What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reece Robson Leaving

BennyV

Referee
Just on the quoted text Benny, I'm wondering what more you believe Millward can do? He's kept them through the lower grades and got them to a point where we, at least, believe they are ready for some time in first grade (or at least more time). If the coach isn't willing to promote them, then I'm wondering what more can be done?
Oh don’t get me wrong, I don’t blame Millward for this. I don’t think he’s doing as jizz-worthy a job as some others do in terms of recruitment/retention, but he’s bringing youngsters through to the cusp of first grade. The fact that they aren’t getting any first grade opportunity, further development and subsequently are looking elsewhere is entirely on the coach.

The point I’m making is that the club (and portions of the fan base) just accept it as inevitable with a ‘oh well, you can’t keep them all’ type attitude. It’s rubbish. We can definitely keep the ones we want. And the club on a whole (via the coach) is failing in this regard if Lomax or Robson walk.

BLM01

First Grade
It is Millward who decides whether Lomax, Robson or Field are extended. It is mary who decides whether any of the above 3 players will get any time in first grade.
The 1st sentence is rubbish. Mary makes out recruitment is not his thing but the coaching staff have a huge input who they want to chase, keep etc and now Mick Crawley as an advisor. The others work out the $$$ we have and planning which Mary was involved with originally
All that talk about recruitment being a distraction for Mary was spin as he had Mulholland doing behind the scenes deals and dealing with the managers and $$ but no one worth while helping planning, balancing and managing the cap apart from them 2 after Doust & Young stuffed it up with GO-LO shopping
Sentence 2 is correct but now Mick Crawley may have some input going forward. Watch this space.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Now for the second week in a row, Robson didn't make the first team cut.
Very disappointed indeed.
Hooker are normally good tacklers.
Bench forwards are suppose to come on and take their amount of tackles, to ease the work load from the others.
So why can't Robson be on the bench?

Old Timer

Coach
Now for the second week in a row, Robson didn't make the first team cut.
Very disappointed indeed.
Hooker are normally good tacklers.
Bench forwards are suppose to come on and take their amount of tackles, to ease the work load from the others.
So why can't Robson be on the bench?
Because we don't have to do any tackling while Dufty is on as he is there to attack and they won't get any ball whilst he is on there?

Changa

Juniors
Basil does have some blame here. We lost 2 first-grade wingers last year, and he failed to replace either with an experienced, quality winger.

It's not Mika's fault, but he was completely out of sorts last night. His poor centre partner plays a big role in that too. We got away with carrying 1 defensive liability last year on the right in Aitken, but we saw the result of having 2 passengers on the right side last night. It was embarrassing.

Old Timer

Coach
Basil does have some blame here. We lost 2 first-grade wingers last year, and he failed to replace either with an experienced, quality winger.

It's not Mika's fault, but he was completely out of sorts last night. His poor centre partner plays a big role in that too. We got away with carrying 1 defensive liability last year on the right in Aitken, but we saw the result of having 2 passengers on the right side last night. It was embarrassing.
2 passengers only ??? there is no doubt in my mind that Aitken, Ravalawa, Hunt & Leilua are all passengers in defence.

Tripper

Juniors
As Freddy said about giving Field a go. Absolutely nothing to lose. But my mail is Parra & Manly are chasing him.

possm

Coach
2 passengers only ??? there is no doubt in my mind that Aitken, Ravalawa, Hunt & Leilua are all passengers in defence.

And yet Mary can't see that. Even when it was just close to a try against us, Mary should have at least switched Sims and Leilua. Sims is experienced enough to play wither side of the field however, Leilua is struggling to be effective on his favoured side - left side.

Host was good on the right in the first half. He and Hunt seemed to work well together. Aiken seemed to be OK at first however, as the game went on he fell into his old style of play. Aitken just loves to grab the ball and bulldozer his way towards the line without even a thought to offload to his winger.

Ravalawa well what a mess. Being fair you would have to be privy to what Mary's instructions were prior to the game in order to work out why he played so poorly. I remember after Lomax came on the scene, Mary got a hold of him and told him to forget about the fancy stuff, just get to the ball and run hard and straight. Most importantly get a quick play the ball away. After that Lomax played very ordinary in the Charity Shield game.

Let's put K Sims, Pearson and Lomax on the right and see if that improves things. Leilua, Aitken, Ravalawa and Latimore back to CC. Select a prop rotation of Vaughan, Kerr, Graham and Timm and see if that combination can do the trick up front. More importantly forget about a back on the bench, go for four forwards with Robson select in the 14 jumper:

1. Dufty
2. Pereira
3. Lomax
4. Lafai - with a caution not to deliver silly passes
5. Pearson
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Kerr
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T Sims
12. K Sims
13. Lawrie

14. Robson
15. Graham
16. Timm
17. Host

Out with injury - Widdop - if injured or not - face saver.

Dropped to CC - Aitken, Ravalawa, Leilua, Latimore.

LINESPEED

Juniors
And yet Mary can't see that. Even when it was just close to a try against us, Mary should have at least switched Sims and Leilua. Sims is experienced enough to play wither side of the field however, Leilua is struggling to be effective on his favoured side - left side.

Host was good on the right in the first half. He and Hunt seemed to work well together. Aiken seemed to be OK at first however, as the game went on he fell into his old style of play. Aitken just loves to grab the ball and bulldozer his way towards the line without even a thought to offload to his winger.

Ravalawa well what a mess. Being fair you would have to be privy to what Mary's instructions were prior to the game in order to work out why he played so poorly. I remember after Lomax came on the scene, Mary got a hold of him and told him to forget about the fancy stuff, just get to the ball and run hard and straight. Most importantly get a quick play the ball away. After that Lomax played very ordinary in the Charity Shield game.

Let's put K Sims, Pearson and Lomax on the right and see if that improves things. Leilua, Aitken, Ravalawa and Latimore back to CC. Select a prop rotation of Vaughan, Kerr, Graham and Timm and see if that combination can do the trick up front. More importantly forget about a back on the bench, go for four forwards with Robson select in the 14 jumper:

1. Dufty
2. Pereira
3. Lomax
5. Pearson
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Kerr
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T Sims
12. K Sims
13. Lawrie

14. Robson
15. Graham
16. Timm
17. Host

Don’t mind your team Possm.

Perhaps keep Luc as he’s learning & another sacking might finish him

He, Kerr & Sims can break the line & he does have that silky offload?
Bennett targeted him & Waterboy couldn’t counter to protect him

I just have to fit Widdop in for Lafai though - it brings Widdop closer to the play as well & I would love to see him putting Field through on the left side wing.

If Widdop gets the jack of it, or we get cap money for JDB use it to secure Lomax Robson & Field long term ASAP

Lafai’s probably had his one reasonable game in 4 - which has been enough for some to carry him for the next 3.
He cannot score a self made long distance try.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Throw Hunt into that right side mix, too.

Pandemonium.

And to think, many thought Nightingale was the only problem.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

1. Dufty
2. Pereira
3. Lomax
5. Pearson
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Kerr
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T Sims
12. K Sims
13. Lawrie

14. Robson
15. Graham
16. Timm
17. Host

Choosing a brace of players without much (or any) NRL experience is fraught with danger as we’ve seen with Ravalawa.

Unfortunately due to Millward’s incompetence, Maranta is the only winger with any semblance of playing first grade on a week-to-week basis.

It’s both a mess and manifestation of horrendous recruitment during the off-season.

Belta

Juniors

Yep I’m that’s how I’m seeing it.

It’s a far cry from how Brisbane played last night. Our opponents next week currently look like they can defend thier line all night long. Lets hope the Dragons are doing tackling practice at training this week.

Old Timer

Coach
Don’t mind your team Possm.

Perhaps keep Luc as he’s learning & another sacking might finish him

He, Kerr & Sims can break the line & he does have that silky offload?
Bennett targeted him & Waterboy couldn’t counter to protect him

I just have to fit Widdop in for Lafai though - it brings Widdop closer to the play as well & I would love to see him putting Field through on the left side wing.

If Widdop gets the jack of it, or we get cap money for JDB use it to secure Lomax Robson & Field long term ASAP

Lafai’s probably had his one reasonable game in 4 - which has been enough for some to carry him for the next 3.
He cannot score a self made long distance try.
Leilua has been dining out (in more ways than one) on the "silky offload" for years.
Not tough enough and probably not good enough for NRL unless playing as a ball player in a team that is almost impregnable in defence.
Look at Bryce Cartwright if you want to see how Luc ends up.

Crush

Coach
Back on Reece Robson, is there any substance to the talk that he is leaving?
Surely he cannot stay with McInnes in front of him and Mary publicly stating that while ever he is coach he was ALWAYS carry a utility back on the bench.
If I were Robson I'd be out of there.
Unless ofcourse Mary was to be removed then potentially sanity would prevail and he'd be on the bench and pushing McInnes for the starting spot.

Latest posts