What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

Someone on Youtube has uploaded a few full episodes of this. I remember being gutted when it didn't come back for a third season but Frontline came soon after then Martin/Molloy...

One of my all time favourite shows. I got the “champagne edition” on DVD a few years ago. There’s a commentary version that’s actually brilliant if you know the skits well. Best viewed nursing a hangover with greasy food on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

axl rose

Bench
Thanks mate. It was killing me all week. That would explain why it didnt last, trying to be a footy show style.

I remember Channel 7 still had their league show on a Sunday morning, right before the Sunday Footy Show.

Graham Hughes was the host with Roy Masters, Steve Mortimer I think. Wasnt a bad show.
Yes, I remember this. There was talk of channel 7 bidding for league and getting in bed with Super League so that's one reason these panel shows started appearing in the mid 90s.

horrie hastings

First Grade
ABC's Rugby League Match of the Day.

Televised live at 3 PM on a Saturday arvo from the SCG.

I used to go to the SCG on a Saturday with the old man whenever Manly and Easts played back in the late 1960s/early 1970s.

I remember a time when the ABC would relay the Saturday game to the regional areas live but you wouldn’t get the game on tv in Sydney till 6pm, mind you a lot of areas in Sydney could pick the regional ABC channel 5A so you could still watch it live.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I remember a time when the ABC would relay the Saturday game to the regional areas live but you wouldn’t get the game on tv in Sydney till 6pm, mind you a lot of areas in Sydney could pick the regional ABC channel 5A so you could still watch it live.
In the 1970s the only channel you could get on south coast of NSW was Channel 5A. Ghosty as all f**k.

TheFrog

Coach
Those were the days when the forebears of the NRL actually cared about crowd numbers.

horrie hastings

First Grade
In the 1970s the only channel you could get on south coast of NSW was Channel 5A. Ghosty as all f**k.

When growing up at Paddington in the late 60s we could get 5A but it was very snowy picture wise, its funny the best channel we could pick up reception wise was NBN 3 in Newcastle.

Parra

Referee
5A - meant nothing to us in Sydney. Grainy reception now and then. Turns out it was for regional areas.

horrie hastings

First Grade
5A - meant nothing to us in Sydney. Grainy reception now and then. Turns out it was for regional areas.

It was handy sometimes to watch the rugby league to see the live score when CH2 Sydney only showed the 6pm replay of the Saturday games and instead show the local rugby union at 3pm. Some areas of Sydney could pick it up crystal clear, others its was grainy and snowy.

horrie hastings

First Grade
No Names at Darlinghurst.

Father used to take us here often for dinner from the late 60s and all through the 70s, he used to work close by so we were there quite often, when really young I remember the plates of spaghetti, bread on the table, green or red cordial at the counter and for a while for Saturday lunches they had ravioli instead of spaghetti which I loved having along with the roast chicken with salad[ basically just ice berg lettuce ].
The place had hardly changed up until it closed in 2017.

Yeah I lived at Bonnet Bay in the shire as a kid, discovered 5A on the old Rank Arena telly on a hot day with grainy images of the cricket - when channel 9 only showed the final session of play.

It would only work if it was hot sunny day. Anything cloudy or cool, no deal. Got no idea behind the physics as to why.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yeah I lived at Bonnet Bay in the shire as a kid, discovered 5A on the old Rank Arena telly on a hot day with grainy images of the cricket - when channel 9 only showed the final session of play.

It would only work if it was hot sunny day. Anything cloudy or cool, no deal. Got no idea behind the physics as to why.

Yeah it was funny, at Paddington it was snowy but watchable but didn't really need to watch it at the time, when we moved to Kingsford it was not very good through the main tv ariel but when I had a portable tv in the bedroom later on with rabbit ears it was pretty good reception wise, when I lived at Darlinghurst later on it was perfect on the spare tv in the bedroom with the rabbit ears.

roofromoz

First Grade
giphy-downsized-large.gif