 2nd Brisbane team - Redcliffe maybe as a 3rd, but to be brutally honest there's plenty of other markets in need of an NRL team before Brisbane3/SE Qld 4 that can grow the pie more than further saturating SE Qld.

The Great Dane

First Grade
So there's nothing wrong with tiny suburban clubs that survive exclusively off handouts from leagues clubs and the NRL? I think the history of the sport in this country would suggest that is incorrect, and that repeating the mistakes made in Sydney in other cities would be a monumentally stupid idea.

You're not even addressing the point I was making in that post anyway.

Firehawks makes the most sense *by far* as the 2nd Brisbane team - Redcliffe maybe as a 3rd, but to be brutally honest there's plenty of other markets in need of an NRL team before Brisbane3/SE Qld 4 that can grow the pie more than further saturating SE Qld.
NZ 2 and Perth should be ahead of Bris 3. I just cannot see the myopic ARLC adding NZ 2 or Perth ahead of Bris 3 under COVID-19, which is probably here to stay for a few more years. Travel will be limited with the borders closed, which doesn't bode well for Perth and NZ 2. It all comes down to money and security, which Bris 2 and 3 provide through their rich Leagues Clubs.

So there's nothing wrong with tiny suburban clubs that survive exclusively off handouts from leagues clubs and the NRL? I think the history of the sport in this country would suggest that is incorrect, and that repeating the mistakes made in Sydney in other cities would be a monumentally stupid idea.

You're not even addressing the point I was making in that post anyway.
I wouldn't add the Dolphins as the 2nd club. I think Brisbane 2 has to be based in the inner suburbs, south of the river and cover the eastern side of the metro area.

If the ARLC is stupid enough to give Redcliffe the licence then it should be as Brisbane Dolphins, with their logo showing a dolphin launching itself from the Brisbane River, near the CBD. Similar to the Brisbane Jets logo. Brisbane is known as The River City, so it's something the team should adopt to make it stand out as an extension of Brisbane.

Dolphins would work great as a regional club covering Moreton Bay, but only after the Firehawks are introduced as Bris 2. Moreton Bay is almost as big as the Gold Coast and growing rapidly. It will have 690k in 2041

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wouldn't add the Dolphins as the 2nd club. I think Brisbane 2 has to be based in the inner suburbs, south of the river and cover the eastern side of the metro area.

If the ARLC is stupid enough to give Redcliffe the licence then it should be as Brisbane Dolphins, with their logo showing a dolphin launching itself from the Brisbane River, near the CBD. Similar to the Brisbane Jets logo. Brisbane is known as The River City, so it's something the team should adopt to make it stand out as an extension of Brisbane.

Dolphins would work great as a regional club covering Moreton Bay, but only after the Firehawks are introduced as Bris 2. Moreton Bay is almost as big as the Gold Coast and growing rapidly. It will have 690k in 2041

you slam manly for being a small suburban club stuck on a peninsula with ltd appeal to a large population, but want to do the same in Redcliffe? Saying Moreton bay has 500k people to appeal to is like saying Northern Sydney has 1million so Manly have relevance.
Brisbane, and the NRL doesn't need three clubs, it needs two hugely successful ones based at Suncorp and a popular second division in QRL cup. That's where a club like Redcliffe belongs.

Jim Rockford

Bench
Hahaha talking about putting a club in a bad geographic location. What do you call putting the ButtPirates on the opposite side of the continent? The only place a team like Perth belongs is in your wet-dreams.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Here we go with the bs semantics game about 'football clubs' when it was obvious that I was talking about the football business as opposed to the leagues club/gambling business.

Unless you're seriously going to argue that the Dolphin's QRL team makes a profit?

Because, without even looking at their annual report, I'll tell you right now that it's never made a dime and that it's totally subsidised by their pokies.
I know exactly what you are trying to imply... which is what you've been trying to imply all along. No, of course a Q Cup team alone doesn't make a profit (do any of them?). But outside of the pokie den, they've actually invested well and have revenue generating assets greater than most NRL clubs and at the same time run a very successful football club.

you slam manly for being a small suburban club stuck on a peninsula with ltd appeal to a large population, but want to do the same in Redcliffe? Saying Moreton bay has 500k people to appeal to is like saying Northern Sydney has 1million so Manly have relevance.
Brisbane, and the NRL doesn't need three clubs, it needs two hugely successful ones based at Suncorp and a popular second division in QRL cup. That's where a club like Redcliffe belongs.
Whinge all you like, but the financial strength, location and history of the Dolphins in the world's second largest RL city make them a great asset to the NRL. You can death ride them all you like, but the few similarities they share with Manly are dwarfed by their many differences, and they're also a safer option than the West Coast Pirates, hence the reason your bid is not a legitimate contender.

Manly and Redcliffe are incomparable as one calls itself after a tiny suburb and relishes on its us vs them mentality, whereas the other plans on appealing to a large area and segment of the population. If they were to enter as the Redcliffe Dolphins and play all of their matches out of a 10k stadium then you would have a point, but they're not so it's irrelevant.

If Manly became the North Sydney Sea Eagles in 1998 and marketed itself across the North Shore, Northern Beaches and Central Coast then it would be one of the largest and most important clubs in the NRL.

mongoose

Coach
Fire hawks are hodge podge team with no real point of difference. Only geography will allow new team to be different.

In any case Dolphins are getting in so nothing said here will make difference
It needs to be a 2nd Brisbane team though, not a redcliffe team.

MugaB

Coach
Doesn't need another broncos.

Dolphins a Brisbane team representing region of 500k.
Playing at Suncorp, don't forget thats the important part, it automatically pitts them against the broncos, (as does all other bids)
The difference is it represents the northern suburbs of brisbane reaching to sunshine coast, thus not encroaching on the broncos or titans areas, and still uses Suncorp as its home base

Perth Red

Post Whore
NZ 2 and Perth should be ahead of Bris 3. I just cannot see the myopic ARLC adding NZ 2 or Perth ahead of Bris 3 under COVID-19, which is probably here to stay for a few more years. Travel will be limited with the borders closed, which doesn't bode well for Perth and NZ 2. It all comes down to money and security, which Bris 2 and 3 provide through their rich Leagues Clubs.
Reality is unless Vlandys pulls a miracle and gets FTA to buy the 9th game in this tv deal its going to be 5-7 years before the 18th team comes in anyways